The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Suggestion: Atmosphir Classic Restoration Project

Working on a new level? Have Tutorials to share? Post your work in progress here!
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Suggestion: Atmosphir Classic Restoration Project

Post by TheLastLink »

(i have no idea where to put this)

Now ideally I would actually be heading this but since I'm a total moron at designing levels it's merely a suggestion. Anyway:

I think it would be cool if a bunch of us got together and tried to recreate some of the classic Atmosphir levels of old, since we lost pretty much all of them when the servers went down. There's a lot of footage of some great Atmosphir levels on the Atmosphir youtube channel that I wouldn't mind seeing remade or redone for the Atmosphir revival.

Thoughts?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

That is actually quite interesting! I would love to start recreating a level - perhaps, implementing my own thoughts and design elements. Which could explode into it's own separate level!

Uh, great post, great idea! I think I will give it a go!
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

I've already remade impossible 2, so that's in the level browser. A level I may want to recreate could be the one dave showcased to demonstrate the abilities of the new stratosphir update, the one that was never released.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Giantfishy

Post by Giantfishy »

TheLastLink wrote: >but since I'm a total moron at designing levels
m8
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

StreetLights wrote:I've already remade impossible 2, so that's in the level browser
I think we both know who got the high score on that. Hehehe
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I like how this idea sounds on paper, but as far as actually executing it goes I'm a lot more skeptical. The thing about the real iconic levels is that they were built from the ground up, so recreating them probably wouldn't do much to actually capture the feel of the original versions.

Of course, nobody ever said we would HAVE to try and perfectly recapture the vibe of the original versions. Awhile back GameXplain did a video comparing Toad's Turnpike from Mario Kart 64 to the new version that's appearing in Mario Kart 8:

[media=youtube]BvImOWihTR8[/media]

Think about it. The MK8 version isn't just copied and pasted from MK64. The general layout is, but the ramps and anti-gravity segments mean it feels different to actually drive on.

So here's what I'm saying: If we do go through with this project, it should be along the same lines: Keep the general layout the same, but do stuff to actually set it apart from the original version.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
tta

Post by tta »

Would we be able to put the server back up like we did with Strat?
TheLastLink

Post by TheLastLink »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I like how this idea sounds on paper, but as far as actually executing it goes I'm a lot more skeptical. The thing about the real iconic levels is that they were built from the ground up, so recreating them probably wouldn't do much to actually capture the feel of the original versions.

Of course, nobody ever said we would HAVE to try and perfectly recapture the vibe of the original versions. Awhile back GameXplain did a video comparing Toad's Turnpike from Mario Kart 64 to the new version that's appearing in Mario Kart 8:

[media=youtube]BvImOWihTR8[/media]

Think about it. The MK8 version isn't just copied and pasted from MK64. The general layout is, but the ramps and anti-gravity segments mean it feels different to actually drive on.

So here's what I'm saying: If we do go through with this project, it should be along the same lines: Keep the general layout the same, but do stuff to actually set it apart from the original version.
I'm on board 100% if this is what people want to do. I just want some of that sweet nostalgia from the old levels, and what better way to do that than remaking them for the revival? important elaboration that i cant be bother to write now
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

tta wrote:Would we be able to put the server back up like we did with Strat?
What server?
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

bionicnacho wrote:What server?
I guess he's referring to the pre-Stratosphir server.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Baufritz wrote:I guess he's referring to the pre-Stratosphir server.
...there was a server? xD

EDIT: Oooooh like being able to use the old version of the game and uploading levels on that?
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

bionicnacho wrote: EDIT: Oooooh like being able to use the old version of the game and uploading levels on that?
yeah.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I really doubt anyone's gonna go and make the old game work :P
tta

Post by tta »

You're right I guess; is it something about unity being easier to work with as opposed to the custom engine that Classic ran on?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Not really. It's just that a lot of people are dedicated to bringing back the unity version of Atmosphir. I don't think someone will go try and fix the Classic version if the new one is being worked on.
RetroBandit
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by RetroBandit »

I recreated platformed world 6 once. I just need to find the atmo file though
I think I am flying?
Herleos143

Post by Herleos143 »

i can try... i have one of my level LOTD the Atmosphir Science and Laboratory, and i forgot the other one but its a city.. and when you reach a score you can unlock power ups that let you get to the highest building that has the finish flag on it.. obviously it would be the comet power up.. but you get the point.. i was'nt sure with the name but it was Atmo City something.. idk..