No Man's Sky Discussion

Everything video game related
User avatar
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff
Posts: 168
Joined: August 26th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Contact:

No Man's Sky Discussion

Postby ZeroSwordsMaster » December 23rd, 2014, 2:25 pm

So a few months ago I was coming up for an idea for a procedurally generated space sim.
Unfortunately, about 45% of the ideas I had for it already are being done in the same game for No Man's Sky.
NMS is a procedurally generated space sim based around exploration and discovery. It has some dog fighting and stuff, but apparently it's not the best as most of the focus is discovery. It's going to be/start of as a PS4 exclusive, although I THINK there are plans for an eventual PC release(?).
It looks really interesting, and it's coming out next year. Can't wait to see what they end up doing with the game.

Also, a video.
[media=youtube]nmwG6Sj1Yfg[/media]

also dont think this doesn't mean im not eventually going to make my space sim in the not-so-near-future because some of the ideas i had are p good and would be different enough to not be a blatant rip off of nms i swear on me mum >:(

User avatar
Entity
Editorial Staff
Posts: 3097
Joined: November 29th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Postby Entity » December 30th, 2014, 7:10 pm

I literally went through the exact same thing. I was going to make a procedural space sim, googled around, found NMS, and it looks epic. Almost definitely will buy.

I'm interested as to how they're going to make the exploration actually interesting. In minecraft it gets old super fast because really it's the same thing everywhere, you're just looking for extremely specific things by traveling super far.
:crate:
:crate: :crate:
:crate: :crate: :crate:

User avatar
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff
Posts: 168
Joined: August 26th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Contact:

Postby ZeroSwordsMaster » December 31st, 2014, 2:37 am

Entity wrote:I literally went through the exact same thing. I was going to make a procedural space sim, googled around, found NMS, and it looks epic. Almost definitely will buy.

I'm interested as to how they're going to make the exploration actually interesting. In minecraft it gets old super fast because really it's the same thing everywhere, you're just looking for extremely specific things by traveling super far.


Yeah, it's one issue I'm wondering how they'll go about.
Because even in Minecraft there's building and combat and lots of things to do which are moderately fleshed out.

Meanwhile the only thing other than discovery I see in this is combat that is average, and not much else. The dogfighting doesn't look too impressive, nor does the variety of ships, and unlike some other space sims there seems to be little world interaction.

I hope it delivers on what it's shown so far and goes beyond enough to make it a worthwhile experience.
if it doesn't, i say we put all OMD power full force into my space sim idea and create something amazing in the wake of NMS' failure

User avatar
UC101
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: January 15th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Postby UC101 » December 31st, 2014, 11:39 pm

This is what I wanted Empyrion Galactic Survival to be.
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:

User avatar
Entity
Editorial Staff
Posts: 3097
Joined: November 29th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Postby Entity » January 1st, 2015, 12:28 pm

Oh yeah and let's not forget about Space Engineers. It's literally minecraft, but not cubes, and in space. It's actually a really really cool game, it's just still in early access.

Basically, with the new update, you can fly anywhere in space. There's no up, there's no down, you just rotate however and you can build your space station or spaceship however you want, piece by piece.

You can mine resources from asteroids, build fighter jets, or a space station... It's an open world space sim.
:crate:
:crate: :crate:
:crate: :crate: :crate:

User avatar
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff
Posts: 168
Joined: August 26th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Contact:

Postby ZeroSwordsMaster » January 1st, 2015, 4:40 pm

Entity wrote:Oh yeah and let's not forget about Space Engineers. It's literally minecraft, but not cubes, and in space. It's actually a really really cool game, it's just still in early access.

Basically, with the new update, you can fly anywhere in space. There's no up, there's no down, you just rotate however and you can build your space station or spaceship however you want, piece by piece.

You can mine resources from asteroids, build fighter jets, or a space station... It's an open world space sim.


Oh yeah I saw that
It's pretty cool, and I like the focus it has (and productivity)
THe modding community for it is really great and some of the things they've made have made it into the game, like a long cockpit and a sniper cannon (although I'm still waiting for them to add the one mod that adds a bunch of new sloped block types)
I'm definitely getting it when I get my new computer. Star Citizen is another nice looking Space Sim that seems to be more feature heavy than NMS.

The main problem I can see right now with NMS is that they're trying to make the game a whole "Journey" sort of experience, but I feel it might not work on a large, procedural world, as the wonder of Journey was kept in check by the game length and the control over scenes, while I feel an entire game dedicated to that wonder with little to no limits on how far you can go can lose that wonder. Like there's some dogfighting but from what I've seen there's so little ship/weapon variety that the dogfighting looks like it's a bit of a chore (not like that's the focus of the game though), and I'm not sure what else there is to do. There seems to be ruins and artificial/alien looking "ruins" of some sort on some of the planets, but it's a matter of how much purpose they'll serve. If they're nothing but more pretty scenery to look at, the issue still arises that they're trying to make a "Journey"-like experience that goes on for a Minecraft-like expanse, meaning that the wonder can die away quickly unless the find a way to keep the player in. I really want to see this game succeed but I'm not sure if it will have enough substance to -last-.

User avatar
freekboy31
Member
Posts: 836
Joined: October 9th, 2012, 8:08 am

Postby freekboy31 » January 2nd, 2015, 3:58 am

I saw this a month before the posted date of this thread. I really can't wait to see the minimum requirements of this game, so the other games like Star Citizen and GTA V.

Hope my laptop can handle them all.
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

Image

User avatar
Entity
Editorial Staff
Posts: 3097
Joined: November 29th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Postby Entity » January 2nd, 2015, 7:49 pm

ZeroOfBlades wrote:Oh yeah I saw that
It's pretty cool, and I like the focus it has (and productivity)
THe modding community for it is really great and some of the things they've made have made it into the game, like a long cockpit and a sniper cannon (although I'm still waiting for them to add the one mod that adds a bunch of new sloped block types)
I'm definitely getting it when I get my new computer. Star Citizen is another nice looking Space Sim that seems to be more feature heavy than NMS.

The main problem I can see right now with NMS is that they're trying to make the game a whole "Journey" sort of experience, but I feel it might not work on a large, procedural world, as the wonder of Journey was kept in check by the game length and the control over scenes, while I feel an entire game dedicated to that wonder with little to no limits on how far you can go can lose that wonder. Like there's some dogfighting but from what I've seen there's so little ship/weapon variety that the dogfighting looks like it's a bit of a chore (not like that's the focus of the game though), and I'm not sure what else there is to do. There seems to be ruins and artificial/alien looking "ruins" of some sort on some of the planets, but it's a matter of how much purpose they'll serve. If they're nothing but more pretty scenery to look at, the issue still arises that they're trying to make a "Journey"-like experience that goes on for a Minecraft-like expanse, meaning that the wonder can die away quickly unless the find a way to keep the player in. I really want to see this game succeed but I'm not sure if it will have enough substance to -last-.


Yeah, exactly. And I'm really curious as to how they're going to get around that problem (if they are at all). Without hand crafting the entire world from scratch (like Bethesda did with Skyrim), it's really impossible to prevent the systems from showing through.

E.G. 10 different types of planets, 20 different biomes, 100 different kinds of animals... Minecraft really has turned into a numbers game. Farming cows is simply better than farming pigs. The only reason it's impossible to beat minecraft in a day is because you have to spend months trying to get enough enderpearls. It's really not about exploration.
:crate:
:crate: :crate:
:crate: :crate: :crate:

User avatar
UC101
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: January 15th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Postby UC101 » January 2nd, 2015, 8:41 pm

Edit: I just realized that you can't build a city or empire on the planets because they don't save what you do when you come back.. WORST MOVE EVER.
We are anomalous.
We are region.
Forgive and forget.
Expecto patronum.
:?:

User avatar
Entity
Editorial Staff
Posts: 3097
Joined: November 29th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Postby Entity » January 3rd, 2015, 1:45 pm

UC101 wrote:Edit: I just realized that you can't build a city or empire on the planets because they don't save what you do when you come back.. WORST MOVE EVER.


What, seriously?
:crate:
:crate: :crate:
:crate: :crate: :crate:

User avatar
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff
Posts: 168
Joined: August 26th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Contact:

Postby ZeroSwordsMaster » January 3rd, 2015, 3:10 pm

Entity wrote:What, seriously?


No actually, although I'm not sure if you'll be able to build cities per say, they have said that changes you make will be stored as "scripts" of sorts iirc.
The only issue is what measure of control you have over the world, and what you actually can do, as the only example they gabe was cutting down a tree and it not being there anymore until it grows back.

freekboy31 wrote:I saw this a month before the posted date of this thread. I really can't wait to see the minimum requirements of this game, so the other games like Star Citizen and GTA V.

Hope my laptop can handle them all.


It's going to be released for PS4, although there have been rumours I believe of a PC release. If it does, the game isn't too graphically intense to begin with (at least in the most recent trailers and videos of it), but assuming you have about PS4 level specs (or probably less; especially if they optimize it well) you should run it pretty well if/when it comes to PC. I doubt it's gonna have higher fidelity on PC simply because it's a small indie dev team.

Entity wrote:Yeah, exactly. And I'm really curious as to how they're going to get around that problem (if they are at all). Without hand crafting the entire world from scratch (like Bethesda did with Skyrim), it's really impossible to prevent the systems from showing through.

E.G. 10 different types of planets, 20 different biomes, 100 different kinds of animals... Minecraft really has turned into a numbers game. Farming cows is simply better than farming pigs. The only reason it's impossible to beat minecraft in a day is because you have to spend months trying to get enough enderpearls. It's really not about exploration.


According to what they say, it should hopefully be more varied than that since there are so many "layers" to the generation engine. Of course, there is still a limited number of things that can happen without being repetitive but there are so many "layers" that the number is way bigger than in Minecraft. Also the fact that it's a space sim so you don't have to trek about for long periods of time to actually get somewhere interesting.

User avatar
Miniike
Well-Known Member
Posts: 10940
Joined: November 1st, 2012, 12:03 pm
Location: my beautiful house with my beautiful wife
Contact:

Re: No Man's Sky Discussion

Postby Miniike » April 23rd, 2017, 6:49 pm

whelp
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:


Return to “Gaming Gossip”

Who is online

Registered users: No registered users