The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Question of the humans of OneMoreBlock's servers.

A place to talk about our community
Aflysokat

Question of the humans of OneMoreBlock's servers.

Post by Aflysokat »

Simple questions:

How alive is OneMoreBlock?

I am unaware. I see posts from this year -- Yet also from last year and 2 years prior. I am entirely confused. How often are posts created/replied to? This website does not seem to be organized correctly, or I have not found a valid Input/Output value for the inconsistent dates of this website's constructive organization.

What is this OneMoreBlock?

Upon creation of my account to the servers of OneMoreBlock the website introduced "Voxelus". Is this a Voxelus forum? "Rebuilding Cirrus, One block at a time." states this is an Atmosphir remake/remaster/revival? Either one of the three. I see posts concerning this website with a game called "Minecraft", I am confused. Is this a Minecraft forum? Is this entire website simply a forum? Is this Atmosphir's website that is to be considered the new one from the previous, official one?

What is Voxelus?

I went to the website and I see a place called "Marketplace". This simply confused me. Is Voxelus a game which uses The Rift as a controller to control? If so, then what does that have to do with this website? And do I seriously need to buy parts for design mode? If the game is even a designing game, which it clearly states; I wish not to jump simply to unproved conclusions since I do not wish to play Voxelus.

What ever happened to Halsey/Werner?

Does Werner know of OneMoreBlock? Does Halsey know of OneMoreBlock? If so, how communicative are the two toward this website? When Atmosphir's servers to it's website was shut down, what happened to Halsey? Did he simply say "Oh, well. Moving on." Or an else phrase with similar outcomes? Why, also, was Atmosphir ultimately destroyed? If the developers from Atmosphir are here, what is this "Revive Atmosphir" trend that appears very frequently upon OneMoreBlock? Explaination, please.

Steam/Skype/Outsource?

I have read various inclusion to "Steam" and "Skype" being announced here. As if Servers are there? Or forums are there? Or clubs/groups/etc.? What does Skype or Steam have to do with OneMoreBlock and how does anyone know of this?

Atmosphir's Character Customization?

According to my observations, I have downloaded the most recently updated Atmosphir. This includes a character customization yet trying to purchase items without a price results in error. Are these items "To be announced" to work? Is there a special way to acquire them? And why aren't all of the items available in the store such as the mouths and the eyes and the clothes, etc. to it's entirety? Is there a special reason they have been excluded? And how am I meant to get Atmos?

Atmosphir's servers?

Upon creating a multiplayer server, I am equipped with an error. Is this abnormal? Previously I was not able to get thus far with the creation of such "Multiplayer experience".

This will be all. Hopefully I am awarded with clarification upon the answers of these question.
LoneRanger
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Re: Question of the humans of OneMoreBlock's servers.

Post by LoneRanger »

OneMoreBlock is a community consisting of the remnants of Atmosphir's community.

Voxelus is a complicated subject. Originally, Voxelus was an Atmosphir-esque project made by some of the old developers, based on a different engine and overall design, but roughly the same concept. Voxelus failed, as development was slow and early conflicts somewhat burned the project to the ground from the bottom up. Now, Voxelus is some weird Virtual Reality (VR) project in which Halsey Minor has invested.

One of the primary developers from Minor Studios (MiSt), Mr. Repetto, has acted as an intermediary between Mr. Minor and our community leaders, allowing us to take up the resources from Atmosphir and attempt to bring it back to life. He has generously helped us by renewing the long-lost domain atmosphir.com and forwarding it to this website. The OneMoreBlock team is essentially allowed to do whatever it wants so long as it doesn't make any money.

Dave Werner left the project as Atmosphir collapsed. He now works at Adobe. See okaysamurai.com.

Steam is the gaming platform owned by Valve Corporation that pretty much everybody uses. Unrelated specifically to Atmosphir/Voxelus/OneMoreBlock. See steampowered.com.

Skype is just one mode of text, audio and video communication used by the community. There is an official server on Discord, a text and voice communication platform, that OneMoreBlock uses. See discord.me/onemoreblock.

Character Customization, Multiplayer, and all other parts of the game may have some bugs. The developers here are working on getting everything up and running.

Also, um, are you a robot?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

LoneRanger pretty much summed it all up, but a couple things:

- What is OneMoreBlock?: In the beginning, this forum was used as a way to keep the community together when Atmosphir/Old Vox died. It used to have Team Fortress 2, Cube World and Minecraft servers available for the community to play. It has now become more of a hub for the Atmosphir revival since the project was started, and this is its main focus.

- On Steam/Skype: OneMoreBlock has a Steam group (although it's really inactive, nothing happens there) and a Skype group. The Skype group has evolved into a Discord server which you can join at http://discord.me/onemoreblock.

- On "Revive Atmosphir": This project of bringing back Atmosphir, making the servers work again, fixing a couple bugs, re-enabling old features, etc is referred to as the revival because we are essentially reviving an old game. The old devs are not involved in this, and it's just a couple community members that are working on the revival.

- Errors while purchasing some items on the store: The items that don't have a price can't be purchased at this time because of issues we've run into while developing the server. In the future these may become available. For now, you can purchase those that do have a price listed.

- Errors while creating multiplayer sessions: Very recently (this past week) our multiplayer server was shut down due to monetary issues. It did work quite well while it was up. We are looking for solutions at this time to be able to host the multiplayer server so this doesn't mean that it will be gone forever. If we can't find a solution to host the Photon server we may just enable P2P multiplayer, which means each user that creates a match will be the "server" for that game. Reason why we haven't enabled this yet is because there are some issues that we need to work out with it, but solving these issues is very difficult and time-consuming because none of us have full access to the code/game projects.

- On Halsey/Werner knowing: Dave Werner does know about us and actually has an account on the forums. He's also made appearances in our Discord server. He is supportive of the project. None of us have really heard about Halsey though, but my guess is that, since he's working closely with Martin (another old dev) and Martin does know about us and is also fairly supportive, he's probably told Halsey about us.

- On Voxelus: Right now Voxelus is basically a VR version of Atmosphir. This is the current project of the group previously known to us as Minor Studios.
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

This is very useful information. My gratefulness is to be shown.

I did in fact wonder why this LAN connection was not an option. But I can understand this. Please, inform me as to why the developers with full access to the game cannot allow former developers to alter it's coding? My obvious assumption would be for copyright reasons and risks on plagiarism and theft, etc. But I only ask to MAKE SURE THIS IS THE ANSWER because it sure would make the game entirely easier to "Fix".

Please define "Discord". A Google search informs myself this is simply a way to communicate. Correction, please.

If Halsey was the previous owner of Atmosphir, why cannot he do what this community is doing on his "Free time"? It being on his free time doesn't get in the way. Of course not everyone can be a creative piece to the game's "revival", etc. but if he was the owner and allows the humans of OneMoreBlock to access the game in inappropriate ways, (Prior to the game's release) is it so hard to allow the entire game to be partially given to "fix"? Again, this goes back to the plagiarism, etc., and of course Halsey can walk out of any situation he feels, this is one of the times he can and has but is there a reason for this that is well known, yet not by myself? Please share. (Of course many humans can do such things on their free time, including Dave himself. YET I can understand not everyone cares/wants to or even can sometimes, free time or not. So this question simply implicitly asks it's self.)

More simple questions:

Minor Ventures; created by Halsey Minor according to Wikipedia.
Is Halsey's last name non-coincidental to the name "Minor Studios"? Since it says he has invested in such, yet "Founded by Dave Werner". Yet this could mean the company has already existed before Halsey's excursion. YET it also could mean he invested by making the company. Please make this explicit for me.

Perhaps Atmosphir is completely finished. Bug-free/to a point it doesn't bother anyone, and it is enclosed onto the "Atmosphir" website; does this "Non-profit" rule still apply? Keeping a website up costs money, yet this is not abnormal? Do the humans that created Atmosphir originally that has the source product of Atmosphir not find Atmosphir as trash? Or a waste that is in the trash can, smelling the room? This is synonymous to the question: "Does Atmosphir simply sit in dust, able to be used, not used?" I assume Minor Studios does not see profit from Atmosphir? Or does not see a point in continuing the creation of Atmosphir? Is this why Atmosphir is still no longer and not that it no longer exists?

--- I believe I've never seen a community work so hard on a game without the developers working as hard currently. (Of course some are the developers, but without the source product, no one is the actual developer, am I correct?) Thumbs up.

Please define your meaning. I am not a robot. What could be the source of you asking this question?
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Suddenly, when I read all the people who were in the front lines of this crapstorm explain it, it seems less complicated.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Developers with "full access" to the old game files won't actively help in the development of the revival because their current product, Voxelus, depends greatly on this source. Voxels is Atmosphir at its core. An inspection of the source code reveals that basically all the classes/code included in the original Atmosphir code are present in Voxelus. It is really Atmo with a new face and VR-focus. This is ultimately the reason why they can't give us the original source code / project files.

Minor Ventures / Minor Studios' names are indeed because of Halsey Minor's name, as he was the founder. Dave Werner is considered as one of the founders of MiSt because Atmosphir was his idea, and from that idea is that MiSt was formed. All the funding for Minor Studios came from Minor Ventures, which is Halsey.

The non-profit rule will always apply to us. All this Atmosphir stuff is MiSt's intelectual property and their code. It doesn't belong to any of us and it's copyrighted.

On your las comment, I just want to clarify that none of the old Atmosphir developers are still developing Atmosphir. The fixes that have been made are product of the community that has decided to revive the game on its own.
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

Ahh, so if they invested in Atmosphir, it will contradict Voxelus, and since the owners are creating Voxelus as Atmosphir with different identity, it wouldn't make much sense to make, I see.

Ok, so now I do understand this entire situation.

Now, for one last question, please explain why Atmosphir is no more.
Doctor Pie
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Doctor Pie »

Aflysokat wrote:Ahh, so if they invested in Atmosphir, it will contradict Voxelus, and since the owners are creating Voxelus as Atmosphir with different identity, it wouldn't make much sense to make, I see.

Ok, so now I do understand this entire situation.

Now, for one last question, please explain why Atmosphir is no more.
There were many factors leading to it, including but not limited to:

- Devs becoming greedy snobs
- Mr. Minor having been exposed for some... less than good deeds
- And some that I cannot remember off the top of my head
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

tl;dr Atmosphir died because Halsey was greedy.

---

Atmosphir died because of a number of reasons, for which I will provide a brief history:

Halsey did not really have an active part in the development of Atmosphir. As an investor more than anything, he merely controlled the overall goal and financial operations of the project rather than how it was actually designed. Dave Werner, the designated Creative Director, performed much of the initial development, formulation, and expansion of the core concepts of Atmosphir and the continuing announcements of new directions the game/community was taking.

Atmosphir operated, much like it does now, on a form of currency, Atmos, to purchase unique in-game items that served purely aesthetic purposes. Users could purchase weapons, costumes, and other such features that had no effect on the game but allowed for some basic individuality between in-game characters. Atmos were earned by playing the game, to put it simply. They could also be purchased, in addition to "Club" status that provided the customer with a monthly income of Atmos and a cool sticker next to their name.

As time went on, Atmosphir began to become a fairly large community. There were thousands of active users just on the forums, and the community began to need some greater organization. Adz (who is still among this community) was appointed as a community director, in charge of managing everything to do with the forums, user bans, etc. He essentially served as the membrane filtering information between the actual developers of Atmosphir and the community.

With a rapidly growing and potentially profitable community, many things changed in rapid succession.

Halsey, seeing Atmosphir as a business that could move forward to be even more popular and profitable, pushed the developers to add in a lot of "pay-to-win" features: items purchased through the Character Store began to have in-game benefits; "abilities," still a part of this revival version of the game, were added in with an additional currency, Stratos; Club benefits expanded and included even more exclusive items; and many features/items/enemies (such as firearms, the Aphelion race, and more realistically textured level features) were added to rope in a larger crowd expanding across older audiences, in order to bring in more money.

The community also saw a lot of outrage and changes. With many new members, most of whom were actively involved on the forums and interested in bringing about the greater good of the game, expressed their feelings through all mediums made available. An IRC chatroom that had long been embedded to the site was also overtaken with frequent discussions/rage sessions about how things were changing. In addition, a Quality Assurance (QA) team was introduced to the community, made up primarily of older/more mature* members of the community, designed to help bring community concerns to the developers in order to have things changed. It was not as effective as the community was led to believe it would be.

A particular group of users (some of which are also in this community still) saw the end of the game coming and began to take advantage of the weakened community. "Trolling," spam, and other such nefarious forum activity was bolstered by an inflow of young, vulnerable users, and a slew of bans were handed down by the moderation team. Outrage, confusion, and a "civil war" of sorts broke out among an already ailing community.

At some point among the chaos, Dave Werner hung his hat, and left the team to support his wife and baby boy. He holds a warm place in the hearts of the Atmosphir community and its derivatives because he truly kept the spirit of the game and its original design going. We communicate with Dave from time to time and he is still as wonderful as ever. <3

The pay-to-win atmosphere (ha) took a toll on the public image of the game, and even loyal users began to make official goodbye posts announcing their distaste with the new direction the game had taken. A large amount of the community left, and inflow of new users quickly evaporated. The game no longer made a reasonable profit, and as a result, it soon was essentially bankrupt and shutdown by Halsey.

The developers from MiSt went on to bigger and better things. Some of the core developers went on to Voxelus, and Martin is still there. We also communicate with him semi-frequently, and he has been extremely supportive in giving us the ability to get Atmosphir going again, if just for the small community still here.

---

Aflysokat, the reason why I ask if you're a robot is because you speak in a very syntactical, almost robot-like manner, and the questions you asked and the grammar you used when asking them could be likened to a data collection AI such as those designed by Wolfram and Google, etc.
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

This is interesting.

You claim Minor simply wanted a bit more pay?
-- I see not how Advertisement will not get his desires. I do assume he simply gave up.
Yes, it is very odd for this friendly game that consists of trees, forests, cherry blossom guns, colorful laser guns and the creative "Muka" to be sided with things such as "Ak-47", "Sniper Rifle" and "Industrial textured blocks". Since this is simply new content, I accepted it as "This is fine, more choices for the creativity.", since Atmosphir is of creativity. The purposes and motivation behind such content was simply oblivious upon my knowledge.

I can definitely understand the repulsiveness among the humans of the Atmosphir community, if the creation of happiness is a force one must pay. Voxelus, which I feel despised to, has a "Pay to create" embedded. Paying for the game is fine. Since humans must make money sometimes. But paying individually for block pieces is not my interest. Paying pieces of a game is not my interest simply to create. A few weapons that don't impact the game and clothes is a much finer deal than paying individually for the creativity the developers have ejected. Yes, after awhile in Atmosphir not being equipped with abilities and the Repetto Launcher and a hammer, etc. has become hazardous and impossible to win on competitive multiplayer sessions and this is not very fun and simply unfair for humans without credit cards, etc.
I have simply overlooked this situation without notice since I've owned all of these products and never used my default weapons. This revelations is touching.

I am not familiar with "Robot-like manner". I also find syntax upon anything I do and am of to be simply a matter of "What I do" and it being natural to me. If, excuse my pessimism, this has repelled you, I do wish to apologies but cannot because this is what I wish to be of.

This is all of the questions I am equipped with for now. I do wish to show my appreciation upon the humans that have took their creative energy upon replying to this post.
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

But...why do you refer to us as "humans?"
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

they're trying to be edgy dude
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

DvChayz wrote:they're trying to be edgy dude
i was going to go with "english isn't their first language" but this is far more reasonable
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

I reference to humans as humans because I wish to announce else as what else is. I do this to disable any confusion.

Please define "Edgy". I am not familiar in the way you use this word.
LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger »

http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 865#p82865
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 864#p82864
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 247#p82247
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 390#p56390
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 962#p12962

What game are you playing? Clearly you were possessed by some demon in the time between your last few posts and now. You used to use fluid language, slang, emoticons. Now you're acting like a robot. You've got me totally stumped as to why you suddenly decided to talk like an alien. What is even going on right now?!
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

I've never met an alien that is so very similar to the being in which is of myself.
-- Yet this simply depends on what it is you define alien as.

I currently am playing no game.
I am also quite stumped: First you ask if I am a robot; then you conclude I am possessed by "some demon"; and finally you say I speak as an alien?

You must define demon and this possession you speak of. I can guarantee I am making my own decisions externally from a demon in which you claim I have been possessed by.

I personally find what I type easily understandable. But this is only understandable to what everything is in which I understand it to be. I will not assume your understanding, yet if how I do not use what you call "Fluid language, slang and emoticons" renders my sentence architecture foreign or simply unfamiliar, I will try again my best to recalculate a more "fluid language, slang and emoticon" sentence structure.

I do not recall using these "Emoticons". My speech comes simply from what I find understandable for me. According to your HyperLinks, I do find proof this is the case I have used these "Emoticons" you speak of, whether I can recall me personally adding this feature or not.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

LoneRanger wrote:http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 865#p82865
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 864#p82864
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 247#p82247
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 390#p56390
http://onemoreblock.com/forum/viewtopic ... 962#p12962

What game are you playing? Clearly you were possessed by some demon in the time between your last few posts and now. You used to use fluid language, slang, emoticons. Now you're acting like a robot. You've got me totally stumped as to why you suddenly decided to talk like an alien. What is even going on right now?!
wait huh

okay this thread just went from informative to either creepy or hilarious and I'm not sure which is worse
Aflysokat

Post by Aflysokat »

"wait huh" Did I fail to explicit my meaning?

My apologies. I do not wish to be repulsive within your sight. I also do not find humor within the words of each other here. Perhaps I simply missed a jest?

Yes, very appreciative toward whom have helped my understanding.
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by Entity »

this whole thread is the best thing I've read in like, a long time
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Entity wrote:this whole thread is the best thing I've read in like, a long time
Seconded.