The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Playing With Upscaling Meshes

Share your creative endeavors
Dan

Playing With Upscaling Meshes

Post by Dan »

I just played a little around with my workflows and borrowed an Atmosphir asset for this.

See what came out.

1st Screen: Original Atmosphir female Ranger Shirt

2nd Screen Mudboxed it, while retaining the UV, I guess the Mesh weight on the Skeleton should have been retained too.

3rd Screen: Original is on the right side

Result: I was amazed how easy it is with good scripts and workflow to scale from a low poly to a high poly mesh :)
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

Pretty good. The rounder aspects look rounded instead of angular.
Now, try it with ps1 era lara croft and try and fix her triangle boobs.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Awesome job, Dan! How did you get the 3D models exported from Atmosphir? or is it just literally from the asset folder? Really neato regardless :D
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

StreetLights wrote: Now, try it with ps1 era lara croft and try and fix her triangle boobs.
This would be disgusting if it wasn't such a good idea
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

It would be purely for research purposes
Dan

Post by Dan »

Phantomboy wrote:Awesome job, Dan! How did you get the 3D models exported from Atmosphir? or is it just literally from the asset folder? Really neato regardless :D
Converting back and forth of the unity3d asset to get the working skeleton with the textures (the mesh never was a problem) it's a lot of work - I just liked the atmosphir models but now I am cured and use own models :)
Kiriel

Post by Kiriel »

now we need cameron with hairworks
ThatOneFox

Re:

Post by ThatOneFox »

Kiriel wrote:now we need cameron with hairworks
That would be a waste of technology
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Re: Playing With Upscaling Meshes

Post by Wowfunhappy »

...I don't know, I kind of prefer the original version to the upscaled one.

This reminds me of what happens when you apply an antialiasing filter to a low-res 2D image—it rounds out everything and looks overdone.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Wowfunhappy wrote:...I don't know, I kind of prefer the original version to the upscaled one.

This reminds me of what happens when you apply an antialiasing filter to a low-res 2D image—it rounds out everything and looks overdone.
Dunno what exactly you're smoking, but the upscaled one looks loads better. Look at the belt area. You can't count the polygons on the upscaled one.
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff

Post by ZeroSwordsMaster »

The upscaled one is pretty nice! The only major issue I have is that the material is a bit too shiny; the old model probably could get away with being so smooth and shiny but it doesn't translate well on the high poly count. I'm sure if you really wanted to you could fix it up, though.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

StreetLights wrote:
Wowfunhappy wrote:...I don't know, I kind of prefer the original version to the upscaled one.

Dunno what exactly you're smoking, but the upscaled one looks loads better. Look at the belt area. You can't count the polygons on the upscaled one.
Although, higher-fidelity doesn't necessarily translate better by default. Plenty of well stylised games and models have "countable polygons" but it works because the art-style was designed to support it :)

Regardless though, I do think the smoothed model is really impressive looking and I'd be curious to see what atmosphir would look like if it had this sort of treatment done throughout.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

StreetLights wrote:

Hence, it's very similar to what happens when you apply an antialising filter to 2D images—sure, it gets rid of the pixels, but it doesn't necessarily make it look better.

The upscaled belt does look great though—it's supposed to be round to begin with, so smoothing it out works really well!
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Thing is though, low res pixel art has a nice aesthetic. Low polygon 3d models just look like arse. Not exactly the best comparison.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I don't know if that is necessarily a given, there are games like Proteus, Glitchhikers, Katamari Damacy, heck, you could probably toss Minecraft in there as well. All of which have relatively low-polygon models and yet are commonly commended for charming artistic styles. Not all paintings are oil, and I just kind of feel it is a broad brush to say that all 3D-modles improve as you add more polygons. It's like saying a photograph is better the wider-spectrum of colours captured, which discredits purposefully desaturated, black&white and other colour variates available for this one ideal form of photo.

Although I guess this doesn't need to turn into a full-on polygon debate.. Tastes are tastes and I respect yours regardless!

Again, really impressive work, Dan.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Thing is though, those games used the low poly art style well, and build the game around it. Atmosphir had low poly models with a pretty high end lighting and physics system, that just made them feel out of place.