The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

So...where are we now?

General discussion about Atmosphir.
LoneRanger
Design Competitions Voted: 0

So...where are we now?

Post by LoneRanger »

Entity, Forums, 01/05/16
We've decompiled the source before, but no decompiler is able to decompile it completely due to some anomalies in the Unity compiler. There's hundreds of little segments of code that are missing, so it's, unfortunately, practically impossible to recompile the whole binary. Do you have any plans for the source?
Nacho, Forums, 05/31/16
An inspection of the source code reveals that basically all the classes/code included in the original Atmosphir code are present in Voxelus.
Zero, Discord, 05/31/16
IIRC someone already fixed the compile errors and that stuff, it's mostly weird things after compilation and during runtime apparently.
What exactly is the status of the source code? Using Nacho's decomp, I've pulled up everything in VS-C# and I've fixed almost all of the 3,800+ compilation errors, but I've reached a stop at fixing the many labels/gotos. From what I gather, however, somebody (I assume Nacho) has already fixed all of the errors, leaving us with a crappy version that runs but doesn't work.

Have we made any progress?
Who is even working on fixing what we have?
Is the fully debugged code we have available anywhere?
Is there some official means of keeping up to date on this?
Is there any way to get it fully functional without asking MiSt for the source code?

Important questions.

Any answers?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Re: So...where are we now?

Post by bionicnacho »

Back when I posted the extracted source code I started to fix the errors like you were but just gave up. One person on the Discord called Liam Newman was who mentioned that he had been able to get the source to compile. However, IIRC we couldn't use that with the game. It wouldn't accept it or something. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, memory is kinda faint.

Even if we were able to get the source to compile and the game to accept said compiled code we still probably wouldn't be able to add new features to the game because the unity project is still missing entirely, which is needed for this.

It would help, however, with fixing existing bugs with the game since it would give us more control over the code. Right now the way things are done is with Reflector + Reflexil add-on, which allows us to modify the IL code instruction by instruction, which makes it really hard to do things. Working in native C# would be so much better.

Nobody is working on fixing the old code or extracting the new unity project right now.
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

Well, once I figure out why exactly the decompiler chose to make everything into labels and goto's (that don't work), I should be able to compile what we have into something workable. Other than that, I've got the number of errors down from 3,800 to 90. It'll take some time, though. If anybody else wants to take a crack at it I'm happy to post it somewhere--

--on that note, should there be a development thread/subforum for us to keep a semi-up-to-date medium of communication on all of this?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

LoneRanger wrote: --on that note, should there be a development thread/subforum for us to keep a semi-up-to-date medium of communication on all of this?
Well we've just been using the Atmosphir General section for these kind of things but maybe another section would be more fitting. I just feel there might not be enough content on the topic to warrant the creation of a new forum section.
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

At the very least, I think we should have a Development thread pinned to this subforum then. It would help to have a place where everybody can check to see the most recent status update as far as getting Atmosphir to a place where we can do what we want with it.
Searching through 5 years of posts to come up with a semi-comprehendable summary of the current status is a bit much for someone to go through just to get that info.
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

As posted in the Discord:

Nacho currently has the resources needed to put the game together, but not the ability to access the Unity resources because it's a Unity Pro feature; Liam says that Unity Pro is no longer supported for Unity3 (and furthermore soon to be a deprecated feature of Unity4.) Other than that, the source code has been brought up to a manageable level of broken. Rearranging the more pieced-together parts into intelligible code should fix what needs to be fixed and get us on track to actually make changes to the game. The saga continues.
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

11/10
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Custom blocks tho

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

Those are some beautiful custom blocks there.
CTB

Post by CTB »

MOAR CRAYON FLOWAZZ
PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Also where are teh bungees.
Back... after forever.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

CTB wrote:Also where are teh bungees.
I've created an "Experimental" category in design mode where it'll have things like Bungees and NPCs. Basically the features that were close to being released but weren't completely finished. Sort of as a "use at your own risk" section.

This isn't launching just yet though. The first thing we need to do is finish the launcher and get everyone using that so we can seamlessly push updates and everyone would be in sync.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Well, if I needed proof that the devs rock before, I certainly don't now.

You say to use these unreleased features at our own risk... Does that mean there's no way at all you can clean them up a bit?
Doctor Pie
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Doctor Pie »

THE CREATING HAS BEGUN
(Yes, that is a less shitty texture of the blob tree. Can't fix the blob though.)
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

ElectroYoshi wrote:You say to use these unreleased features at our own risk... Does that mean there's no way at all you can clean them up a bit?
Yeah. We still can't really make significant modifications to the code.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

These developments are really really exciting~!! Also, the fact that you are able to implement your own textures is really really neato! ((Perhaps some sort of texture contest may be in order?? Something to think about at least! Of course we shouldn't go crazy with that--))
CTB

Post by CTB »

bionicnacho wrote:
CTB wrote:Also where are teh bungees.
I've created an "Experimental" category in design mode where it'll have things like Bungees and NPCs. Basically the features that were close to being released but weren't completely finished. Sort of as a "use at your own risk" section.

This isn't launching just yet though. The first thing we need to do is finish the launcher and get everyone using that so we can seamlessly push updates and everyone would be in sync.
The hype is real!
I have some eevil plans for stuff to go with the bungees... :twisted:
Back... after forever.
Omnoman

Post by Omnoman »

Where do we download said launcher when it's done, and when will it be done? (Are there any screenshots?)
:crate: :crow: :crate:
:crate: :geek: :crate:
:crate: :crate: :crate:
This is stupid.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Omnoman wrote:Where do we download said launcher when it's done, and when will it be done? (Are there any screenshots?)
Right now this is what it looks like:

It's pretty basic, but it gets the job done. Allows us to push updates to the game and also has features like download continuation if it's interrupted. This means you'll be able to download some parts, close the launcher, shut down the computer and then a week later pick up the download where you left off if you want. For people that have already downloaded the launcher-less version of the game, instructions will be posted on how you can use those old files so you don't have to download the entire game again, but only the updated files.

Once it's finished we'll replace all the download links with the launcher so wherever you see a download link, it's going to be the launcher you'll be downloading from that point onwards.
Omnoman

Post by Omnoman »

OK. Sounds pretty good!
:crate: :crow: :crate:
:crate: :geek: :crate:
:crate: :crate: :crate:
This is stupid.