The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Floating Pathways: If You're Gonna Do 'em, Do 'em Right

Working on a new level? Have Tutorials to share? Post your work in progress here!
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Floating Pathways: If You're Gonna Do 'em, Do 'em Right

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I see a lot of levels consisting of floating pathways in the sky. I have nothing against the concept, but the execution I see is... less than impressive.

When I say less-than-impressive execution, I'm talking about paths that look like this one. While this IS better than other floating paths I've seen, it doesn't even come close to living up to its full potential. Grass doesn't just float there, so this doesn't look at all natural. If you want floating paths, they have to look more organic. Case in point:

Notice how the underside is multi-layered to give off a "floating island" vibe. Doesn't that look SO much more natural? I certainly think so.

And last but not least... some decor. The island vibe is irrelevant if it doesn't have props in it to make it seem even more real. Let's fix that, shall we?

A wide range of props can be found in this screenshot, including rocks, trees, cabins, and so on.

Also notice how the edges of the grass in this picture are a lighter shade of green than they were before. While this will not "make or break" the island vibe, it REALLY benefits from it.

If you make a "floating path" while designing, consider these steps. Does it look natural? Does it look detailed? If your answer to either question is no, the path you're making needs to have some changes made to it.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

This should be stickied.
Great advice, these few simple steps should be standard procedure anyway. I can't think of a level I did once where I didn't ask myself "How does it look?". I guess the environment is a big influence when it comes to judging a level. Your gameplay concepts can be amazing, but if your environment isn't up to snuff, people aren't gonna play it.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.