The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Voxelus Discusion Thread

Everything video game related
RetroBandit
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Voxelus Discusion Thread

Post by RetroBandit »

So yeah. Voxelus is the spiritual successor to atmosphir and we should talk about it. Let me start this off by speculating the gameplay of this game.

1: Planting a tree.

According to the site if you plant a tree in the game the tree will grow over time. This could be applied to so much more too. Some animals and enemies can become rare when hunted too often and more powerful because of natural selection. The fall of a city echos throughout the land and leaves a scar in its passing. Every single choice would have a consequence, that echos through the land.

2: Virtual Reality

This is cool. This game will be one of my first reasons to get oculus rift when the consumer version comes out, but how will it play into the game, will the vr be required, will vr be a option, and what about the immersions of the experience. We could be looking at a sandbox version of sword art online if this is successful.

3: Creativity

This needs to be one of the main aspects of the game, and coming from a novice game developer, I know that implementing creation tools or crafting or terraforming can all be very hard work. I wouldn't even know where to start on this. The most I know would be how to make a third person character controller with a camera that follows it around, so this will be a feat for the undertaking.

4: The community in development.

I personally think it would be a great idea if the dev team released screen captures and occasionally makes community polls on what features would be better. Not only would it put a sense of value in the community but the screens will also gather hype for the game. The options could be endless really, one thing could be a design contest where whoever can make the best house in the demo of voxelus if one comes out then that house will be in a town or in the tutorial or something. Stuff like that can really give the community a reason to stick with the game. Because as we learned in atmosphir, once the community wanes, your game is done. Unless your really lucky and can get a advertising campaign or a expansion pack or something else. Your done. That's not saying that such a event never occurred where a game rised from the ashes(cough, cough, atmosphir) but it is very hard to do so.

5: Things that need to be in this game.

Other than the thing announced on the website and co-op wich I am assuming will be in the game these are the things I would like to see.

A: Logic circuits

If your going to have events and logic(maby in computer ternamles?) Than the logic system needs to be revamped. having each event take up a tile is very outdated and they should go for a little big planet aproch where a board or computer takes up one spot and that expands into the logic once you get up close.

B: If there is rpg leveling. don't make it leveling in the traditional sense.

Come on, just don't make everyone level one, then level two, and so on. If there is rpg elements make it so you actually train in the game to get better at tasks. The more you run with heavy loads the more endurance you build up. Make it so at first a new task is hard but then the same task get easier and easier the more you practice. Even though I play world of Warcraft and can say leveling is good for that kind of rpg. Leveling wouldn't be good for the sandbox game your making out voxelus to be.

C: Player inventions

As a sanbox/creation tool you can not add every single thing a player can think of, but you can lay some groundwork that the player can put together to invent a new machine, discover a new way to fight mukas without using your sword. This is also hard and I don't expect this to be in the first version of the game, but I think that this game needs to be a experience that you could be immersed in for hours on end with discovery and you can't just look everything up on the internet.

That's the end of the cool stuff list but I want to say one more thing before I leave it to you guys to talk.

6: Will this game take off?

Okay please reply to this and give me your thoughts since this took me a long time to write.
Sincerely- iam12not3man
I think I am flying?
UC101

Post by UC101 »

um.. its terminals.. not ternimles.
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Moved to gaming gossip.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

it seems like the devs experiment in
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
matthewbny
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by matthewbny »

iam12not3man wrote:Some animals and enemies can become rare when hunted too often and more powerful because of natural selection.

Hate to cherry pick this, but natural selection does not necessarily make a species or specimen stronger -- rather it is survival of the fittest as Charles Darwin has depicted. Consider a thought experiment, with a herd of around fifty bulls. Now, in this thought experiment, a herd can only travel as slow as it's slowest member (also referred to as the weakest link), so, through the bulls leaving him behind, the bull contracting illness or getting fatigued, etc. the process of natural selection ultimately separates the bull from the herd, increasing the chances of the herd's survival.
Don't you just hate when someone cuts you off in the middle of a sente
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

fine but I still think they should at least become rare when hunted to often. Can we get to discussion now?
I think I am flying?
papaya

Post by papaya »

matthewbny wrote:Hate to cherry pick this, but natural selection does not necessarily make a species or specimen stronger -- rather it is survival of the fittest as Charles Darwin has depicted. Consider a thought experiment, with a herd of around fifty bulls. Now, in this thought experiment, a herd can only travel as slow as it's slowest member (also referred to as the weakest link), so, through the bulls leaving him behind, the bull contracting illness or getting fatigued, etc. the process of natural selection ultimately separates the bull from the herd, increasing the chances of the herd's survival.
what? you just described natural selection.
The stronger/more desirable traits (Say, moving quickly) become more common because the animals carrying these traits are more likely to survive. Over time, the slower bulls die out and the faster ones make loads of bull babies who also have their parents ability to move quickly.

of course simulating evolution is pretty tricky for a game. Just make animals stronger or more common based on their predators and prey. I.E kill off loads of wolves and the rabbits thrive, kill off loads of rabbits and the wolves die with them.
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

yeah this is what I'm talking about and also, slower bulls are easier and more likely to be killed so the strong and fast one live another day and make fast bull babies like you said papaya.
I think I am flying?
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

All this news about the game our community was developed upon being reincarnated, and we're here arguing about natural selection.
papaya

Post by papaya »

well tbh we have literally 0 to discuss at the moment besides whats posted on voxelus.com and what little the dev team have already told us
matthewbny

Post by matthewbny »

papaya wrote:well tbh we have literally 0 to discuss at the moment besides whats posted on voxelus.com and what little the dev team have already told us
inb4 infracted for off topic posting

I just hope you don't have to buy the Oculus headsets and a controller to play them. That would kind of go against the legacy of an f2p game that Atmosphir cast upon Voxelus. It would really sink the commercial viability of the game. As I've mentioned before, look at how (although somewhat modestly) popular Atmosphir was, and the impact Minecraft, Gameglobe (rip) Project Spark and Little Big Planet have had on gaming culture (and in Minecraft's case, culture in general). If my predictions are right, Voxelus' primary audience will be a bunch of American prepubescent children who go to elementary or middle school. Games like this appeal to kids their age, and seeing as how Minecraft isn't getting any cheaper, the internet will want a great looking, free alternative. And I doubt anyone would just go to Gamestop to deliberately buy an Oculus Rift just for Voxelus
Don't you just hate when someone cuts you off in the middle of a sente
papaya

Post by papaya »

does gamestop even sell oculus rifts

but yeah I do hope the oculus rift is optional.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Voxelus Website wrote:The game is designed to be experienced in first person, with a virtual reality headset only. Prepare to have your mind blown!

Voxelus Website wrote:Prepare to have your mind blown!

RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

Well I am look for a excuse to buy the oculus rift and this is it.
I think I am flying?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I really do hope they look into allowing play with Mouse/Keyboard. A this moment in time, not very many people own VR gear. While that may change in the future, regular mouse and keyboard input will probably never be replaced, and is always an open market, at least that's the way I think of it anyway.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Rabbidfan236 wrote: Image

I see what you did there. That would not be a family friendly game then though.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Baufritz wrote:I see what you did there. That would not be a family friendly game then though.

Somewhere a misunderstanding was made.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:....

Somewhere a misunderstanding was made.

I guess I frequent the wrong parts of the internet too much...

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

....I picked a baaaaad time to open this thread...

I'm kinda cautious in my optimism because of Voxelus' history, but this does seem a lot more fleshed out than before, so I'm a lot more interested in seeing where this all goes.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
RetroBandit

Post by RetroBandit »

Well Voxelus should be at GDC 2015 and who knows, maybe the developers will show game play footage before then.
Voxelus looks promising at the moment, but for all we know the company went bankrupt again in the past week since they posted and there not developing anymore.
But as they say, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."
I think I am flying?