The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Why Don't People Vote?

Chat about anything
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Why Don't People Vote?

Post by TheLastLink »

I cannot understand it for the life of me, why people don't vote.
Or why people don't care about elections.
Or why people don't even bother to learn about either candidate.
Or why people who do vote vote on the basis of "Who seems nicer?" or "Who's more 'Hip?" or "Who should I vote for that's socially acceptable?".
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Now, I cannot speak for the people who don't pay attention to elections as I am not them. I do however know a few people who don't care to vote. From what I've gathered, by that I mean when I've asked them, they will respond with things such as "Well, both candidates are the same." and "It's not like it does any good." Which aggravate me as they aren't true, but I suppose it is up to the individuals wish- we cannot force them to vote. I find politics are very important, I wish more people did- but I am not in any room to judge as there is plenty of things I should be doing that I am not.
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

In my opinion, I don't see the point of voting if both of the candidates are going to ruin something anyhow.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

A lot of it is that fact that they don't like the outcome of what would happen. They do fail to say one way is going to happen so vote for the preferred outcome.
Magmar

Post by Magmar »

I assume you're talking about in America? Well, with the way the voting system actually works, at least with presidential elections, an individual's vote really doesn't matter considering the Electoral College makes the vote for us. Now, the EC does generally go with the popular vote from each state, but the one person's vote doesn't matter in the sense that it will change the coarse of the election. Especially if the person you would like to vote for is the opposite of the popular party in your state.

For instance, in Texas, there was really no point in voting for Obama because the state is so Republican and Pro-Romney. Your vote would never be heard.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Magmar wrote:I assume you're talking about in America? Well, with the way the voting system actually works, at least with presidential elections, an individual's vote really doesn't matter considering the Electoral College makes the vote for us. Now, the EC does generally go with the popular vote from each state, but the one person's vote doesn't matter in the sense that it will change the coarse of the election. Especially if the person you would like to vote for is the opposite of the popular party in your state.

For instance, in Texas, there was really no point in voting for Obama because the state is so Republican and Pro-Romney. Your vote would never be heard.
This is also very true, i wanted to say this but my laziness was overwhelming! So thank you for saying this!
Lysander789

Post by Lysander789 »

Either they're don't want to vote for bad candidates or they're just lazy about voting. IMO, if you don't vote, you don't have any say about elections.
Miniike

Re: Why Don't People Vote?

Post by Miniike »

enter 2016

big mouthed punching bag
naive old man
some charisma-free lady

i'm turning 18 just in time to not vote
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Miniike wrote:enter 2016

big mouthed punching bag
naive old man
some charisma-free lady

i'm turning 18 just in time to not vote
FUCK YOU JUNE 02 2016 MINIIKE YOU PIECE OF SHIT
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

god i still can't believe i was all set to not vote june last year, and then actually didn't vote

i was a shitstain omg
surbhipatel
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by surbhipatel »

In my openion,There are some people who just don't care about politics. Some people who don't vote are people in social groups.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

okay i was still a shitstain but our current system is not going to dismantle itself so pursuing it through it's own methods is pointless

still, you should keep the more right-wing people out of office soley because that's the least you can do until this godforesaken machine called late-stage capitalism chokes on its own vomit and dies