The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Behaviour On The Internet And Whilst Gaming

Chat about anything
Phantomboy

Behaviour On The Internet And Whilst Gaming

Post by Phantomboy »

Firstly, I should state that PBS Game/Show is a channel I kind of have mixed feelings about. I have never strictly disliked an episode, but at times I feel they are a bit misguided or narrow-scoped. This video however, peaked my interest and I felt it was worth sharing with you peeps.
[media=youtube]6yvISdKG7Ng[/media]

If you know me, you can probably guess where I sit on this. I have some strong opinions regarding how gaming and by extent the internet generally treats people. However, what I think peaks me as interesting regarding this topic is the "Why?" aspect. Why when placed betweens screens do we have this sudden shift in treatment? Many state that it is for their own personal fun. Okay, but then we should ask, why is it fun to cause displeasure to others?

My personal explanation is this. Many of those who enjoy this sort of behaviour are between the ages of 8-25 and grew up, in part, around this type of exposure online. They find it funny because they are young, and others have displayed the humour in such actions.

I think, that could really easily lead into a discussion about humour on the internet, which is a topic I find quite interesting. Most of us, don't initially find these quirks funny - absurd at best, but not pure comedy. However, over the course of our internet childhood, we are taught through actions what is a current trend considered humours.

So, those are my thoughts. While I am sure some are comfortable how things are, I think it is always a good habit to evaluate a medium you enjoy to see why certain things that we have come to accept are continued.

Good day!