The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

On The Subject Of Atmosphir.

General discussion about Atmosphir.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

StreetLights wrote:Well you guys tried the whole "new engine" thing, but that didn't really work either.

Just face it, atmosphir is kill and we need to rebrand this forum into something else.
The only reason why it didn't work was because all our files got corrupted and we cba'd to re-make everything. You guys weren't able to see the progress we had made since that one video we uploaded, but it was actually doing pretty well.

Having to start from scratch kind of demotivated the team and then the rest of the team went inactive lol

The Atmosphir concept in itself is actually still, nowadays, a pretty damn good idea if it's able to be excecuted well. I was actually talking about the game today to a developer (because I was talking about the stuff I've done, Aludra [atmo revival] being one of them) and he agreed, saying it was a fantastic idea.

Now that there aren't really any good "Game where you make your own game"s available, that space is out there and if someone where to make a well-made game that fills that space, it could actually be a good success if you ask me.

I just personally, as I said before, don't have the time and while I have programming skills, graphics has always been an issue since I don't really know how to model. It would involve putting together a real team with skills. We've seen how "well" every forum-based dev team has come out, though, so it would need more than that.

I've been wanting to remake everything and give it a shot (I still have /some/ scripts that were used on Aludra around), but as I said, I can't seem to find the time to do it.
Spoiler
wow this came out much lengthier than I thought it would...
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

Not only is cake all within us...

It's also a lie. ._.
How about we all just make out own cake and enjoy eating it, and while we're happy we've eaten it... We THEN can recreate the cake. But until then... Your cake isn't any good. And worrying how you'd make your cake to recreate is what should be necessary.

So for all of you "Home-dawgs" saying "We have cake making to attend to", just get done with the cake creation to a point where you can then eat it and be satisfied before recreating the cake you made, and before creating a cake you previously made before that. Because once you've cake stacks to eat, you no longer need to worry about how you have no more cake left, and start working on the cake you FIRST made. IF you still liked that cake. Or you could just forget that cake because you have new ideas for new cakes such as what Minor Studios did with their old cake. If not, then go make stacks of cake and be satisfied enough to voluntarily make old cake for others without eating it yourself. :/

Yes, I like cake. And yes, we hope yo decide to make your delicious moist cake for us. But stop saying "I'm too busy making this new cake, that recreating the old cake is taking more time than it should." and start finishing your new cake before you start recreating this super old cake because then will you be able to recreate this old cake without the excuse "I'm too busy making this cake."
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

Not only is cake all within us...

It's also a lie. ._.
How about we all just make our own cake and enjoy eating it, and while we're happy we've eaten it... We THEN can recreate the cake. But until then... Your cake isn't any good. And worrying how you'd make your cake to recreate is what should be necessary.

So for all of you "Home-dawgs" saying "We have cake making to attend to", just get done with the cake creation to a point where you can then eat it and be satisfied before recreating the cake you made, and before creating a cake you previously made before that. Because once you've cake stacks to eat, you no longer need to worry about how you have no more cake left, and start working on the cake you FIRST made. IF you still liked that cake. Or you could just forget that cake because you have new ideas for new cakes such as what Minor Studios did with their old cake. If not, then go make stacks of cake and be satisfied enough to voluntarily make old cake for others without eating it yourself. :/

Yes, I like cake. And yes, we hope yo decide to make your delicious moist cake for us. But stop saying "I'm too busy making this new cake, that recreating the old cake is taking more time than it should." and start finishing your new cake before you start recreating this super old cake because then will you be able to recreate this old cake without the excuse "I'm too busy making this cake."
kroltan
Developer
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by kroltan »

Great point, but sometimes you don't get to choose which cake to make, since other people will ask you to do their cakes, and those people are usually not dismissable (like cake school, or the cake reseller that gives you money for each cake you make). These responsibilities usually create a long list of cakes to make, and you then have to use your (minuscule) sleep time to make the old cake.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

^^^Exactly.

This is why I said it might be smart to put this whole project on the back burner for the time being. If we want to keep this going, we need developers who actually have time to spare.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
papaya

Post by papaya »

i totally appreciate that, and it may be a bit sensationalist to go "omb is gonna die unless you fix atmosphir RIGHT NOW" but lets face it, we're not exactly a growing community.

The simple fact is the only way we're gonna attract any more than a couple of new guys is if atmosphir is working fully. We don't have to, the community isn't exactly at any risk of suddenly dying (we all got a close bond, right?), but that is going to be the only way to throw OMB back up on its feet. Of course people can't contribute 100% to atmosphir, I'm just saying that any growth would come from it being finished. If we're all content with it staying stagnant, cool, but them's the truths.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

This cake thing is confusing me way too much
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

bionicnacho wrote:This cake thing is confusing me way too much
It is kind of doing the same to me as well, to be frank :P
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

Yeah, the cake thing fried my brain a little.

But anyways, I don't post in these forums very often, but I was an Atmosphir moderator for several years and it was a huge part of my life (honestly, I think I am just finally starting to get over my sadness from this game tanking). While I do love this forums and everything they stand for, I just have a hard time finding any sort of passion for any work I chose to do here.

If I were to help with the community, or the game code, or even just building a level, I couldn't help but feel as though I was working to no avail. And until I can find that passion, I won't be much help here, and I know I'm not alone with that respect.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

This whole thread has been kind of pessimistic, so I kind of feel like this needs to be said.

I could talk about the future of this revival project, but I've already stated my opinion on that twice, so I'm not gonna do that. Ultimately, the future of that project is the whole community's call. If you guys wanna drop the whole thing, that's fine.

Do you guys realize what we pulled off with Atmosphir? That game was what established this tight bond in the first place, and even after the game bit the dust, we built a whole new server from the ground up, and got most of the game working like before. That's HUGE! When most games die out, that's just it, but we did all of that, and even better, we managed to sustain that for 3 more years. AT LEAST.

So again, as far as keeping this project going is concerned... I dunno, maybe this is the end, maybe it isn't, but either way, I think that the progress we made with Atmosphir is truly admirable, and something we can be very, very proud of.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.