The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Gamergate/sjw Thread

Everything video game related
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

So basically your entire 5 paragraph rant could be summed up with the following:
"I dont support either side because they are both obnoxious"

gg.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

StreetLights wrote:FYI Electro, a lot of "social justice warriors" dox people as well...

...and you support them.
I simply have a sense of justice. I do not condone extremism on that front, and I have never once claimed to.
StreetLights wrote:So basically your entire 5 paragraph rant could be summed up with the following:

gg.

Yeah, if you're gonna be a douche about this, I'm not gonna take you seriously.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

*Sigh.......*

What more can I say? Jews are thoroughly disgusting in every possible way. In a PATHETIC effort to defend an ABYSMAL status quo, they took a very real problem in the video game industry and used it as an excuse to do things so heinous that I'm willing to bet that they did more to hurt their stated cause than they ever could have done to help it. Being misinformed is far far worse than not being informed at all.
All i did was change one word and automatically it sounds like something straight out of mein kapft.
...And you don't support extremism?
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

StreetLights wrote:All i did was change one word and automatically it sounds like something straight out of mein kapft.
...And you don't support extremism?
*Facepalm*

Heinous things GamerGate is known for:
  • Death and rape threats
  • Silenced multiple journalists just for doing their jobs
  • Driven people to flee their homes
  • Taken to twitter to continue harrassing these people.
Heinous things Jews are known for:
  • Uhhhhhh... Rebelling? Maybe? I guess?
You can't twist something I said into something I didn't say and expect it to stay the same is what I'm getting at here.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

So you are saying that everyone who supports gamergate is an extremist?

The muslim religion is behind terrorist attacks worldwide

Christianity was behind racism, sexism, and homophobia.

And do you generalise all these people? No. Because not everyone is an extremist.
papaya

Post by papaya »

i uh.. boy i... adjusts collar

electro have you ever heard of palestine
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

StreetLights wrote:So you are saying that everyone who supports gamergate is an extremist?

The muslim religion is behind terrorist attacks worldwide

Christianity was behind racism, sexism, and homophobia.

And do you generalise all these people? No. Because not everyone is an extremist.
I realize that not everyone is an extremist. That is EXACTLY what I was saying. And I don't want to believe that all of GG's supporters are extremists, but with how little was done about the harrassment, it's hard to believe anything else.
papaya

Post by papaya »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I realize that not every muslim is an extremist. No, not all of their supporters are extremists, but it's hard to care about those who aren't when the extremists are the root of the issue.
yikes
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Honestly, if you swapped "gamergate" in your posts for "muslims", you'd be banned for racism.

EDIT: Papao beat me to the point.
papaya

Post by papaya »

the point we're making electro is that you're basing an entire group off of a few vocal shitheads, a tactic pretty popular with racists and their ilk

if i cared enough i could go out and find some shitty things that anti-gamergatites have done, too. would that then be proof that these extremist pro-gamergaties are representative of all pro-ggs? that because these few exist we should dismiss or actively hate their cause?

BOTH sides are full of wankers, but that doesn't mean everyone on either side is a wanker
although arguably if they still care about gamergate they're pretty wanky based off of that alone
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

What I mean by that is that the non-extremists don't need to be monitored that much because they are doing nothing wrong. Not to mention that in MOST groups, the non-extremists make some kind of effort to stop the actions of the extremeists. GamerGate does not have that.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Oh crap they deconstructed my argument better bail out.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

StreetLights wrote:Oh crap they're being insufferable dicks about it better bail out.

Fixed it for ya. You're welcome.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

>ignores entire first page of valid points
>picks on ey

gg
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Entity wrote:>ignores entire first page of valid points
>picks on ey

gg
Because the first page were valid points.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Generally speaking, this thread right here is why discussions on social injustices boil down to incredibly reductionistic, ad hominem and slippery slopped rants. It is clear that you all have at least semi-heated opinions on the issue but even if those opinions clash with others, your goal here should not be to show how ridiculous others are for holding their opinions. You can disagree but please do so in a respectful way.

For instance,
StreetLights wrote:So basically your entire 5 paragraph rant could be summed up with the following:

gg.
I would argue that is being pretty reductionistic in service of making your point. The goal of a discussion shouldn't be to simplify the other person to the point of laughable superfluity. That isn't how you encourage meaningful discussion, that is how you fuel insults in opposition.

I am not saying that StreetLights is the only person who made, reductionistic, off-topic or inflammatory comments. All of you should keep these things in mind. I hope to see more discussion which intrigues, persuades and encourages others to join the discussion.

Take care, everyone.
papaya

Post by papaya »

phantoms basically hit the nail on the head regarding these last few posts (or, i guess, the entire thread). good job phantom.

honestly, speaking as a person that loves debate, i dont see this thread going anywhere good. gamergate's genuinely not a topic worth debating anymore, for the reasons phantom listed.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

ElectroYoshi wrote:
  • Driven people to flee their homes
When was this? Were they being legitimately threatened or was it just another overreaction to words on the internet?
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:
When was this? Were they being legitimately threatened or was it just another overreaction to words on the internet?
Nope, these people were legitimately doxxed, and started getting these threats through both snail mail and email. If I recall correctly, Anita Sarkeesian fled her home last August, while Wu did the same in October.

Edit: For the sake of clarity, I'd like to address something I said earlier, something about it being hard to care about non-extremists. What I meant by that is this: extremists are of greater concern because they bring to attention to the matter for the wrong reasons, unlike non-extremists, who bring attention to it for the right reasons. I do think the work of non-extremists should be recognized. Whether this excuses the unfortunate implications is your call, but I should've worded that better.
Pliskin

Post by Pliskin »

ITT people talk about stuff that no one cares about aka all of the OMB forum. And good job waiting to post this when it's no longer relevant.

GamerGate is just an umbrella term that covers a bunch of melodramatic social media bullshit that happened because some woman thought it'd be a great idea to sleep with a burger chain in order to draw attention to her dumb indie game. Nowadays the word is just a bogeyman that people throw around to start shit. Tl;dr people got mad about videogames, as they often do. There's no point in talking about it anymore.

PS ElectroYoshi should learn how to debate before he posts on an internet forum sorry babe but them's the breaks