The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

How Do You Define "jumping The Shark"?

Chat about anything
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

How Do You Define "jumping The Shark"?

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I ask out of curiosity. To you, what constitutes "jumping the shark"?
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

I think it goes something along the lines of this.

papaya

Post by papaya »

when a show or similar thing runs out of ideas so it does something stupid or out-of-character
the jumping the shark comes from happy days but im sure nobody here has watched that (i haven't) so a better example would be spongebob before and after the movie. Nobody thinks new spongebob is better than the old one, right? It focuses a lot more on gross-out humour and the characters have devolved massively. The movie was the point where they jumped the shark, kinda
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
jhjoseph91
Location: .LOC FILE CORRUPT. SCANNING C:\LOCATION\ FOR REPLACEMENT...

Post by jhjoseph91 »

also I define it as a show or series (should be) ending point
i'm from another dimension!
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

papaya wrote:when a show or similar thing runs out of ideas so it does something stupid or out-of-character
Add "and it's handled poorly" to this and you've got my definition in a nutshell.

I can buy into a big change within a show if it's handled properly. I could forgive Spongebob for going the gross-out route if the show were good at gross-out humor, but it's... not. This is why I tend to be more forgiving than most about changes within The Big Bang Theory in recent years, because while that show is a lot different now than it was when it first premiered, its identity as a sitcom about a group of scientists has for the most part stayed intact.

This is also why I have a great deal of respect for short-running shows. I find it admirable that short runners chose to just not even risk overstaying their welcome (TAKE. NOTES. EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKING. ONE OF YOU!!!)
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.