The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Atmosphir Server Dev - Updated 4/19/2014

General discussion about Atmosphir.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

StreetLights wrote:I think the issue is that martin has revealed voxelus, and now we're just waiting for that. Face it though, it's not going to be atmosphir. I'm not doubting that it'll be good, but it won't be the same game.

Agreed.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I am not sure exactly what stage the item code is at, but what has been said sounds about right.

Recently my school load has doubled, and I have an almost full time job. I won't say I don't have any free time, but what little I have is precious :P With Voxelus coming out (eventually), and... well let's be honest, without being able to modify the game I don't really see the community growing much more.

I'm pretty sure everyone here now is here because they used to play Atmosphir. What appeal do we have to newcomers? We have a broken game that, at best, will only ever be less broken. That sounds depressing, but it's true.

Remember even with MiSt's team of full time paid employees, updates took months ;)
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Ok, Atmosphir may not have the following it had before, but if a game with a working server and working user accounts, and a working store (albeit one that hasn't been implemented yet) is "broken", then it's gotta be, like, the best broken game ever. Also, isn't modifying the game exactly what we've been doing all this time? If kroltan got it working like Nacho said, we've got just about everything covered barring multiplayer.

While I can't do a ton right now as far as expansion is concerned thanks to impending finals--I thought the weeks leading up to them would be a little less hectic this year than they were last year, but I was wrong--I will do what I can if I can find time soon.
papaya

Post by papaya »

StreetLights wrote:I think the issue is that martin has revealed voxelus, and now we're just waiting for that. Face it though, it's not going to be atmosphir. I'm not doubting that it'll be good, but it won't be the same game.
it could be close to atmosphir if it focuses on block-based building rather than trying to have the player create rounded islands or whatever like pretty much every other build your own game. Atmosphir's uniqueness stemmed from it being a 3d platform maker not a 3d adventure game maker and that's a market that's basically empty

the issue is that there's no real reason to work on reviving atmosphir if it'll only be appreciated by like 5 people
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

That depends if the community generated by the new game is large enough to want to play the studios previous project.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
papaya

Post by papaya »

i imagine if/when voxelus comes out they probably wont mention atmosphir again, and since its under the blackpony name for the devs they wont even be able to find it by googlin the company
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

There's no guarantee that Voxelus is even gonna take off (It didn't the first three times). We've already got this thing up and running. It's been up and running for quite awhile. I don't know, if pressured, I'd have to give Atmosphir the upper hand.

The thing you HAVE to--And there's a reason I wrote "Have" in all caps--keep in mind is that Vox and Atmo are not one and the same. It's very unlikely that everything from Atmo will carry over to Vox (and even if it does, the VR will probably necessitate some heavy tweaking) and it's very likely that Vox will have features that Atmosphir does not.
papaya

Post by papaya »

i keep forgetting voxelus is gonna be vr
i guess i kinda wish it wasnt true
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

papaya wrote:i keep forgetting voxelus is gonna be vr

My sentiments exactly
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

papaya wrote:i keep forgetting voxelus is gonna be vr

I guess I sorta agree with you and sorta don't? I don't really know.

Back on topic though: If we have the store working like nacho said (kroltan, correct me if I'm wrong), then we probably should just go ahead and get it implemented. No point in delaying what's good to go.
Doctordynamo

Post by Doctordynamo »

I just want to let the people who have managed to salvage Atmosphir that I really appreciate what you've done. I haven't played this in approximately two years (maybe. rough estimate), and until now I thought it was dead. I only came across this in a random spur of the moment search for Atmosphir and what had become of it.

I'm not a programmer myself, but I imagine salvaging this has been a difficult task.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Doctordynamo wrote:I just want to let the people who have managed to salvage Atmosphir that I really appreciate what you've done. I haven't played this in approximately two years (maybe. rough estimate), and until now I thought it was dead. I only came across this in a random spur of the moment search for Atmosphir and what had become of it.

I'm not a programmer myself, but I imagine salvaging this has been a difficult task.

Agreed.
Jedimario

Post by Jedimario »

the character creation is stuffed up. press register select a base character cant do anything it forces me and other people to play as guests
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Jedimario wrote:the character creation is stuffed up. press register select a base character cant do anything it forces me and other people to play as guests
Just to check, did you follow the instructions outlined here? It is easy to miss and kind of a strange system-- but I thought I would mention it!
Jedimario

Post by Jedimario »

Phantomboy wrote:Just to check, did you follow the instructions outlined here? It is easy to miss and kind of a strange system-- but I thought I would mention it!

THANKS this really helped :)