The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

[MAR 2016] Level Awards

Share great levels you've made or played.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

[MAR 2016] Level Awards

Post by SirWrek »

We're a day late or so this month as well, but I hope you will forgive us for painstakingly combing over the quality levels found this month. Do not be disappointed if yours does not make the list, as I can assure you it has an equal chance in the future seeing as the amount of quality levels has slowed to a fine trickle while many of us are finding ourselves busy with daily life. Without further ado, bear witness to the fine reviews we have compiled here.

I've been told you will once more receive LOTD tags and a 500 atmo donation to your trust and benevolent fund. Hope that's incentive enough to stick around a little longer and craft more things set to amaze.

[Review Screens Hopefully Coming Soon]

Visuals:

Trial's Conqueror by Jr727holst.

Review:

I was one of the first few people to play this level and also one of the first few to beat it. Ironically I only beat it by accident as I stumbled into the flag tent at the beginning in search of more hidden treasure. I have since come back and played it but have gotten further and further in the level to no avail. What is easy to complete is most definitely harder to master. In that respect it reminds me entirely too much for comfort (jokingly said) of Papaya's conceptualization realized within the first Treasure Hunter level.

This month, I've decided to award Trial's Conqueror with Best Visuals because it does many other things well- gameplay, difficulty curve, pacing, and more. But there are other levels who better represent themselves for those aspects than this one. For visuals however, I enjoyed the aesthetic and the at times unconventional environmental representation and use. It's a good little challenge, so long as you're looking for a top place on the leaderboard as well. All in all, I enjoyed Jr727holst's level for what it showcased and what it made me think by way of its design. Congrats on another win there.

Gameplay:

Puzzle Cube [Small16] by PhoneticHijinks

Review:

I played this level at the start of the Small16 design challenge and couldn't even get out of the first room because of how dense I was. I knew it had something to do with that infernal wooden platform but not what exactly. However thanks to some prodding by Giantfishy, I was able to do so and able to complete the entire level. Needless to say it was amazing in my mind. In another life I would be giving this level the Difficulty LOTM, not because I found it incredibly difficult to complete but rather because it paces the difficulty perfectly throughout, throwing easier and harder challenges together in a perfect medley. However this is a practical world and I think the Gameplay LOTM will fit even better.

For some, I know the whole bland looking background might be a turn off visually, but I implore to you see it to its completion so you can enjoy the nice little challenges in store along the way. I loved the puzzle and hazard elements utilized, as I generally do in most of Giantfishy's levels. They aren't typically Biznatch-level in their infernal temper testing however they always providing a fresh approach to unique and intermediate puzzle and trap design. That's not often something that can be said for other levels or designers. So give this callback to Portal and similar test chambers and games and levels a look and you won't regret it. Congrats on another fine level my friend.

Difficulty:

Floating Fortress by ThatOneFox

Review:

I've always been a pretty big fan of Fox's challenging levels and this one is no different. I am ashamed to have not spent as much time and effort as I could've been trying to complete the intermediate challenge, but then some things don't have to be beaten to be enjoyed. Floating Fortress has already received an XP tag but to date only one poor soul has beaten it (Beaufritz) and I hope others will take up the call and attempt it in the least once it receives LOTD. You'll notice it is being awarded LOTM for Difficulty and that isn't because it is the most difficult level I've ever played or because it is the most devilish- instead it is because it handles its difficulty perfectly throughout. Tempering is an art few have mastered.

The environment is spot on. The narrative draw is there. But the difficulty is what resonates more within me than any of those other things. It stems as much from the puzzle-like elements as it does from the challenging leaps and calculations. Floating Fortress is equal parts majestic and mesmerizing because of that. So although I did not complete it the few chances I have had to play through and enjoy it, I feel as though I've grown from attempting it and as though I've come to recognize just what kind of stuff it is made of. And that spunk is LOTM quality. So congratulations once more Fox.

Story:

Treasure Seeker by Papaya

Review:

What more can I say about this level that I haven't already said? If you thought Treasure Hunter was good and deserving of LOTD then be prepared to think that exact same thing for its sequel. Treasure Seeker manages to make an interesting choice of blocks work perfectly in the environment, manages to add an even zannier and more enjoyable storyline that was no doubt painstakingly crafted by Papaya over the month it took to build, and manages to complete a near perfect, amazing package. Quite simply, the story is awe-inspiring and well worth recognition as Story LOTM.

If you want more of the treasure hunting goodness, swiftly moving traps to test your patience, and some puzzling puzzle elements then look no further. You've found the level for you. Treasure Seeker takes away the instant finish upon death option of its predecessor and forces you to actually complete the level, or at least to find a bomb in order to do so. Don't think you'll ever get off the hook too easily in this level, so you may as well go searching for some treasures along the way and bask in the wonders of the underground facility you find yourself trapped in. Congrats on yet another well-made and well-rewarded level.

<End Transmission>