The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Any Emulator Users Here?

Everything video game related
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Any Emulator Users Here?

Post by ElectroYoshi »

The "Who here has a PS4?" thread was getting a bit oversaturated with general talk about emulators (at the hands of me and StreetLights) so I decided to just put together a thread about them.

The only emulator I've ever really used that often is Visual Boy Advance for Game Boy Advance games. But what about you guys?
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

I've used Project 64 and 1964 for playing games like Super Mario 64. I also have a quit a few emulators on my modded Wii.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I've used Project 64 here and there, but I never really got the hang of how it controlled.

The best games I've played on VBA are:
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Yoshi's Island
I can name a few more GBA games I've played on VBA that I really enjoyed, but these are at the top of the list methinks.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Keep in mind, distribution of ROM's is an illegal transfer - unless you are the owner of the original game... I just want to avoid specifically getting into that aspect :) I do use Project 64, I still have my original 64 and Super Mario for it - so I enjoy getting to play it on the road and such!
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Things I emulate-
Games that I already own and want to either record, corrupt or play without having to get the console out.
Games that are not available anymore, so I therefore cannot buy them.
Games not available in the UK such as Mother 3 etc.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Anthemion

Post by Anthemion »

I did tinker around with emulators, but ended up scrapping them because of legal issues. :C

EDIT: There is something called DOSBox though. I emulate DOS age games that become freeware such as Tyrian/Tyrian 2000 and One Must Fall 2097. Gotta love that memory trip.

Warning: Setting up the program may be difficult.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Anthemion wrote:I did tinker around with emulators, but ended up scrapping them because of legal issues. :C
Yeah, that is always a factor. I generally stick to - only play emulations of games that I've personally purchased. However, I would say even safer would be to not play any at all.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

I use Project64 and Dolphin with my friends during breaks on one of our school computers (with usb controllers), we only play games that at least one of us owns though.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Newah

Post by Newah »

Phantomboy wrote:Keep in mind, distribution of ROM's is an illegal transfer - unless you are the owner of the original game... I just want to avoid specifically getting into that aspect :) I do use Project 64, I still have my original 64 and Super Mario for it - so I enjoy getting to play it on the road and such!

In reality the law is that you're not even allowed to download ROMS of games you own, the idea being it's not your original copy. Stupid law, I know. The only real legal way to do it is if you copied your own games yourself using fancy hardware. But I think it's one of those laws that people don't really care about, nor is it really enforced.

As for myself, I actually use the Dolphin emulator frequently. It emulates both the Wii and Gamecube quite well, also allowing you to upscale the games to 1080p. Super Mario Galaxy in 1080 is glorious.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

PCSX2 is awesome because it lets you play actual PS2 game discs, ie fully legal.

I used it to play Persona 4, which was absolutely fantastic.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I don't see what the difference is here between talking about actual gaming consoles and emulation of we can only talk about emulating legally :P It's basically asking "what games do you have?"

Not that I emulate illegally, I'm just saying.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

Personally, I only emulate games with which I have absolutely no possible access to, or if I already own the game and I want another save file (curse you, Pokémon).

Really, the only games I've emulated as of late are Danganronpa (Project Zetsubou's English Patch) on PPSSPP and Pokémon Emerald on VBA. Both work really, really well. Although, Danganronpa did take a little bit of settings jiggling, but once I got it up and running it ran extremely smoothly.

VBA is just generally fantastic.
jhjoseph91
Location: .LOC FILE CORRUPT. SCANNING C:\LOCATION\ FOR REPLACEMENT...

Post by jhjoseph91 »

Virtual PC count?
i'm from another dimension!
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

I love playing N64 games on my android phone. I was playing "Ocarina Of Time" at one point.
boberto

Post by boberto »

I use emulators quite a bit on my Galaxy Nexus. Gameboid Lite works perfect for my Pokemon Emerald obsession but I don't think it's in the play store any longer, I snagged it like three years ago. DraStic is one of the best emulators out there, it plays DS games without any lag or dropped frames even on a 2-year-old phone like mine. Been playing SoulSilver on it lately and it's wonderful. It does cost a bit of money but its performance is unmatched by any other emulator I have used, even on my laptop. >_<
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

WHAT IS IT WITH ME BUMPING OLD THREADS

I'm bumping this because I recently starting using emulators like Zsens, and I'm wondering if Project64 is worth getting when I only have a keyboard. Advice?
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I've been using Project 64 for a while now with just a keyboard, granted all I play is Super Mario 64 which isn't the most complex on a keyboard. It is generally up to what you are comfortable with-- I was fine getting use to a slightly odd control scheme for the ease of not needing to fire up my actual N64
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Phantomboy wrote:I've been using Project 64 for a while now with just a keyboard, granted all I play is Super Mario 64 which isn't the most complex on a keyboard. It is generally up to what you are comfortable with-- I was fine getting use to a slightly odd control scheme for the ease of not needing to fire up my actual N64
Oh yeah, I guess I would depend on the game.

Derp.
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

What games are you interested in emulating?
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Phantomboy wrote:What games are you interested in emulating?
No idea yet. I suppose Goldeneye, which I don't own but have played many times before. I've also wanted to try the Banjo-Kazooie games for awhile.

There's probably more, but I can't think right now.