The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Calling All Latin Scholars

Chat about anything
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Calling All Latin Scholars

Post by Lemon »

As a (self-proclaimed) academic, I am constantly attempting to expand my knowledge. I go through these months-long strains of learning things, and trying to solve problems and puzzles that exist in the world. By far the biggest issue I have, is that I don't know Latin. At all. And I have come across a phrase that I assume to be Latin. I need to know absolutely everything I can about this phrase. Unfortunately, I usually hire a translator or historian to do this kind of stuff, but my usual guy is away on business and cannot be contacted. Google translate and other sites tend to translate Latin to English gibberish.

So basically, I would like to know as much about the following saying as possible, from its literal meaning, contextual meaning, author, source, etc.

"Ut tecum loquerer, simulque ut essem".

I am fairly certain that this is the phrase. So, if anyone knows Latin, it would be immensely helpful if you could shine some light on this for me.

EDIT: Also, I am aware that this is a very random thing to post on a video game forum. But I have my reasons. ;)
MasterJBW

Post by MasterJBW »

The 'loquerer' may be somehow related to language or speaker.

I can't figure out the rest of it- I've only just started taking Latin 1.
turkeylurkey

Post by turkeylurkey »

It means "So that I could see and talk with you again," a line from a poem by Gaius Valerius Catullus.
Trust me, I take AP google.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

turkeylurkey wrote:It means "So that I could see and talk with you again," a line from a poem by Gaius Valerius Catullus.
Very good!
Lemon
Editorial Staff

Post by Lemon »

turkeylurkey wrote:It means "So that I could see and talk with you again," a line from a poem by Gaius Valerius Catullus.
The only reason I wanted to ask a person, and not just google it, is because Latin works weird like that sometimes, and words can mean different things in different contexts and stuff. Thank you though, I will research Catullus.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Man that's a hard class. You must be really smart to get in it. whats your GPA?