The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Miniike's Top 5 Musicals

Chat about anything
Miniike

Miniike's Top 5 Musicals

Post by Miniike »

As you know, I geek over musicals quite a bit. So I decided to indulge myself by listing my top 5, as well as my top 3 songs from each. Even if you're not into musicals, I'm sure you know some of these.

Just a note, none of the following will be included since I am not overly familiar with them:
Wicked
Grease
Hairspray
Book of Mormon
Avenue Q
EDIT: Have seen Grease now!

So, here are my top 5 musicals.

5. Jesus Christ Superstar
Although it was a hit when it came out, I find Jesus Christ Superstar extremely underrated today, mostly because it reeks 70s and deals with a religious subject. However, despite a complete lack of theological substance, JCS is a very fun musical with some interesting ideas, particularly the use of modern symbolism. As a sung-through musical, it usually demands an experienced cast, and there are many great versions and recordings.
It's not without problems, though: it seems to have a Doctor Who-esque fetish with repetitive phrases (I swear, if I hear "Everything's alright yes" or "What's the buzz?" one more time...) and some cast recordings, specifically Ted Neeley in the movie, are a bit lackluster. But overall, if you can get your hands on tickets or the movie, it's worth at least one watch.
TOP 3 SONGS
3. I Don't Know How to Love Him
The hit song from the musical, it's a bit overrated in my opinion, but works well in what it's trying to do. The lyrics don't get as silly as the rest of the musical, which lets you (for the most part) take it seriously, and of course the tune is memorable and quite pleasant.
2. Could We Start Again Please?
I honestly don't know why I love this one so much. It's short and sweet, and sticks in my head all the time. I don't even really know what to say about it.
1. Heaven on Their Minds
This is one of the single most underrated songs in musical history. It's a catchy tone-setter that is very fun to sing once learned, with an amazing guitar.

4. Rocky Horror
Yeah, you saw this coming.
Rocky Horror, in two words, is stupid and fun. It makes sure you never take it seriously, and actually indirectly mocks you if you do.It has one of the catchiest soundtracks ever (period) a massive cult following, great, ridiculous performances, and all in all is just good, campy, sexually overt fun.
3. Over at the Frankenstein Place
Extremely underrated song that actually has quite a bit of artistic merit too it, contrasting Brad and Janet's happiness with Riff Raff's more foreboding lyrics. Even better, it shoves Brad and Janet's innocence our faces even more, since they have no idea what kind of crap is about to go down.
2. Time Warp
Do I really have to say anything? It's freaking Time Warp! It's one of the catchiest tunes ever written, has a dance to go with it, is fun and stupid, and never, EVER gets old.
1. Science Fiction/Double Feature
Pure ear candy. I honestly have no idea how to put it. Listening to this song just puts me in a weird euphoric state...I honestly don't know why. I listen to it almost constantly...SOME ONE HELP ME.

3. The Phantom Of The Opera
I've been a fan of Phantom since I was a kid. My dad had an original cast recording CD he listened to all the time. That being said, this is one of my most nostalgia musicals. Besides that, Phantom is a pure spectacle with a great story and great songs. My only real problem with it is that there are some parts meant to be taken seriously that you really can't (*cough cough* the ending *cough cough*). I even kinda like the movie [FLAME SHIELD].
3. All I Ask of You
This is one of those scenes that's hard to take seriously, but the song remains pretty powerful, mostly due to the music that accompanies it. It's beautiful, memorable, and, for the most part, genuinely romantic.
2. Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
This song just really gets me. It has, without a doubt, the best lyrics of any song from Phantom, they capture grief so well and so powerfully...it just blows me away.
1. Music of the Night
My favorite song in any musical, ever. It seems cliche, but it's just so...mind boggling. That's honestly the best I can do to describe it. Beautiful is a MASSIVE understatement, powerful is a bit of an overstatement...it's just mind boggling in a slightly erotic way.

2. Les Miserables

This is a no brainer. While it has alot of problems that most people don't really seem to point out (The bland romance and lack of character development) but it still works amazingly well as a dramatic story. Aside from that, is has some of the most iconic songs in musical history, which is why I actually can't really nail down any favorites, except one.
1. One Day More
It's freaking one day more. It's a masterful summery of what all the characters are doing and seamlessly weaves all the best songs from the first act together. What more do you bloody need?

1. Little Shop of Horrors
This one is for you, Higelamp.

So yes, I couldn't resist, and honestly, if you've seen it, you probably won't argue with me, even if it's not your favorite. This is without a doubt one of the most balanced musicals ever created, knowing just how much of each element to include. It's filled with extremely funny exchanges between the memorable characters (especially in the stage version), some legitimate horror, and all around fun mild camp. Even some emotional moments are present (though how seriously you take them is usually subjective) and a hilariously ironic use of the Faust-type moral.
3. Suddenly Seymour
As seen with "All I Ask of You" romance is hard. Really hard.
NOT LIKE THAT YOU SICK F

But suprisingly, you can take this song much more seriously then the previously mentioned song from Phantom, a much more serious musical. And, of course, the tune is legendary.
2. Dentist!
Without a doubt the funniest song in the musical and absolute proof Orin would be the best role to play in a production. SO. MUCH. FUN.
1. Skid Row (Downtown)
In my opinion, the catchiest song in the musical, as well as one of the best tone setters in ANY musical. It seamlessly mixes humor and subtle somberness that the rest of the musical balances so well.

So that's my list, but don't act like you care.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I have heard of Wicked, Grease, Hairspray, Rocky Horror, Les Miserables and Phantom Of the Opera. I believe my sibling saw Grease in preformed in Seattle at one point, I've been to a High School performance of Wicked, I believe. However, yes I quite like musicals as well, I also think stage performance has a nice way of presenting information, much like books and I would argue better than film.
Rabbidfan236
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Why is OneMoreBlock: The Musical not on that list?

Oh that's right, IT HASN'T BEEN CREATED YET.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

So do it.
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Miniike wrote:So do it.
What, by myself?

Okay, I'll just load up my memory of the complete history of the community of which I've been gone from for a few years, write a collection of songs including lyrics and scores about some drama I wasn't involved in or thread I'm not up to date with, and then have my private orchestra perform it and post it to YouTube.

Expect a link in a few hours.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:What, by myself?

Okay, I'll just load up my memory of the complete history of the community of which I've been gone from for a few years, write a collection of songs including lyrics and scores about some drama I wasn't involved in or thread I'm not up to date with, and then have my private orchestra perform it and post it to YouTube.

Can't wait!

Nah, but in all truthfulness the best way to go about it might be to create a thread, some concept documents and we would start slowly piecing together a plot. Once written, then directions to take musical lyrics would become more apparent. I am uneducated in both musical composition and pacing a proper performance making my usefulness pretty mute - but I can do audio work and, perhaps, sing a bit if that is of any help :P
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Phantomboy wrote: the best way to go about it might be to create a thread,
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

[quote="Rabbidfan236"][/quote]
Dang, you're on the ball today!
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Little shop has to be my favourite as well. However I wish they'd have kept the original ending in the film.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

StreetLights wrote:Little shop has to be my favourite as well. However I wish they'd have kept the original ending in the film.
The Director's Cut on Bluray has the original ending restored in color, just in case you didn't know.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

:OOOOOOOO
Dear santa...
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Ikr.

Finale Ultimo is extended instrumentally and kind of drags on, but it's worth it for the original, far better ending (especially the Somewhere That's Green reprise).
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Oh god that song.
My mind goes STRAIGHT back to that family guy episode ._.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Well, that kinda ruins it.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Yeah, especially since Family guy isn't my kind of humor.
I'm also getting pretty annoyed at my FB feed being flooded with "RIP Brian"... HE'S A CARTOON FLIPPING DOG GET OVER IT!
Wait...
Cartoon dog dying...
D;
*Cries in corner*
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Crap.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I should watch Wolf's Rain again.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Yes... Yes you should.
Gtarmetro

Post by Gtarmetro »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:What, by myself?

I'll help!
Backing Keyboardist, Rhythm Guitar, and Harmony for Zach Seabaugh Band
Private Contractor @ Concert Music in Murfreesboro, TN
Desk Assistant @ MTSU
//Just trying to make a living doing what I love
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

We need lyrics before we can really write the score...