The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

The Store And Atmos : Thoughts So Far

General discussion about Atmosphir.
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by Entity »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Maybe weapons could be free, and clothes continue to "cost" atmos?
Or vice versa ;)
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Wowfunhappy wrote:If the free and paid items were actually balanced I would agree with you, but that's not the case.

Would you mind elaborating on this point? I don't really understand what you mean by this.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Would you mind elaborating on this point? I don't really understand what you mean by this.
Yea, I was going to add this to the document, but it's a very vague point. Please do elaborate!
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Gtarmetro wrote:Yea, I was going to add this to the document, but it's a very vague point. Please do elaborate!

I hate to bring back a four-year-old argument, but the weapons in Atmosphir were never balanced. Not even close: There are many paid weapons that are just inarguably better: The rocket launcher, that two-hit-kill laser, and a bunch more melee weapons whose names I don't remember anymore because it's been so freaking long. Anyone playing with a wooden sword is at a huge disadvantage.

Of course, there's no multiplayer now, so it's not AS much of an issue, but it still can make combat-heavy levels much easier or harder.

And even though it's a separate issue: don't even get me STARTED on those stupid perks. I mean, an ability to just randomly restore your health in any safe area of any level? Which designers can't disable?! In what way isn't that game breaking?
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Wowfunhappy wrote:a bunch more melee weapons whose names I don't remember anymore because it's been so freaking long.
The only weapon to be nerfed. The Anubis sword.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

That's definitely not the only one. Just for the sake of having another example—I didn't want to list it because it was mod only—but that ban hammer was insane. You can just swipe once and send everything flying.

I'd actually be in favor of just getting rid of the REALLY overpowered stuff like the ban hammer completely, but I'm guessing most people won't want that and I can understand why. So, in light of that, I think the best thing to do would be to give everyone access to every weapon.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

Wowfunhappy wrote:That's definitely not the only one. Just for the sake of having another example—I didn't want to list it because it was mod only—but that ban hammer was insane. You can just swipe once and send everything flying.

I'd actually be in favor of just getting rid of the REALLY overpowered stuff like the ban hammer completely, but I'm guessing most people won't want that and I can understand why. So, in light of that, I think the best thing to do would be to give everyone access to everyone weapon.
Can you just make the abilities so overpriced that nobody can receive them or anything like that? (Or is there a way to stop certain items from being purchasable?
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Wowfunhappy wrote:I hate to bring back a four-year-old argument, but the weapons in Atmosphir were never balanced. Not even close: There are many paid weapons that are just inarguably better: The rocket launcher, that two-hit-kill laser, and a bunch more melee weapons whose names I don't remember anymore because it's been so freaking long. Anyone playing with a wooden sword is at a huge disadvantage.

Of course, there's no multiplayer now, so it's not AS much of an issue, but it still can make combat-heavy levels much easier or harder.

And even though it's a separate issue: don't even get me STARTED on those stupid perks. I mean, an ability to just randomly restore your health in any safe area of any level? Which designers can't disable?! In what way isn't that game breaking?
Oh, OK, I gotcha. Always getting annihilated because I couldn't pay for better weapons was beyond frustrating... It'd be nice to be able to avoid that frustration.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Gtarmetro wrote:Can you just make the abilities so overpriced that nobody can receive them or anything like that? (Or is there a way to stop certain items from being purchasable?

I have no idea, as I'm not the one who works on the server, but I'd assume there's a way to make stuff not purchasable.

But keep in mind, a lot of the "overpowered" weapons just control a lot better and are more fun to play the game with. As I said above, the rocket launcher is very over-powered, but that's partly because it's faster and easier to aim. I think shooting bombs with the rocket launcher feels a lot nicer than the normal canon. So I wouldn't want it to be removed from the game, but I think everyone should have access to it.

And then, with the melee weapons specifically, keep in mind that a lot of them weren't definitively good, but were helpful in certain situations. If you need to hit a lot of weak enemies quickly, for example, you're going to want a weapon that's fast, even it doesn't do a ton of damage. The opposite applies when you're fighting a single, strong enemy like the muka boss. So I think it would be best to just give everyone every weapon (possibly sans extreme cases such as the ban hammer, which was never publicly available anyway) and let players decide what they want to use.

The other option, now that I think about it, would be choosing the best melee weapon in each "category" (something fast, something slow, etc) and making those free. Except then you're essentially only paying for the crappy weapons, and that doesn't seem right either.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

Wowfunhappy wrote:I have no idea, as I'm not the one who works on the server, but I'd assume there's a way to make stuff not purchasable.

But keep in mind, a lot of the "overpowered" weapons just control a lot better and are more fun to play the game with. As I said above, the rocket launcher is very over-powered, but that's partly because it's faster and easier to aim. I think shooting bombs with the rocket launcher feels a lot nicer than the normal canon. So I wouldn't want it to be removed from the game, but I think everyone should have access to it.

And then, with the melee weapons specifically, keep in mind that a lot of them weren't definitively good, but were helpful in certain situations. If you need to hit a lot of weak enemies quickly, for example, you're going to want a weapon that's fast, even it doesn't do a ton of damage. The opposite applies when you're fighting a single, strong enemy like the muka boss. So I think it would be best to just give everyone every weapon (possibly sans extreme cases such as the ban hammer, which was never publicly available anyway) and let players decide what they want to use.

The other option, now that I think about it, would be choosing the best melee weapon in each "category" (something fast, something slow, etc) and making those free. Except then you're essentially only paying for the crappy weapons, and that doesn't seem right either.
Well if this is the case, we will need to understand which weapons are Power-Creep, and which ones can be sold. We need data on every weapon in the game thus far.

We may even be able to make the majority of the weapons free, if everyone agrees on it.
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Except, nobody has actually been able to use weapons in the past 3 years. :P
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

John's Comment - Q1 2014 to Q2 2014 Collective Circles: From beginning to now all opinions are considered Q1 2014 Opinions, for the next few months I will be calling each response a Q2 2014 response. This is because I want to organize the collective thoughts in my own local document as well as the one on here, and everything on this thread will be included! This doesn't apply to anybody, I'm just making a note to self! Thanks!
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

Were it not for design competitions, I'd just say give everyone everything in the store, for free (except for perks).
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

Bumped to see if anyone still cares XD
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Gtarmetro wrote:Bumped to see if anyone still cares XD
I do.

^ This idea (and the others in the thread).
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
seanthomasn7

Post by seanthomasn7 »

At the moment, is there a way to hide the sword?

I'm trying to make an FPS styled game but the sword bouncing on and off screen as my player walks around is starting to get a bit irritating. I've tried switching to the cannon but that makes the player walk slower, and the lazer gun takes up almost 1/2 the space of the screen when in FPS mode.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Perhaps opening the character creator, you might be able to toggle it. However, I cannot say for certain or not.
jr727holst

Post by jr727holst »

seanthomasn7 wrote:At the moment, is there a way to hide the sword?

I'm trying to make an FPS styled game but the sword bouncing on and off screen as my player walks around is starting to get a bit irritating. I've tried switching to the cannon but that makes the player walk slower, and the lazer gun takes up almost 1/2 the space of the screen when in FPS mode.
If you hold down the button for the sword (1) it will be put away unless you change to another weapon. This works for any weapon in your hand, just hold down the button for it and you will stop holding anything
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

And I do believe this is the final formula for this, so I haven't changed anything from it in a month or so. I'll be reading over it and making a GDD style document for this formula soon! If anyone has any final ideas, please pitch in ASAP!
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
UC101

Post by UC101 »

If we add atmos back, it would be worthless. I used to hate buying items in atmosphere because atoms were actually worth my real money. In the end I had stopped playing because I had given my character a lightsword, and a shirt, they were pretty useless, wasted all my atmos, and playing as the guest is OP because you get all the firepower you need.
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?: