The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Throwing the Gauntlet! [Personal Challenge]

General discussion about Atmosphir.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Throwing the Gauntlet! [Personal Challenge]

Post by SirWrek »

Image Hey folks! The end of the [Small16] design challenge is almost upon us and there is one more day for designers to get their entries in before the deadline. Before the next design challenge is announced and before you are all eagerly working on a level for it, I'd like to present a different kind of challenge. One that is unofficial but for a little bit more than bragging rights... In fact, If it is at all possible I may even be able to work out some sort of special Atmosphir-related reward for the winner and/or winners. Sound interesting whatsoever? I'll bet you're wondering just what this potentially interesting unofficial challenge could be right about now... Well, quite simple it's a play challenge rather than a design one. And one meant to test your abilities learned through experience playing Atmosphir levels- however long you may have been doing that. I will warn you- this challenge is not for the faint of heart.

I've compiled a playlist of levels that will give you an adequate challenge and that upon beating will prove your mettle as not just a gamer but an Atmosphir playing maestro. Ten level total in fact, made up of a mixture of both my personal challenges and those of other designers we've all come to know and love. A true test that should not be undertaken lightly. The list is as follows:

1. Remember by MasterJBW- The level has been criminally underrated and was one of the first challenges to be created in the now-OMB curated Atmosphir. To this day, the only person shown to have beaten it is yours truly. It is an Intermediate to Advanced challenge and the best possible starting place I could think of for a challenge such as this one.

2. Papaya's Death Run by Papaya- This level is one that is short but not quite so simple. Once you get the hang of it you may only die a few times, but to be sure, it is no walk in the park. Here's an Advanced challenge that is short and sweet.

3. Hiram by Plainwrek- This level is a medium sized platforming and puzzle challenge. Can you make it through with only a few lives and a relatively short time limit? It's no race but it's not so simple either, boasting an Intermediate to Advanced challenge revolving around gradually more and more complex puzzles and platforming elements.

4. Silence in the Castle by Jr727holst- This level is a fairly difficult one and reminds me in many ways of the ever-classic Solstice Castle and Return to Solstice made by Bigdrip681 in both the original and the Stratosphir versions of the game. Meaning it features large drops and devastating hazards. Move forward with caution.

5. Thermal Plant by ThatOneFox- This level will make you want to wrap your head around a pole if you haven't got your twitch reflexes and timing down pat. If you thought the last one was bad, then this one- while lesser in difficulty at times, will give you a harder time. Watch those jumps.

6. Beware, Trolls! by Plainwrek- This level presents what is really an Advanced challenge but may give you some good old platforming troubles as well. Lives are not quite aplenty and neither is your sanity by the end of the halfway point, if you've made it that far. Nothing is left to chance and everything will entice you and enthrall you with treasure but watch out for fiery deaths and devious drops...

7. Shadow Tales by Baufritz- This level is definitely an Advanced challenge due to the trial and error you will undoubtedly have to endure whilst playing and dying and playing it again. It's no surprise that Baufritz can come up with some devious and devilishly delightful and difficult death-dealing contraptions. So watch your back.

8. Sanguine by PhoneticHijinks- This level should be a little bit of a reprieve for you all after playing through some of those other ones. It's an Intermediate challenge although it could be considered Advanced with some of its more puzzling aspects. I dare you to underestimate this level and see what happens.

9. Hyrdrolla by Plainwrek- This level is the second racing related time trial on the list and it's also an Advanced to Expert challenge. The level itself garners the challenge from the slow race and brutally precise platforming under duress, not from a plethora of difficult puzzles or traps per se. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security just because it seems simple enough.

10. Warrior by Biznatch101- Time to end with a classic. The ever-present and omniscient overlord Biznatch would revel in your pain if you were to attempt this golden oldie. It's an Advanced challenge and surely the bane of many of our existences.

Now that I've bored you with the trivial details of this whole list nonsense, let's get right down to business shall we? Just what is it exactly that I am expecting of you all? Well, it's quite simple really... I want you to beat at least seventy percent of these levels, meaning you will have to beat a minimum of seven of the ten. Kudos and bonus points will go to the player who has the highest score on each level by the end, as all levels have been beat by at least one person. Lucky for you, if you've already beat the level you've accomplished fifty percent of the task and can focus on bettering your scores.

I understand that this is a personal challenge and that there's no true incentive for you to go through any of this hardship, but in a perfect world I'd imagine some people would be crazy or willing enough to regardless just to experience some challenging levels they may not have tried out before. Or to gain some design advice through playtime or pick up on cool ideas for puzzles and traps. However, as that is undoubtedly not the case, I may be able to through some use of smoke and mirrors convince a certain someone that rhymes with FryonicMacho to transfer a sum of 1000 or more atmos from my account (seeing as I have over that currently) to the player in the lead by the end of this personal challenge. Just think, even if you don't participate but you happen to have beaten most of them already, you may get a surprise 1000 atmos for your (no) trouble!

So yeah, that's my harebrained scheme at the moment. Maybe it'll force you all/convince you all to be a bit more active and enthusiastic both in terms of enjoying and playing as well as designing with the game. After all, we've saved it for the community, so you all might as well enjoy it too.

Current Leaderboards:

Will Begin March 1, 2016 Eastern Standard Time

:brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock:
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Re: Throwing the Gauntlet! [Personal Challenge]

Post by Baufritz »

I can't even beat my own level you mentioned anymore :bungee:
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Baufritz wrote:I can't even beat my own level you mentioned anymore :bungee:
If it makes you feel any better, neither can I lmao. :pigflag:
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Having extended this mini competition, Imma go see if anyone even semi-participated and get back with results and see what can be done about that.