The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Real Talk: On Omb, "the Gang", And The Drama

Chat about anything
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

but when
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

papaya wrote:but when
next month in valve time
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
MONTEL

Post by MONTEL »

I certainly hope that atmosphir can grow to be what it once was. A lively, creative, friendly community completed with hard working, equally as creative developers. Or at least that's what it seemed like to me....

Am I just being naive?

Anyway, i wanted to like, contribute (if you will) in some sort of way and I suck at writing code so is there any spot i can fill? Advertisement? Anything?
kroltan
Developer

Post by kroltan »

Sorry to poke on a post that apparently is only looking for attention, let me tell you my opinion, Papaya:
papaya wrote: Like it or not, this forum is purposeless. We don't organise playing games together, we don't try and have serious discussions on things, we just kinda throw banter about until threads like this happen. It's stuff that, as I've said many fucking times previously, could be confined to a simple steam group. Right now, this forum is used to hold onto what's left of Atmosphir, while the devs sit about and don't really appear to do much. What's the progress on all of those new features you guys are working on fixing? What's stopping you? It's the exact same problem as Voxelus, and we all know how that went. Yes, people are being a pain, but banning us won't fix those issues. Was voxelus any better after we were all banned?

this forum is voxelus 2.0
Okay... Why don't you organise playing games then?

And the slow progress of the server is very easily explainable: It's not motivating to hunt blindly for bugs in the name of a community that seems to enjoy creating rage threads and not do anything about it. It's not very appealing to use our precious free time when people ignore your work and instead do "sofa protesting" about things they don't like on a forum with only a handful of users.
Which does relate to the line above. You want people to organise gaming nights? Great! If no one did that yet, why don't you post a new thread, gather some players and do this?
Not to mention personal issues. (speaking by myself, I wake up every single day at 5AM to go to work, and then go to school in the afternoon, when I return at 7PM. That literally gives me 3 hours of theoretically free time, if homework or any other issues are not counted. In the weekends, I help my father with his company and study more. I do get some Skype chatting time, but that's basically what free time I have)

TLL, instead of creating threads such as this, which only degrade the community's union, why not create an actual thread with specific description of the problems you see and possible solutions to them?
Come on, even I am arguing with people who otherwise were great and enthusiastic when everyone only used words with six or less characters in length? As far as I know, everyone is at least some level of friend with each other here, or at least accept other users' presence. So why not speak straight up, instead of creating pointless threads which do not pinpoint problems, but instead vaguely brush over heavily written whining?

The moment we have a thread with a decent amount of sureness, we can act. Even more so the moderation team. You said that it's annoying to you that some users are unfairly banned for a long time, that's great! Now suggest a course of action instead of trying to lay the blame on someone else. Talk with those users, gather their individual interests in returning and discuss a return condition? (It apparently worked very well with TTA, he's here and very active)

It's really saddening to see such kind of arguing here. Be to-the-point on the changes you want, instead of talking in circles, and do whatever you can to improve the situation. We are a small community, it's expectable to have every member contributing at least something to the group.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

I leave OMB for a week and what is this.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Miniike wrote:I leave OMB for a week and what is this.
Basically the same thing that happened a few months ago.

The cycle I tell you, the cycle.
papaya

Post by papaya »

kroltan wrote:blah
actually we have posted numerous threads proposing changes to omb, and a lot of the time they've been listened to (less aggressive moderation, an update to the rules, pigflag/forum game posts not being counted)

However, those are right now basically the equivalent of using bandaids on the hull of a sinking ship. The real issue is how dead Atmosphir is. Loads of people, not just the 'troll gang', have expressed an interest in trying to make Atmosphir more active. The problem is - How? I'm in no position to start advertising this game, and even the simple idea of getting more people to design levels hasn't quite worked. There's barely one level being uploaded per day, and hardly any of the active forum users are making levels. We need more people designing levels, but more importantly we need a functioning game. There hasn't been any progress on the important features still missing. Now, I'm no programmer, so that may be because it's super duper complex, but just some updates similar to 'hey we're actually working on this here's some in progress shots' would be nice.

also TLL never intended for this to be a new thread. This was intended to be a reply to Electro's thread in omb. We're responding to his whining, not starting our own whining.

fwiw TLL, TTA and Dv are all banned from OMB now.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

papaya wrote:However, those are right now basically the equivalent of using bandaids on the hull of a sinking ship.
You do realize that nobody here especially cares about the revival at the moment. We're all doing other things in our lives. We just like to share our experiences with other alumni here.

Now if and when we do fully revive the game, then we can focus on making the community a whole again.
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I mean there's not much to upload screenshots /of/, that's the problem with server development. The progress we make is gradual but in order to explain our progress you'd have to understand a lot of overly technical things, and it's just more trouble than its worth :/

And if we tried to give an estimated release date it'd be horribly inaccurate because with these things there's always a hundred different facets to the problem you didn't forsee (in addition to our schedules being unpredictable).

I just spent 4 hours playing TF2 though, so I can't really use that excuse. Starting tomorrow I'll be working on it for a fair period every day, and I'll do my best to keep everyone updated on the grand scheme of things.

Here's the current status of multi-player: I have a pretty good idea of how it's supposed to work now, but I haven't gotten it to work yet. It seems so ridiculously simple but there seems to be some final element that I'm missing. Of course, once I nail down the exact protocol and such, I'll have to implement it fully so it's secure and such.

But rest assured, progress /is/ being made :)
papaya

Post by papaya »

Gtarmetro wrote:You do realize that nobody here especially cares about the revival at the moment. We're all doing other things in our lives. We just like to share our experiences with other alumni here.

Now if and when we do fully revive the game, then we can focus on making the community a whole again.

but this is the same problem as voxelus. With it becoming apparent that there was no game, the forum was still used to talk to other people from the community.
eventually we all got a bit restless, people disagreed, people got banned, and then the whole thing died.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

papaya wrote:but this is the same problem as voxelus. With it becoming apparent that there was no game, the forum was still used to talk to other people from the community.
eventually we all got a bit restless, people disagreed, people got banned, and then the whole thing died.
A forum doesn't require a game, ours just has the privilege of have one to work with. And we are working with it; in the little free time we have to work, that is.

I think the whole reason a lot of us have argued over the past week or so is because of differing ideals. Some people want the game to be revived sooner than others. This community is comprised of optimists and pessimists, musicians and programmers, and everything in between. We need to learn to have an attitude to accept one another and such stop a lot of the arguments.

Personally, I think that the major point of complaint is the attitude of a few certain users in the past month or so. And even though I agree that a big cloud of negativity has been shrouded upon the forum through this drama, I don't believe it will destroy the community.

To those who are the cause of the complaints; try to be a little less sassy and rash to everyone. People are getting mixed signals from you guys and it's making everyone a little uncomfortable.
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
papaya

Post by papaya »

Gtarmetro wrote:A forum doesn't require a game, ours just has the privilege of have one to work with.

no, but it requires some sort of purpose or everyone will just leave
I can't think of a single forum that doesn't have a dedicated purpose or a large enough community to not need a single purpose
rest of your post isnt worth responding to
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

papaya wrote:no, but it requires some sort of purpose or everyone will just leave
I can't think of a single forum that doesn't have a dedicated purpose or a large enough community to not need a single purpose
rest of your post isnt worth responding to
Well we already have a purpose that isn't taken advantage of. We're all part of a video design field, whether that be music, programming, etc. We could just continue this layout with an heightened approach on video game design in general.
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

picture of papaya confirmed

Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I was not going to jump into this, but I just want to give my little opinion on one thing. I am very very thankful for all of the hard work that the developers have put in, it is a project of dedication, a hobby-side-thing on top of their life obligations and I am so appreciative for all of their hard work. I am very thankful for what you have provided us.

Also, just a small thing I thought might be worth stating - if you come into a discussion/debate with an unfaltering notion that your opinions are correct, then the purpose of the discussion is kind of rendered mute. If you are writing a persuasive paper maybe, but discussion kind of requires let on both sides. So essentially, to always be right, you need to be open to changing your opinions.
MONTEL

Post by MONTEL »

Phantomboy wrote:I was not going to jump into this, but I just want to give my little opinion on one thing. I am very very thankful for all of the hard work that the developers have put in, it is a project of dedication, a hobby-side-thing on top of their life obligations and I am so appreciative for all of their hard work.

Well said, friend.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:Basically the same thing that happened a few months ago.

The cycle I tell you, the cycle.
the menstrual cycle of odious moldy balls
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

I'm gonna go ahead and lock this now. The problem has been dealt with and there really isn't much more that needs to be said. PM me if there's a problem.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull: