The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Voxelus Discusion Thread

Everything video game related
UC101

Post by UC101 »

I have a saying: Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed.
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

UC101 wrote:I have a saying: Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed.
I'm more of a cautious pessimist myself.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
nonic5

Post by nonic5 »

bionicnacho wrote:I really do hope they look into allowing play with Mouse/Keyboard. A this moment in time, not very many people own VR gear. While that may change in the future, regular mouse and keyboard input will probably never be replaced, and is always an open market, at least that's the way I think of it anyway.

I'm not expecting Voxelus to be released before 2017. By then, things with VR will be different. By the time the game comes out, I don't think you will need to worry.
matthewbny
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by matthewbny »

nonic5 wrote:
I'm not expecting Voxelus to be released before 2017. By then, things with VR will be different. By the time the game comes out, I don't think you will need to worry.
I doubt that VR will be a household gaming product by 2017, unless they are significantly underpriced/overproduced (and subsequently underpriced).

According to an IGN.com article:
The consumer modelOculus Riftcould sell for $200-$400 according to Oculus VR co-founder Nate Mitchell.
So yeah, unless Voxelus wants to fall down the same rabbit hole Atmosphir did it shouldn't require the Oculus Rift or a controller. They never mentioned what controller they plan on using (if it's custom, a Playstation controller, an XBox controller, a Wii controller, or what model controller it is, since they all have multiple variants as their consoles have aged).

I'm not seeing Voxelus being really commercially viable at the moment, but who knows. Maybe it can replace Minecraft one day. Maybe.
Don't you just hate when someone cuts you off in the middle of a sente
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

matthewbny wrote:So yeah, unless Voxelus wants to fall down the same rabbit hole Atmosphir did it shouldn't require the Oculus Rift or a controller. They never mentioned what controller they plan on using (if it's custom, a Playstation controller, an XBox controller, a Wii controller, or what model controller it is, since they all have multiple variants as their consoles have aged).

I'm not seeing Voxelus being really commercially viable at the moment, but who knows. Maybe it can replace Minecraft one day. Maybe.

Yeah, this is what I was about to say. Microtransactions are fine, but unless they want to fail spectacularly, they shouldn't involve hardware.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Microtransactions are fine,
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

See, contrary to popular belief, microtransactions aren't inherently bad...

[media=youtube]WXA559KNopI[/media]
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Not to quell questions or concerns with nullifications, but, it is fair to say that this is primarily speculation on our part. I don't personally thing that microtransactions are a bad thing, I think they can be done gracefully and clumsily just as anything. I feel uncomfortable having any definitive opinions on the design before seeing anything of it-- because I am willing to accept most decisions if there is reason or if it is done well.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:Not to quell questions or concerns with nullifications, but, it is fair to say that this is primarily speculation on our part. I don't personally thing that microtransactions are a bad thing, I think they can be done gracefully and clumsily just as anything. I feel uncomfortable having any definitive opinions on the design before seeing anything of it-- because I am willing to accept most decisions if there is reason or if it is done well.
My point exactly.

But again, the VR probably shouldn't be mandatory, for the same reason that microtransactions fail when they aren't done right. It would shrink the potential audience a lot, and I don't think that's worth sacrificing for innovation.
matthewbny

Post by matthewbny »

IMO it should handle microtransactions in a similar manner they did with Atmosphir. They should give you Atmos, but there should always be a free alternative to getting those Atmos, because you could only earn Atmos if you had a membership or have paid for a game (anything beyond the initial 500 atmos you got when you created an account was out of reach unless you won a design contest/giveaway for membership).

Another way to go with this is inflation of currency as the real-world price goes up. Say 500 Atmos is a dollar. For five dollars, you can obtain 3000 Atmos (the currency to dollar rate rises as the dollar amount increases). One example of this is seen in Clash of Clans, where 500 gems is worth 5 American Dollars, 1200 gems is worth 10 American Dollars, and so forth.

But another, more interesting strategy is reward by real-world currency. What I'm basically conveying is, if you spend over a certain amount or more, you get an additional (whether it be real-world or in-game) prize for free. For example, if you buy 37500 Atmos for 100 dollars, you also get a free T-Shirt (if you decide to use a real-world model) or 8x XP gain, or a cool new weapon that is like one shot kill or whatever the developers deem necessary. If that in-game equipment, however, is "broken", or unusually better than all other equipment/weapons, then you are going in the wrong direction with it. Said equipment should be better than most guns, but the best guns should be worth more of in-game currency. This way, you don't have to complain about paying members having necessarily better weapons or equipment than non-paying members, this way, both paying and non-paying members have an equal theoretical chance to obtain the "best" equipment.

I hope that made sense. If not, just asking me to clarify.
UC101

Post by UC101 »

If it is going to include microtransactions, make it so the game is PLAYABLE for free. not like: OH YOU WANT ACCESS TO BUILD? WELL ITS FREE FOR $20!
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I always think that a great example of microtransactions is the increasingly popular game, League of Legends.

The base game is completely free, however, there are unlockable champions or characters that you can get either with IP (Influence Points) or RP (Riot Points). IP is earned by simply playing the game, giving "First win of the day" bonuses and what not. RP is bought with real money. These champions do influence gameplay, since each has different abilities you can use, but anybody can unlock all 100+ characters without spending a dime.

There's another section which are skins that you can get for each champion. These, however, can only be acquired by spending RP but that doesn't really matter since this doesn't affect gameplay at all. You can simply choose to use the default character skins, which are really cool anyway.

I know Voxelus probably wont involve these sorts of elements like different characters that do different things, but it can definitely be applied in unlocking certain theme packs for blocks that are already available in a different variant. They've mentioned that at least for now, there isn't an online play browser, so character customization wouldn't really be something people would want to buy since you can't show if off.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, microtransactions could definitely work. Unlock all the essential elements of the game either with earnable currency or just unlock it outright, and have "extras" that require you to pay, but aren't essential.

This sort of game I think could do better, however, if it just requires you to buy the whole game outright. Why? Because that way nobody will be limited to do the things they might want to do, the way they want to do them. This type of game is, in my opinion, kind of a hard thing to apply microtransactions to, however, if done right I think it could do pretty well. I know I'm kind of contradicting myself but it's kind of a hard thing to explain. Basically, if the game is good enough, you can be sure I'll buy it (if the price is right and not something absurd like $50) and if the microtransactions are done well, I'll also spend money that way, as I have done in League of Legends. I've spent like $100 in that game in skins alone... Someone help me.

On the topic of the VR being mandatory, I've already said it and I'll say it again: pleeeaaase don't make it mandatory... As yoshi said, it can really shrink the audience to a more niche market than it already is: A game for people that both own a VR headset and people that like to tinker around and make games or things.
matthewbny

Post by matthewbny »

I want something like the Atmosphir UGC contest to happen in Voxelus. That would be a great idea.
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff

Post by ZeroSwordsMaster »

prayer circle that VR isn't mandatory

Hopefully it will be pretty flexible, can't wait to see some form of announcement of the game's status; it's definitely looking more sci-fi/semi realistic than the old Voxelus concepts. Hopefully it won't be too gritty tho.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

Can't wait for the gameplay.
Spoiler
is kind of familiar to this
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Ooh they updated the site. Looks like the dev team's still called BlackPony and MinorVentures is back...
matthewbny

Post by matthewbny »

Would love to see the direction the team (especially Halsey) takes it. One thing they should definitely do is listen to the community, especially this thread, because I've seen some good ideas thrown around in here.

Also, what was Maximo's username on Atmosphir? Is he on these forums?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

matthewbny wrote:Also, what was Maximo's username on Atmosphir? Is he on these forums?
He may be "Kotorna" on the forums, but I'm not entirely sure.
matthewbny

Post by matthewbny »

I wonder if there will be multiplayer during the initial release of Voxelus. Nothing has been said about that and I doubt it, but it would be great.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Oculus rift should be getting cheaper not more expensive... The devkit is $350, but there's no way I'm paying that much to play Voxelus. Hopefully when it's released it'll be closer to $50-$100? If it's any more than that, I don't think there's any way they'll be able to make money if it requires VR.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: