The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

i met an atmosphir player in real life

A place to talk about our community
Prime

i met an atmosphir player in real life

Post by Prime »

hi everybody its prime hows everybody doin : )
what the fuck is my avatar...

alright so funny story
im a freshman at nyu's game design program, i just started and its fantastic.
since may, ive been part of a group chat with most of the game design freshman class, so we got to know each other a bit early. the final number pre-start of class was about 26 kids, and the program has 49 total, so we managed to grab a little more than half.
so, theres a good amount of people in the program that ive met that i didnt know beforehand.

im at my games 101 recitation two days ago, which we didnt have last week. the TA starts hopefully the last icebreaker i ever have to do, and has us go around in a big circle, say our favorite game, and say why its our favorite game. im gonna say system shock 2, my default answer.

theres a fat ginger kid who i havent seen before. hes very quiet, and doesnt engage in much eye contact. the icebreaker gets to him, he says his name (which i forget an hour later) and says his favorite game is atmosphir.

look, as is the same with most of us, ive been searching for other atmosphir vets in real life since it fucking started, which is almost a decade. i would fantasize about people i didnt know, and how they would coincidentally play atmosphir too, and then wed be best friends or something. ive been waiting my whole fucking life for this moment. granted, its really fucking unlikely that i would ever meet someone else who played atmosphir. the active player base in that game is smaller than the max capacity of some concert halls. the most criminally underplayed and undersupported game of the 21st century.

i freak out a little bit. my heart starts to beat a little quicker, im flipping a shit in my chair. its about goddamn time. i change my answer from ss2 to atmosphir as well. the call has been sent.

the recitation involves us going around and playing a bunch of games we learned about in lecture (since its the first week, we were playing board games critically rather than digital games.) the girl i played with was rly cute so i was pretty absorbed in going around and playing all the games w her, but i kept the ginger kid in the back of my the head the whole time.

as were cleaning up, hes 1v1ing some other dude in chess. by this point ive calmed down, obviously, but im still pretty fucking excited. i go and tap his shoulder. (maybe it was rude to butt into their chess game, but this was my only shot that day and i didnt want to wait a fucking week.)

"hey, so you played atmosphir, right?" i ask.

"yea," he responds.

"what was your username when you played?" i continue.

"damn, i still dont remember," he seems visibly disappointed.

"were you active on the forums at all?" one last hope.

"n-no, i wasnt," he says.

"oh, alright," i want to die. "atmosphir was a fucking awesome game, though."

"yea," he says.

i leave. he goes back to his chess game.

i want to jump out a fucking window

i guess the odds were pretty small that he was active on the forums, but tbh, why the fuck would he say that atmosphir is his favorite game if he couldnt remember his god damn username? that shit bugs me. im definitely biased as hell because i was so excited, i guess. but it still kinda sucks dick.

the whole experience brought me back into my middle school days. i admittedly fantasized a little bit about him before i met him, like i did when i was little. ill ask him if he got any lotds or anything when i see him again. he did seem a little awkward, and im not sure he wanted to talk to me. i doubt well be good friends. : (

moral of the story: keep yr expectations low, boys

if any of you guys live in nyc and wanna meet up and talk about atmosphir or dick around or fuckin idk, lmk here and we can hang out
good to b back, tho. ill prob join the discord soon
Phantomboy

Re: i met an atmosphir player in real life

Post by Phantomboy »

Ah, gosh~! This can actually happen? That is kinda incredible! If you, happen to speak to him again, maybe mention the forums here!

I remember as a younger kid, I tried to get some of my friends into Atmosphir… I don't think it ever really worked, they were more of console gaming type peeps, and less computer gaming type peeps; but I digress!

Too bad that I don't living in or around New York, as I've always sort of dreamed up the idea of having an OMB meet-up in real life… to get to just be enthusiastic about what we are all up to. Although, that's kind of a pipe dream, I'll admit!

Anyway, thank you for sharing—it honestly brought a smile to my face!
Prime

Post by Prime »

yea it was wild!! i never imagined that would actually happen
luckily i was able to get a bunch of my friends into it, but i never met someone who i hadnt introduced.
no problem! if i get any more out of him ill post here again : )
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

I literally love this
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

Get him in dat discord
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Prime

Post by Prime »

ill try my best! hopefully ill get to have a solid conversation with him sometime in the future.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

Wow
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

P R I M E ! ! !
join disgord blease :DD
Prime

Post by Prime »