The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

So here's the thing everyone's mad at this week

Chat about anything
Miniike

So here's the thing everyone's mad at this week

Post by Miniike »

[media=youtube]w3ugHP-yZXw[/media]

You know, I actually generally like optimism.
I really like Melissa McCarthy.
I like the idea of taking a storied franchise and giving it a gender-progressive twist.
I freaking love the original Ghostbusters.
I think the idea of a remake is cool, and I'm interested in how a modern sensibility of filmmaking and comedy could inform it, maybe even changing up the main thrusts or motives of the ghosts to play on modern people's fears and insecurities, like how the original preyed on the occult fad of the time.

This...well...
[media=youtube]F6seIQ8rLp8[/media]

>also if you're wondering why i even care ghostbusters was a pretty important movie for me as a kid and now i feel like how transformers fans must have felt after micheal bay, so since i can now relate to that part of culture i am a better person
>thanks new ghostbusters
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Re: So here's the thing everyone's mad at this week

Post by ElectroYoshi »

As someone who loves the original Ghostbusters, I'm not sure it's really gaining anything from going the politically correct route, but I really don't see why it's something to get mad about.

That being said, I still don't plan on seeing it, simply because Hollywood remakes don't have a great track record these days.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

DID SUM1 SAY PATRIARCHY
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I am always super happy to see strides in representation, especially since there are very few "Action/Comedies" with a team work focus, with an entirely female leading cast. So, it is very exciting to see movie studios dabbling into that.

Uh-- I am not really a fan of Ghostbusters, so I cannot speak on what fits the franchise in terms of pacing and writing and what not. But just from second-hand cultural absorption, isn't Ghostbusters, sort of a corny, slightly dated, humour based, ghost chaser flick with a focus on the interactions between team-mates and dorky jokes? So, the trailer kind of promises that.

I really hope the focus reviewers choose isn't, "Oh it's the social justice/feminist ghost buster remake" Like, we should be able, at this point, to review a movie-- focus on its merits and flaws without needing to paint it in the narrative of their own political opinions. The viewers will decide what they feel the film was trying to say, and the reviewers are to say if they feel it succeeded or not. If it's good, great.. Hollywood made a good film... If it isn't, then alright, Hollywood didn't make a good film. I feel like having the focus of a review being that the characters are women, says more about that one random particular reviewer than the film, really.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:I am always super happy to see strides in representation, especially since there are very few "Action/Comedies" with a team work focus, with an entirely female leading cast. So, it is very exciting to see movie studios dabbling into that.

Uh-- I am not really a fan of Ghostbusters, so I cannot speak on what fits the franchise in terms of pacing and writing and what not. But just from second-hand cultural absorption, isn't Ghostbusters, sort of a corny, slightly dated, humour based, ghost chaser flick with a focus on the interactions between team-mates and dorky jokes? So, the trailer kind of promises that.

I really hope the focus reviewers choose isn't, "Oh it's the social justice/feminist ghost buster remake" Like, we should be able, at this point, to review a movie-- focus on its merits and flaws without needing to paint it in the narrative of their own political opinions. The viewers will decide what they feel the film was trying to say, and the reviewers are to say if they feel it succeeded or not. If it's good, great.. Hollywood made a good film... If it isn't, then alright, Hollywood didn't make a good film. I feel like having the focus of a review being that the characters are women, says more about that one random particular reviewer than the film, really.
Eh, fair point. The relative rarity of female protagonists in action movies is not something I'd attribute to patriarchy, but Hollywood could definitely use more of that.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I mean you could attribute it to a form of male preference.. In reality, many people bring up the "patriarchy" as a referential meme internet joke... which is, eh- needs to stop. More accurately, Hollywood is a product of its culture, which has a longer history of men in the leading roles of the entertainment industry.. It is changing, slowly, but companies are gradually learning.. I kinda wish there was more steps in serious roles, but the comedy field is an area that does need a lot of help in female representation.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Phantomboy wrote:But just from second-hand cultural absorption, isn't Ghostbusters, sort of a corny, slightly dated, humour based, ghost chaser flick with a focus on the interactions between team-mates and dorky jokes?
I agree with the stuff you said about Gender politics, as previously mentioned I really like the idea of an all-female Ghostbusters. I would also say that this is a fairly accurate description of what the trailer promises (minus "slightly dated", this looks horrifyingly of the moment), but to be frank your second-hand cultural absorption is wrong.

Ghostbusters has endured beyond most other 80s comedies for a reason. Its unconventional structure (it basically skips the first act and any character arcs, driving the plot by procedure, like the more recent The Martian), its cast of comic veterans disappearing into a trio of character performances despite how overexposed they were at the time, its efficient worldbuilding that creates a vibrant and staggeringly well realized universe without once slowing down the plot for expositional purposes, the way it takes the main plot completely seriously in a way that allows the humor to come from the main characters snarking at it and also create a coherent sense of logic and resonance, and of course its culture saviness regarding the predominant insecurities of America in the 1980s combine to create a movie that is smarter and more well structured then most people give it credit for. This trailer seems to recognize...basically none of that. I might be surprised, in fact, I'd LOVE to be surprised, that's why I don't normally watch trailers, but the fact that they chose to market it this way

Also, set aside an hour and check out this review. It comes in both text and video forms and defends the greatness of Ghostbusters more then I could ever hope to.
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Miniike wrote:
Phantomboy wrote:But just from second-hand cultural absorption, isn't Ghostbusters, sort of a corny, slightly dated, humour based, ghost chaser flick with a focus on the interactions between team-mates and dorky jokes?
I agree with the stuff you said about Gender politics, as previously mentioned I really like the idea of an all-female Ghostbusters. I would also say that this is a fairly accurate description of what the trailer promises (minus "slightly dated", this looks horrifyingly of the moment), but to be frank your second-hand cultural absorption is wrong.

Ghostbusters has endured beyond most other 80s comedies for a reason. Its unconventional structure (it basically skips the first act and any character arcs, driving the plot by procedure, like the more recent The Martian), its cast of comic veterans disappearing into a trio of character performances despite how overexposed they were at the time, its efficient worldbuilding that creates a vibrant and staggeringly well realized universe without once slowing down the plot for expositional purposes, the way it takes the main plot completely seriously in a way that allows the humor to come from the main characters snarking at it and also create a coherent sense of logic and resonance, and of course its culture saviness regarding the predominant insecurities of America in the 1980s combine to create a movie that is smarter and more well structured then most people give it credit for. This trailer seems to recognize...basically none of that. I might be surprised, in fact, I'd LOVE to be surprised, that's why I don't normally watch trailers, but the fact that they chose to market it this way

Also, set aside an hour and check out this review. It comes in both text and video forms and defends the greatness of Ghostbusters more then I could ever hope to.
You are probably absolutely right, I will honestly take the full blame and say that I was likely far more reductionistic than I ever like being. So, whilst I had acually meant saying things like "corny" as an admiration, as a hokey charmingness of the films of the era. Although, that could totally be off. I mean, I probably wouldn't have heard of a film years after its publication if it hadn't touched the lives of at least some.

Now, it should be said... it is unlikely that any film will ever live up to decades of admiration. It is very rarely that a sequel delivers on that. So, while I may celebrate the film's steps in equal gender representation, if it is poorly made or executed, then I understand its ridicule. I just hope that reviewers are mature enough to condemn the film's shortcomings and not just the gender of the leading characters.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Phantomboy wrote:You are probably absolutely right, I will honestly take the full blame and say that I was likely far more reductionistic than I ever like being. So, whilst I had acually meant saying things like "corny" as an admiration, as a hokey charmingness of the films of the era. Although, that could totally be off. I mean, I probably wouldn't have heard of a film years after its publication if it hadn't touched the lives of at least some.

Now, it should be said... it is unlikely that any film will ever live up to decades of admiration. It is very rarely that a sequel delivers on that. So, while I may celebrate the film's steps in equal gender representation, if it is poorly made or executed, then I understand its ridicule. I just hope that reviewers are mature enough to condemn the film's shortcomings and not just the gender of the leading characters.
Unfortunately, I think a lot of the bile getting thrown at this trailer isn't "Wow, this looks like a really shallow and unfunny waste of an excellent IP and cast" and learn towards more "EWWWW GIRLS GROSS GET OUT OF HERE SJWS."

Sexism is far worse then any bad Ghostbusters movie.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Haha, I agree that Hollywood has more men in main roles in women, I think anyone who denies that is delusional.

And I'm not saying Ghostbusters 2016 is going to be a bad movie, maybe it'll be great.
Phantomboy wrote:I really hope the focus reviewers choose isn't, "Oh it's the social justice/feminist ghost buster remake" Like, we should be able, at this point, to review a movie-- focus on its merits and flaws without needing to paint it in the narrative of their own political opinions. The viewers will decide what they feel the film was trying to say, and the reviewers are to say if they feel it succeeded or not. If it's good, great.. Hollywood made a good film... If it isn't, then alright, Hollywood didn't make a good film. I feel like having the focus of a review being that the characters are women, says more about that one random particular reviewer than the film, really.
In my opinion having an all female cast (as opposed to an all male cast) is a decision that deserves to be fairly criticized as a merit or flaw. I've never really liked it when studios that take popular characters and create spinoff characters which are pretty much identical, but of the opposite gender. It always feels like its done for the sake of marketing and cash, not because they think it would make a good story.

Spiderman is a dude. Black Widow is a chick. I like them for their personalities and style, and I've never cared for "Spiderwoman." I've never heard of "Black Widower," but it just doesn't sound immediately interesting to me ;)

But on the other hand, there are some extremely skilled writers out there, and there are plenty of movies/books/whatever that I've gone into thinking "wow this sounds really dumb" but I come out of it a huge fan. Pretty much anything can be done right, and if Ghostbusters is, good for them, I'm sure I'll love it! But if its done poorly (which I hope it's not), then idk, it'll just look like a cash grab (*cough*cars2*cough).

EDIT: Woah I just watched the trailer, didn't realize it was one I hadn't seen yet. Tbh it looks really good! Absolutely love the theme remix going on.

Just to clarify I wasn't saying I think Ghostbusters 2016 is a cashgrab just because they're all female characters. My judgement is still out until I see it :P
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:
(*cough*cars2*cough).
Whoa now. It probably won't be THAT big of a cashgrab. xD
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Here's the recap:

WAVE 1: This looks terrible because it's not funny and looks soullessly lazy.
WAVE 2: This looks terrible because politically correct ewwwww!
WAVE 3: Hey, that's a crappy reason to dislike a movie trailer, you bigots.
WAVE 4: MOM THE SJWS ARE BEING MEAN TO US

There. Now you never have to read any thinkpieces or watch any reactions to this kurfluffal again.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

ThatOneFox wrote:Image
DID SUM1 SAY PATRIARCHY
also fuck you march 05 2016 streetlights