The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Working out a scoring system, help wanted!

Working on a new level? Have Tutorials to share? Post your work in progress here!
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Working out a scoring system, help wanted!

Post by Baufritz »

So I have this Map

and it basically should work as follows:
  1. 30 second briefing period for both teams, defending team can already go out to protect the points
  2. The attacking team is released, they have to capture three control points in order
  3. Every time a control point is captured, the score of the attacking team increases
  4. The defenders win if they can hold at least one control point.
  5. The attackers win by capturing all control points
I've got a control point system set up that triggers a trigger when it's captured, so I can hook that up to anything.
My issue now is trying to tie that into Atmosphir's scoring system. I've thought about using Atmoball goals where the ball gets pushed in by a moving platform once a control point is captured, but if no player touches the ball, no scoring seems to happen.
Another idea would be CTF mode, but place the flags so somehow only blue can win.
The last issue is making sure the defenders win if time runs out.

So yeah...
Help? :bungee:
Phantomboy

Re: Working out a scoring system, help wanted!

Post by Phantomboy »

You could have some sort of self-made timer. For the visual side, have a timed run power-up which does not adjust the running speed at all, but has a very long duration set. Then, essentially build a large hidden corridor of several Atmoballs, lined up to all get pushed into the attackers teams coloured goal when that amount of time has elapsed. So that, the attackers will win if they are able to score before all of the Atmoballs are released into the goal, but if not-- the round will end itself automatically.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.

Post by Baufritz »

Phantomboy wrote:You could have some sort of self-made timer. For the visual side, have a timed run power-up which does not adjust the running speed at all, but has a very long duration set. Then, essentially build a large hidden corridor of several Atmoballs, lined up to all get pushed into the attackers teams coloured goal when that amount of time has elapsed. So that, the attackers will win if they are able to score before all of the Atmoballs are released into the goal, but if not-- the round will end itself automatically.
I did experiment a bit with that idea. Here's what I found for future crazy ones who want to do their own scoring:
  • Hitting or moving an Atmoball doesn't neccessarily grant you a goal, you have to touch it with your body first for it to count.
  • When someone has touched an Atmoball, moving platforms do no longer recognize it and will literally just phase through it. "Untouched" Atmoballs work fine though.
  • Regardless of whether they're touched or not, gravity areas will always recognize Atmoballs. Same thing goes for teleporters. Gravity areas can also be set up so they only move interactives (including Atmoballs).
Based on that, I now got a prototype scoring thing setup:
  1. One Player gets teleported into the contraption and falls on an Atmoball, thus "claiming" it.
  2. As soon as the player touched the Atmoball, a gravity area activates, dragging the ball into a teleporter which leads to a goal. Teleport can be timed or triggered.
  3. Player exits through another teleporter in the floor, unaffected by the gravity area.
The whole contraption looks like this:
Now, time to implement this into a working scoring system.
By the way, I have no idea how reliable that is in Multiplayer, so this could be a total flop.

Thanks for the idea Phantom!
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Just one thing to note if developing for multiplayer is the issues that are present with using teleporters. While in multiplayer they sometimes glitch out, creating sort of an infinite teleportation that can only be escaped from by killing yourself through the pause menu.

Also, the player that has teleported may appear at another location for other clients.

However, this seems to only happen on some levels so I'm not sure what exactly causes it. You can give it a shot though.
Baufritz

Post by Baufritz »

Well I can try adapting the system to work without teleporters...