The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

What would you like to see in a "sequel"?

General discussion about Atmosphir.
bionicnacho
Administrator

What would you like to see in a "sequel"?

Post by bionicnacho »

Hey guys!

So I know the forum has been really inactive lately, but I've just been kind of thinking about this seeing as voxelus is rebranding or whatever and thought I'd ask you guys what you think, since I'm curious:

In a theoretical universe where an Atmosphir "sequel" were possible, what would you like to see? What things would you change or improve on the Atmosphir concept and features? Is a game like this even viable anymore, seeing as most games of this nature have fallen off?

Of course seeing something like this would be impossible by looking at Voxelus and the way it was handled and is being executed, but this was kind of on my mind and would be fun to think about just for the heck of it.

Looking forward to see what you guys thing, seeing as all of us were invested in the game on some level.
RetroBandit
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Re: What would you like to see in a "sequel"?

Post by RetroBandit »

In a sequel. Here is my pitch.

The main menu is now a hub world, though can be changed back into a menu if you don't like interacting with people. Can be one of several towns, you can actually see other players near you. The hub world is more like a hub town. Players can even create their own hub towns and they will be compiled into a map rotation. There are a number of buildings, one is for browsing single player levels, could be called the adventurers tavern for the default world. There is an interactable that you can select to select a level. Once your select one, an entrance to the level will pop up. Entrances are an optional thing level creators can add to give flair to their level, the single player entrances aren't that big. And the size limit for multiplayer entrances scale with the players. You go into the entrance to start the level, can also invite friends for a co op level if you want, the single player building will be instanced. The multiplayer building can also select levels. You can host a public or private party. Or join a random public party. The entrance thing also plays into this. Lets say your playing a zombies gamemode. Can have the entrance look like a cutaway of a base being invaded. With the zombie team entrance on the outside and the defender entrance in the bunker. Creativity and stuff. Its not just limited to team deathmatch and stuff. While those presets are their. The rules are custom to the map. You can then enter the workshop, this is where you enter design mode. Design mode can now be in co op. So two people can be working on different parts of the level. You can also select zones in a sense. So playtesting a specific zone won't modify another zone unless you physically touch it while playtesting. You can also have one player playtest while another is in design mode making sure everything is going smoothly and making on the fly edits. Obviously NPC's would be nice but they would be limited to text trees with some logic for saying different stuff when a trigger is activated and maybe following a path or triggering something after they speak. The in game currency will work out in two seperate currencies since I am assuming this will be f2p. It will follow a similar system to the original atmosphir, except the high end cosmetics will be much more expensive but you can earn currency by just playing levels. The low end will be really cheap though. So if you get 5 atmos for completing a medium xp level. A baseball cap could cost 10 atmos, but a nights helmet would cost 300. But the atmos are really cheap to buy. All weapons and abilities can only be unlocked by one of three things. Stratos that you get for gaining a level. A reward for leveling milestone. Or completing some sort of daily challenge. These daily challenges give you a goal if your board and provide bonus atmos. Also, proper inventories and level linking would be nice.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

RetroBandit wrote:In a sequel. Here is my pitch.

The main menu is now a hub world, though can be changed back into a menu if you don't like interacting with people. Can be one of several towns, you can actually see other players near you. The hub world is more like a hub town. Players can even create their own hub towns and they will be compiled into a map rotation. There are a number of buildings, one is for browsing single player levels, could be called the adventurers tavern for the default world. There is an interactable that you can select to select a level. Once your select one, an entrance to the level will pop up. Entrances are an optional thing level creators can add to give flair to their level, the single player entrances aren't that big. And the size limit for multiplayer entrances scale with the players. You go into the entrance to start the level, can also invite friends for a co op level if you want, the single player building will be instanced. The multiplayer building can also select levels. You can host a public or private party. Or join a random public party. The entrance thing also plays into this. Lets say your playing a zombies gamemode. Can have the entrance look like a cutaway of a base being invaded. With the zombie team entrance on the outside and the defender entrance in the bunker. Creativity and stuff. Its not just limited to team deathmatch and stuff. While those presets are their. The rules are custom to the map. You can then enter the workshop, this is where you enter design mode. Design mode can now be in co op. So two people can be working on different parts of the level. You can also select zones in a sense. So playtesting a specific zone won't modify another zone unless you physically touch it while playtesting. You can also have one player playtest while another is in design mode making sure everything is going smoothly and making on the fly edits. Obviously NPC's would be nice but they would be limited to text trees with some logic for saying different stuff when a trigger is activated and maybe following a path or triggering something after they speak. The in game currency will work out in two seperate currencies since I am assuming this will be f2p. It will follow a similar system to the original atmosphir, except the high end cosmetics will be much more expensive but you can earn currency by just playing levels. The low end will be really cheap though. So if you get 5 atmos for completing a medium xp level. A baseball cap could cost 10 atmos, but a nights helmet would cost 300. But the atmos are really cheap to buy. All weapons and abilities can only be unlocked by one of three things. Stratos that you get for gaining a level. A reward for leveling milestone. Or completing some sort of daily challenge. These daily challenges give you a goal if your board and provide bonus atmos. Also, proper inventories and level linking would be nice.
Huh, that's actually really interesting. I never even thought of reimagining the menu/level select experience. A hub world seems like a really interesting concept to have, since I've never seen it be implemented in this sort of game.

Obviously the f2p system has to be changed in some way, probably being able to earn currency in-game as most games today, like you mentioned. But maybe f2p isn't even the way to go? It's kind of a tradeoff though, since making the game something you buy once upfront limits the amount of levels and content that gets created for it but may, in turn, offer a better experience for the people that already play it. Although, it could be argued that having a paywall for entrance to the game could also cutdown the amount of crappy levels that get created...
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I think an Atmosphir sequel would need to do some pretty ambitious stuff to justify being a separate entity from the original, but if such a thing were to exist, I would love fully customizable assets. One thing I found frustrating about Atmosphir was that I often had ideas I couldn't properly implement because I couldn't tweak the assets in any way. This resulted in me having to implement them in bogus, work around kind of ways.

For example, when I made Outlaw's Oasis two years ago (Jeez, really?), I gave the whole level this rough, gritty aesthetic, but in order to give you "NPCs" to talk to, I had to use the Stonehead prop. That prop is really smooth without many edges, so in a rough looking setting like that, they stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Now, I consider Outlaw's Oasis one of my best levels, but that's an aspect of it that always bugged me. Even a tiny change to an asset can make all the difference sometimes
kroltan
Developer
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by kroltan »

Nacho, Nacho, Nacho, you're not, by any chance, considering making this less theoretical than you made it sound, are you?

I actually have a whole OneNote notebook about things to do for a new Atmo.
Mostly, it boils down to:
  • Ability to use custom assets
  • Better level discoverability
  • Scripting (for actual new gamemodes, as well as custom behaviours)
  • More diverse character contol (tall-jump, 2D climbing)
  • Skill-based combat (varied directional attacks, with collision-based damage and shield blocking)
  • Level visibility filters (for linked levels with a single start point, or perhaps many)
  • Per-level "savestate"
  • Expanded editing capabilities:
    • Remove 1-thing-per-grid-slot limit
    • Remove map size limit
    • Precise positioning
    • Modular behaviours (add "explodable" or "follow platform path" to any object you want, as well as being able to disable physics and similar stuff)
    • An "asset repository" of sorts, where designers can share pre-made bundles of functionality or scenery ("prefabs", if you like the Unity-speak)
Also, the "Eldorado" features such as NPCs, coop-edit, Level Linking*. Most other suggestions would be "soft-moddable" through scripting and custom assets (such as the fabled "plasma blocks").

It would be F2P, but follow the estabilished pay-for-cosmetics model, instead of affecting gameplay.

Level pages would be much more complete, being able to have rich-text formatting, "franchise pages" for groups of levels (be them an actual franchise or just one big multipart level), as well as optional specialized help pages or miniforum. More akin to a small website than just a "product page" as was in Atmo.

*Level Linking would be just a set of portals to levels, which can be configured to use one shared player state and savestate (which would allow passing story decisions through levels, for example).
Omnoman

Post by Omnoman »

I've got three main things I'd want in a sequel: a more involved "story mode", and not just the "4 worlds of 4 levels" type (which could also work as a tutorial for creating levels as well as playing them), the ability to add saving to your game, in the case that you have a really long game and don't want your users to spend a lot of their time completing it in one go, and the ability to change your grid size (so that resizing blocks down and placing them isn't a hassle).

Oh and maybe less involvement with Halsey Minor too I guess.
Maybe also better searches? The revival's searches are broke.
Balanced weapons for multiplayer? I know people liked MP a lot,.
Oh, NPCs would also be nice.
:crate: :crow: :crate:
:crate: :geek: :crate:
:crate: :crate: :crate:
This is stupid.
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

Pigflags!!!!1!

But actually, for me the biggest obstacle in Atmosphir was the fact that there was no way to travel from one map directly to another. Atmosphir claimed to be a ‘game creation tool’, but it was not. It was a level creation tool. You were limited to 100x100x100 (originally) blocks and 100% for interactive things.

If designers had the ability to link 2 levels by a door or a teleporter or even jumping through a good ol’ painting, accompanied with a loading screen, it would essentially mean you had infinite building space and infinite bandwidth. It wouldn’t be a level creation tool, it would be a game creation tool. It would totally change the game in my opinion.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

longing for level linking, npcs. basically the most essential things of the game creating game were the ones that left out.
CTB

Post by CTB »

Let's see here...
  • BoTW style combat maybe, not with durability but dodging, throwing weapons, critical hits and possibly some kind of counter.
    Also, the ability to make good terrain without a buttload of blocks at random angles. I'm thinking a source style displacement system where you can turn block faces into a polygon mesh you can shape into whatever you want.
    Some sort of Sploder!-esque custom texture creator where you can play with noise, colour, shape etc.
Those are my ideas right now, god do I wish Atmosphir 2 comes round from this somehow.
Back... after forever.
byronagida
Design Competitions Voted: 0

What would you like to see in a "sequel"

Post by byronagida »

Now I know that it may seem hopeless that we will ever get a second season on tv and that I’ve already got a thread out there with a similar title.. BUT, and I know people have probably had ideas like this already themselves, but I feel like I’m close to being able to get my own mustang and going through the conversion process to getting my own KI3T. Now, what I was thinking of doing was getting some of my friends, cast them as the characters already have two of the four people figured out… even though they don’t know it yet Haha and do like a second season on Youtube. And so, with that, I’m just curious as to what YOU, the FANS would like to see.. or would have LIKED to have saw, if there was a second season. And if you’re wondering how I was gonna handle the SSC set, etc, well I was going to try and get a friend of mine who knows how to draw really well certain things I can draw but people… not so much LOL and do an online comic explaining the differences in scenery. Know, it will DEFINITELY be a LONG while before any of this goes down but, I’m curious to see what you guys think