The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Lotw 2/11/2014 - The Adventures Of Captain Cameron By Electroyoshi

Share great levels you've made or played.
MaximumDragon

Lotw 2/11/2014 - The Adventures Of Captain Cameron By Electroyoshi

Post by MaximumDragon »

I'm going to be honest, normally when I enter a level and see "Beat the Score" I sigh a bit on the inside. I can just tell that the level is going to be another drawn out search every corner to find the hidden treasure level. I'm not very excited usually about treasure hunt levels. This level though.... It stands out from the rest of the genre of treasure hunt levels!

What makes me enjoy this level more than the rest of the genre is the fact that the treasures seems to fit in naturally with the flow of the level. It feels as though you are progressing through a normal level and the treasures are just keeping you on track. I feel like this is an amazing way to handle treasure hunt levels and would love it if other designers followed ElectroYoshi's lead!

Now if the treasures just seem to fit into the flow of the level, then how good is the level? It's an obstacle course with zero jump power that doesn't really ever feel too difficult. Normally I like a little challenge in my levels, but after a long day of taking exams, this was a perfect level to come back to. The score limit still makes you feel like you are accomplishing things, and the constantly changing environments are all very well put together.

The general flow of this level was stellar because of the modular feel of it. There was a feeling of accomplishment each time that the teleporter lit up at the end of the module, but also of fear... You never wanted it to be over! I think this modular feel kept the level fresh throughout, along with the large variance in hazards and the creative level design based around zero jump power.

ElectroYoshi, your design skills have definitely shown in this level. Congratulations!
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Ah, I have actually gotten a chance to play this one! Definitely deserves the title, good job electro!
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Well this is certainly a pleasant surprise. xD

I'll be honest, this level didn't take me long to make, but in a weird way, I don't think it would've worked as well if it had. I was going for something simple, yet active, and I... kinda get the feeling I accomplished that. :P

Glad ya liked it Max!
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

ElectroYoshi wrote: I was going for something simple, yet active, and I... kinda get the feeling I accomplished that. :P
You certainly did! I played it too and was going to Spotlight it if nobody else did :3
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Yeah, my intention was that the challenge wasn't getting the gems so much as figuring out the best way to.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Posting this up to the stats.
Spoiler
%startannounce
New LOTD: The Adventures Of Captain Cameron By Electroyoshi.
%endannounce %ends2/17/2014
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Congrats, really liked this level!
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.