The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

What Would Be Some Reasons To Get The Original Xbox?

Everything video game related
tta

What Would Be Some Reasons To Get The Original Xbox?

Post by tta »

I already have every other home console from the sixth generation, I usually rely on the GameCube for 6th-gen multi-platform games (PS2 if it's not available for GC), but I LOVE platformers (even if they're not necessarily considered to be "good"), And I've heard of some Xbox-exclusive platformers, like Blinx, Blinx 2, Voodoo Vince, JSRF and Tork, and some games that are said to be better on the Xbox, like Prince of Persia: Sands of time. I've also seen some non-platformer Xbox exclusives that just look interesting, like Mad dash, Quantum Shift, and various mech battle games.

So, If anyone owns an Xbox it'd be cool if you could give your opinion on it, kthnxbai
Zetta

Post by Zetta »

Don't bother, I own an Xbox and frankly it sucks.

Pretty much half the games you can get on the Xbox you can also get on the PS2 or GC. The only upside to Xbox versions of a game is that they sometimes look better than the PS2/GC versions of the game. Even then you probably won't notice the difference. Silent Hill 2/3/4 for example, have better graphics on the Xbox, but I have played both versions of both games and I can't notice the difference.

As for Xbox exclusives, it's not enough really to go out and buy the console.
The only exclusive you mentioned that is actually worth playing and owning is Jet Set Radio Future (for the record I love this game. Love.). But one game is not enough to validate buying an entire outdated console. Maybe Sega will make an HD re-release of this game and then you can experience it in all of its orgas mic bliss.

Sadly, I would recommend just getting an emulator or something but there seems to be no working Xbox emulator (and there probably won't ever be).
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Zetta is correct.
I might not have a Xbox or PS2 (Nintendo fan boy. :P )
But honestly I've considered getting a Xbox and an outdated Halo that I can play on the 360 is about the only reason why you would get one. Great game but unless your getting that system at a killer price don't get one.
Newah

Post by Newah »

Well, Halo, the killer app for that system, is on the PC anyways. And most of the games on the Xbox were on Gamecube and PS2.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Newah wrote:Well, Halo, the killer app for that system, is on the PC anyways. And most of the games on the Xbox were on Gamecube and PS2.
True but nothing is better then playing a good game on the original system.
tta

Post by tta »

Semesto wrote: Great game but unless your getting that system at a killer price don't get one.
That's pretty much the case, because it's going on amazon used for 43 bucks so it's practically a steal. (I'd get it new, but 250$ is way too much to pay for a console from a decade ago.)

And on the topic of Halo, I'm not used to controlling an fps with a controller so I'd probably get it on pc.
tta

Post by tta »

Also fable what's the big deal about that
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

Isn't the Xbox 360 backwards compatible? Just buy that. Even if it's more expensive, it's a better investment overall.
Newah

Post by Newah »

tta wrote:That's pretty much the case, because it's going on amazon used for 43 bucks so it's practically a steal. (I'd get it new, but 250$ is way too much to pay for a console from a decade ago.)

And on the topic of Halo, I'm not used to controlling an fps with a controller so I'd probably get it on pc.
Oh, it's 250 new because it isn't being sold new anymore, therefore new consoles would be considered collectible.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

@tta im not sure I dislike Fable, just not into it.
tta

Post by tta »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Isn't the Xbox 360 backwards compatible? Just buy that. Even if it's more expensive, it's a better investment overall.
I already have a 360; two in fact. It's just that the Xbox 360 is only backwards compatible with 200-something select titles, so games like Voodoo Vince and Tork are unplayable.
Newah wrote:Oh, it's 250 new because it isn't being sold new anymore, therefore new consoles would be considered collectible.
Hm, I didn't really think about it like that, but that makes sense. It could be a reasonable investment for some people, but I'd rather get it 40-100 bucks used and spend another 10-30 dollars on what I need to restore it.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

I think that, at $43, it's a pretty good deal. There's clearly plenty of games for it that you want to play.