The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

This Is An, Um... Interesting Approach To Openness...

Everything video game related
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

This Is An, Um... Interesting Approach To Openness...

Post by ElectroYoshi »

The norm of Zelda games is to obtain an item in a dungeon and then use it to complete that dungeon. However, the upcoming 3DS installment "A Link Between Worlds" is doing it much differently.

This is "Ravio's shop", where you rent the items needed to progress through the game, allowing you to complete dungeons in any order you want to.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this idea at all. But what do you all think?
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

I guess it could lead to some cool possibilities, but I probably won't use it.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

NO!
Its different yes, but dungeons normally re-enforce the story in Zelda games. This idea has me fear that the dungeons in this game are used to get required talismans for completing the game, but that will be the only motive to do the dungeons.

When I played skyward sword for example, I didn't do the dungeons because I wanted a challenge. I did the dungeons to hopefully find Zelda.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I'm all for making Zelda games more open, but this doesn't seem like it was thought out that well. If you die while holding these items, they go back to the shop automatically (Just one of the many problems I had with Majora's Mask), and I can see myself going allllllllllll the way back to the shop to get an item I didn't know I needed rather frequently.

I'm hoping that it turns out to be optional. I'm already a tad skeptical about its story because Skyward Sword's totally blew me away, and I don't want to have these factors to worry about to.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Oddly enough, I actually think this might have worked in Skyward Sword. I mean, think about it: What happens, plot wise, in between the prologue and first three dungeons other then the introduction of Girahim and Impa? NOTHING. If A Link Between Worlds has anywhere near the amount of pointless padding that Skyward Sword did, screw chronology.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

It's interesting, but sort of goes against every Zelda game to date...

Also, on a completely unrelated topic-

What do you guys think of KSP? (Kerbal Space Program)

Anybody played it? It's a pretty good deal for only $23, just saying...

Now- back to ALBW...
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Newah

Post by Newah »

SirWrek wrote:It's interesting, but sort of goes against every Zelda game to date...

Also, on a completely unrelated topic-

What do you guys think of KSP? (Kerbal Space Program)

Anybody played it? It's a pretty good deal for only $23, just saying...

Now- back to ALBW...

Love KSP, I've spent some quality time on it. I think it's made me smarter. :P

Also, I don't really think this will change all that much, and I applaud Nintendo for trying something new, even if it doesn't work out in the long run.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Newah wrote: Also, I don't really think this will change all that much, and I applaud Nintendo for trying something new, even if it doesn't work out in the long run.
Eh, true.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Supposedly, you'll still be able to get items in dungeons and in the overworld.

Hopefully that's true. I jsut love that feeling of accomplishment I get when I finally find the item I need.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Supposedly, you'll still be able to get items in dungeons and in the overworld.

Hopefully that's true. I jsut love that feeling of accomplishment I get when I finally find the item I need.
I hope so indeed.
LeWacky

Post by LeWacky »

what's wrong with catering to the ever-growing casual market?

this could be the game that introduces them to the 'wonders' of zelda and you think its bad?
Des!!!

Post by Des!!! »

"Oh no! They changed something in a game that I DONT LIKE!!!! How disrespectful!!!" - Every person who is a fan of something and cant take change
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Des!!! wrote:"Oh no! They changed something in a game that I DONT LIKE!!!! How disrespectful!!!" - Every person who is a fan of something and cant take change
I understand that mentality towards content creators is pretty common on the internet. However, I think this was more so an honest concern of game development, not quite as complain-y if that makes any since.

To be honest, I am not involved enough in the Legend of Zelda to know how crucial of a change this actually is, however fans raising concern is sort of a part of how fans work. In most cases developers actually appreciate the feedback :)
LeWacky

Post by LeWacky »

its actually a fair change, I mean they're not forcing you to do it.
Its like easy mode and hard mode. You nostalgic weirdos who enjoy zelda can use the hardmode and everyone else can use the easy mode. Using one or the other does not make you less of a person
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Oh, well then that makes since! :)
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

LeWacky wrote: You nostalgic weirdos who enjoy zelda can use the hardmode
I do believe I shall name this mode after moi- as it would be how I'd play. ;-)
AtmoMario

Post by AtmoMario »

...so will I finally be able to just grab the items from all dungeons and then beat them in whatever order I feel like? Or is it going to be use the shop or use event triggers? Because I just want to play a Zelda game that doesn't feel railroad-y again, without replaying any of the first three released (LoZ, LoZ II, ALttP).

Modern games have too many event triggers.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

AtmoMario wrote:...so will I finally be able to just grab the items from all dungeons and then beat them in whatever order I feel like? Or is it going to be use the shop or use event triggers? Because I just want to play a Zelda game that doesn't feel railroad-y again, without replaying any of the first three released (LoZ, LoZ II, ALttP).

Modern games have too many event triggers.

My main beef with it isn't so much that it makes the game less linear, so much as this:
ElectroYoshi wrote:I'm all for making Zelda games more open, but this doesn't seem like it was thought out that well. If you die while holding these items, they go back to the shop automatically (Just one of the many problems I had with Majora's Mask), and I can see myself going allllllllllll the way back to the shop to get an item I didn't know I needed rather frequently.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

I don't think i need to tell you all, but I can't wait for 11/22 to come so that I can get my hands on a non-review version of ALBW. BTW, have no fear, the open sharing of purchased items and trading and such works excellently, just so you know... The game's pretty epic.
AtmoMario

Post by AtmoMario »

True. Having to get the items again every time you die could get annoying very quickly. Although at least that isn't as bad as you losing every consumable item every 46 minutes.