The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

The Video Game Review Thread

Everything video game related
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

StreetLights wrote:I think it's mainly because the fans are all idiots whom at the very mention of another FPS game go full rage mode on everyone.
Yeah, you're completely right on that. :P
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

And if I'm honest, Zombies is one of the most fun things in a video game. I bought black ops and ALL the DLC just for the zombies maps.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

FWEAKIN NATZEE ZOMBEHS!
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

StreetLights wrote:Legitimate arguments against:
First off, yes, it is milked to hell. Each game is the same as the last. Second, the storyline is boring as hell (I never go through campaign more than once). Third, the multiplayer is just bland and offers NOTHING ORIGINAL.

Lulz. I went to post this, but I guess I wasn't fast enough.

There is nothing anyone can say or do that will change my mind, Call of Duty is absolutely THE worst thing that has EVER happened to the video game industry.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Lulz. I went to post this, but I guess I wasn't fast enough.

There is nothing anyone can say or do that will change my mind, Call of Duty is absolutely THE worst thing that has EVER happened to the video game industry.
I BEG TO DIFFER
tta

Post by tta »

StreetLights wrote:Image
I BEG TO DIFFER
Atleast you didn't go the predictable route:

SANIC 06
ET FOR ATARI

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOlOLOOLOLOLOLOLOlOLOLOLLOLOOl
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I'm gonna leave my thoughts on a game I've been enjoying recently.
Spoiler

Real time strategy games have always required a lot of specific button inputs. For this reason, it is very widely believed that a mouse and keyboard is the best way to play one, since such a console controller can't compete with that kind of variety. The Pikmin series contains some of the only RTS games in existence that were specifically made for a console, but the controls still work well (which is impressive, since a computer has over 70 different input methods and a GameCube controller only has 11).

The original Pikmin was released as a launch title for the GameCube in 2001, and it's sequel, Pikmin 2, was released in 2004. Both games revolve around commanding an army of little plant-like creatures called Pikmin. The franchise was essentially nullified after that, but in 2013, the franchise made a shocking return with Pikmin 3 for the Nintendo Wii U. The game introduces three new protagonists--Alph, Brittany, and Charlie--who are on the Pikmin planet (named PNF-404) to gather food for their starving home planet, Koppai. Care to guess who they call on for help?

Compared to the first two games, the combat in Pikmin 3 is considerably better. The combat in the first two games basically begins and ends with "THROW PIKMIN LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW!!!", but Pikmin 3 forces you to be a lot more strategic than that. Some enemies have weaker points, whereas you need to take down one weak point to reach another in other cases. Needless to say, this makes enemies and bosses a lot more engaging.

Like I said, there are three playable characters--Alph, Brittany, and Charlie--and this is very useful for managing a lot of Pikmin and doing several different tasks at once. It really makes you think more about who you post where.

The Wii U GamePad controller is...I'm not gonna say indispensable, but very helpful, and if you opt to use another controller, you are putting yourself at a huuuuuuge disadvantage. It uses a map that is very helpful for supervising various groups of Pikmin that are out doing different tasks, and this makes the game that much more strategic.

Pikmin 1 was built around a 30-day time limit system, whereas Pikmin 2 didn't have a limit at all. Pikmin 3 blends these two time systems, and quite well. You do get an automatic game over if you are not fast enough about beating the game, but every time you collect a new fruit (which is your goal in the game), you get more juice, and this is your time limit. Every day, you drink (and therefore lose) one bottle of juice, and you need to be good about collecting as much fruit as possible so you don't run out. In this way, the game prevents you from having to go on a wild goose chase after getting far enough in, but also gives you incentive to not slack off.

Near the end of the game, there is a plot twist that is very poorly placed. At one point, Alph, Brittany, and Charlie rescue Louie (one of the two playable characters from Pikmin 2), who escapes with all their juice the following day. This means that you need to get more fruit. The problem is, this part takes place in an area where most of the remaining fruit is located underwater, and it is not until this happens that you meet the blue Pikmin, which are the only Pikmin who are capable from fishing things out from under the water (pardon the pun) and defeating underwater enemies. Needless to say, this is a bit of a frantic moment.

THE GAME IS TOO FREAKIN' SHORT!!!

I cannot recommend this game enough. If you have a Wii U and have few games for it, get Pikmin 3. It is, without a doubt, the Wii U's first truly amazing game.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Cleared up thread a bit, hopefully a little less cluttered with conversation :)
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:Cleared up thread a bit, hopefully a little less cluttered with conversation :)

A boy can dream...
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Amnesia: A machine for Pigs is an indirect sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Set in the same universe, the game takes place during 1899.
THE GOOD
The game never fails to keep you on the edge of your seat. The horror is well paced and does not go full on with intensity like other games such as SCP: Containment Breach. In fact, you don't even see the monster until at least 40 minutes into gameplay, and you don't properly encounter it until 70 minutes. The removal of certain elements such as the tinderbox allows for a completely different style of gameplay than the original. In this game, the light actually attracts the monsters, so you have to turn it off to stop them from finding you. On the topic of the monsters, the AI has been completely re-worked. Now, once an enemy starts to chase you, it doesn't stop until you clear the area. This provides a real sense of helplessness.

THE BAD
The removal of the sanity meter and inventory gives the game much less diversity (as the sanity meter was one of the most unique features of amnesia). Also, some areas are a little too well hidden, especially in the darkness of the game. In fact it took me nearly 10 minutes to find a passageway in a very small room. These, along with some minor personal preferences, are the only gripes I could find.

VERDICT
This game is one of the scariest ever made, if not the scariest. The small issues don't knock the game by any major amount at all. It's only £12 on steam, and it is well worth that £12.
It'll keep you terrified for the entire duration.