The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

So I Decided To Write A Book.

Share your creative endeavors
totaldile

So I Decided To Write A Book.

Post by totaldile »

Hey there everyone :) !
Some of you may know me as that one blockartist from Atmosphir, or that one girl who writes rhyming poetry from Voxelus, or maybe you've just seen me around One More Block.
I usually go by Total, obviously short for my full username.

For the past two years I've been thinking to myself - I should write a book.
So, in February 2013, after a year or so of rough planning, I finally decided to put pen to paper and start. Since then, I've written a total of 36 chapters, which total 91,000 words.

I've noticed that people on here are always doing a variety of cool, interesting and creative things, whether it be composing music, designing games, or hosting competitions for whichever. So, I guess, I present to you my humble attempt at something creative - the first draft of my book :) .

I'm terrible at blurbs, or plot summaries, or descriptions of what the book is about, so please excuse me.

This book I've temporarily dubbed 'Virus' - it's more of a project name rather than the name of the book, but I haven't been able to come up with anything better.

Virus takes place in a world where the apocalypse has come in the form of - you guessed it - a Virus. Not just any Virus though - this Virus spreads through electricity, rendering all electrical devices completely and utterly unusable.

The remainder of humanity has split into three distinct groups - the Ferals, a tribal group who hunt for food to survive, New Society, a farming group, and the Stragglers, who live in the wreckage of the nearest city, dubbed the Scree, scavenging to survive. However, the Stragglers are all but dead, having either starved or been captured alive by New Society.

Jed is a young Feral, the son of the Chief. However, life isn't so great. There's rarely enough food, he gets blatantly harassed for his lack of hunting skill by the entirety of his tribe, and even his father looks down on him in disappointment. His only real companion is his girlfriend, Ava, who whilst she's somewhat talented in hunting, receives the same treatment.

Having had enough, Jed and Ava plot to elope. However, leaving the Ferals is easier said than done - you can't say you'll just leave. So, they concoct a plan - Jed will leave a week in advance, and Ava will follow him a week later.

Jed successfully manages to leave the Ferals, and heads to the Scree, once the domain of the long-dead Stragglers. However, life in the Scree isn't easy - within hours, he's attacked by a wild dog. To his utter surprise, he's saved by a diminutive girl with blonde hair that reaches her calves. Just as he's about to thank her, she puts her gun to his face, and threatens to kill him unless he gets out of her territory. Jed, fearing death, gets out as quick as he can. However, he ends up saving that very same girl from the same dog, whilst receiving a vicious bite wound to his thigh.

After realising Jed is the son of the Feral Chief, the girl makes a pact with him: she'll help him survive, and heal his wounds, if he helps her out with a little problem of hers. Jed agrees hastily, but the girl doesn't specify exactly what she wants him for.

And the plot goes on from there. I suppose the driving questions in the book are: What does this girl want? And what's her relationship with the Virus?

I suppose the premise isn't highly original, but I do try and subvert the stereotypical themes of books with such a premise. I've posted the whole thing up on FictionPress, so if anybody decides to read it, then thank you :) !

I've chosen not to publish it on the internet as of yet, but if you'd like to read it, I can send you the file if you PM me or whichever :) .
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Oh, wow :) I will certainly give this a read when I have the time!! It sounds really interesting. I've heard of fiction press before - how is it?

I'll let you know what I think after reading :D
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

Aw, thanks man!
I hope you enjoy it :) .
Don't be put off by the first 12~ chapters or so. The writing quality increases dramatically at around that point.

As for FictionPress, I've not really got much to say - only that it seems like it's a lot harder to get people to read it than it is on FanFiction.net, but I suppose that's to be expected. However, I've only really been on it for a week, so I can't say much :) .
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Hey, just back from ready the first few chapters - I really enjoyable! Some spelling/grammatical errors here and there, however granted I have not reached chapter 12 yet :)

Yes, I had guess as much about FictionPress - However as more and more people begin to use it, I would bet activity/viewers will pick up as well :)
Rabbidfan236
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Phantomboy wrote:I really enjoyable! Some spelling/grammatical errors here and there,
Oh the irony.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

@Phantomboy
Ahh, thank you so much ;w;
I'm glad you like iiiit :3
There's probably tons of grammar errors all throughout, though it should get a /little/ better as the chapters progress.
Hopefully. Grammar was never my strong point.

@Rabbidfan236
xD
Anuke

Post by Anuke »

I currently don't have enough time to read it, but it sounds interesting.

I've also been wanting to write a book for the last 2-3 years, but just haven't gotten to it...
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

@Anuke

Just go for it man.
if you've got an idea, put pen to paper, start planning, or dive right in and plan later.
Writing a book is freaking awesome.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

This isn't a book, this is a thr-

Nevermind.

The best part of the story is FYUNG! because I've searched what that exclamation means... but then it was onomatopoeia, wasn't it?
Not bad at start, but I don't have time to read it. :P
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

totaldile

Post by totaldile »

@freekboy31

Ahah, thanks :3.
No worries about it, though.
I mean it is freaking long.
LordFinnagin

Post by LordFinnagin »

I read a little and it seems nice. I will keep in mind that you said the quality of writing increases, and read more when I have the chance. 2:27 AM is too early to read novellas.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

xD
Don't worry, I write most of this book between 12:00am - 2:00am.
I'm not even kidding. At least 50% of the stuff I've written was written in those hours.
/I should get some sleep

On another note, I've released a new chapter~
Chapter 37 :3
LordFinnagin

Post by LordFinnagin »

Mother of sweet baby Jesus...
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

XD

It's more of a full-blown novel than a novella at this point, anyway. 95k~ words is only 10k short of the length of the first Hunger Games book.
LordFinnagin

Post by LordFinnagin »

You, Water Starter, have the ability of overcoming obstacles such as writing.
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

/the power that's insiiiiiiiiide

eheheh

I posted up a new Chapter, everyone :) .
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

We should collaborate on something sometime! I'm actually starting a program on the internet that will raise charity money, and will create new stories, music, videos, games, etc. Contact me on Skype/Steam if you want to help out! (johnnshields for Skype) (gtarjohn for Steam).
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I was finally gonna get around to reading this but the link seems to be broken... D:
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

Ah, sorry!
I ending up pulling it because I started getting nervous about people stealing it for their own purposes; but if you still want to read it I can send you the big file with all of the chapters in it?
:3
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Yeah that would be great! It sounds super interesting, I'd love to read it :)

EDIT: By the way, I'd just like to say I have a lot of respect for you sir--err, ma'am. I love to write myself, but I mostly stick to writing short stories. I've tried writing a book multiple times, and every time I failed (never finished, never started...). Just the fact that you've stuck with it and written the whole thing is so great!

Congratulations, you will go far :)
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: