The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Why Nintendo Shouldn't Go Multiplatform

Everything video game related
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

Yes, but they need something cool and original ASAP
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Well, The Wonderful 101 comes out in less than a month. *Shrug*
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
tta

Post by tta »

This is good, except for one mistake: Sega didn't have Super Monkey Ball when they made consoles, the first console installment was on CameGube. The franchise however DID exist before they dropped out of the console market. "Monkey Ball" was a japanese arcade game developed on sega's "Naomi" engine, arcade games that used this engine had arcade cabinets that ran using Dreamcast hardware. Super Monkey Ball for GC is a remake of the original Monkey Ball, hence all of the arcade game elements.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Does anyone else feel like third-party developers are actively trying to kill the console?
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Its not that developers are trying to kill it. Its the fact that few people own it, and its about to become inferior in terms of specs. The Wii U is suffering from what the Kinect is. Same item, slightly improved, no innovation

Nintendo needs to prove to third parties, that it can blow Xbox One and PS4 out of the water.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:Its not that developers are trying to kill it. Its the fact that few people own it, and its about to become inferior in terms of specs.

I understand that those things could pose a problem, but here's the reason I say that:

When a third-party developer claims they don't want to develop for a Nintendo console, they often cite the inferior specs as the main reason. They say this is because that if they did develop for a Nintendo console, they'd have to "water it down" a lot. However, Assassin's Creed IV is going to be playable on all three 8th gen consoles. I have seen gameplay videos of all three versions, and Ubisoft aren't having to water it down at all to run on Wii U. And the Call of Duty games. Every single one of those since Call of Duty 3 was playable on a Nintendo console, and Activision didn't have to do that either. Most Guitar Hero and Rock Band games are also playable on the Wii, and...well, the differences are a tad more plentiful in that case than with AC or CoD admittedly, but those differences are still not drastic enough to be worth criticizing.

I think it only stands to reason that with all these exceptions to the whole "water it down" thing, third-party developers need to at least give this thing a fair chance. They aren't doing so and can't be bothered to even try, which is why I kinda feel like they "try to kill the system".

But then again, there are 70+ Wii U games in development outside of the Nintendo-developed ones I mentioned in the first post, so it's not absurd to think that will prove me wrong.
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

I personally think that Nintendo began to spiral downward the day they released Wii. They changed their style.

There is this nostalgia associated with the classics. Super MArio 64. LoZ OoT. Mario Kart (the old one). I just don't associate that nostalgia with anything released post-wii.
Kiriel

Post by Kiriel »

Nintendo was quite popular when the Wii came out. But then, yes, after a while nobody really noticed them. A lot of people don't even know a 3DS or a Wii U exists.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Computoguy wrote:Nintendo was quite popular when the Wii came out. But then, yes, after a while nobody really noticed them. A lot of people don't even know a 3DS or a Wii U exists.
Well, to be fair the 3DS is still selling a crap load of units.

Still, it's accurate to say that they don't get the attention they used to and that's a shame. I have a Wii U and although I only have three games for it so far, I've enjoyed it. The GamePad actually does allow for a lot of new possibilities in terms of gameplay. It's the size of the thing that I have a problem with.
Kiriel

Post by Kiriel »

But if you don't have the size, you can't really have a tablet. And really, to me the Wii-U looks like a console DS.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Computoguy wrote:And really, to me the Wii-U looks like a console DS.
There is truth to that admittedly, and that seems to be turning off a lot of 3DS owners. It's not attached to the TV screen though, so it can do things that the touch screen on a 3DS can't do. Still, I do understand why 3DS owners might find it redundant...
Kiriel

Post by Kiriel »

Hmm... and the Wii U is barely advertised. I mean, I see 3DS ads sometimes, but never one for a Wii U.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Target tried to advertise it, but unfortunately they failed miserably. I'm guessing this may be why people still think it's just a Wii add-on...

ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Oh wow... Fail much.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Kiriel

Post by Kiriel »

I just facepalmed so hard right there.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Whats wrong here?
Kiriel

Post by Kiriel »

The picture is of the original Wii on an advert for a Wii U.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Computoguy wrote:The picture is of the original Wii on an advert for a Wii U.
That does not look like the original wii.
Kiriel

Post by Kiriel »

It is the original Wii.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Computoguy wrote:It is the original Wii.
I own the original wii, thats not what it looks like.