The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Next School Year

Chat about anything
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Next School Year

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Two months from now, I'll be starting my senior year of high school. Bet you think I'm excited about that, right?

You guys never fail to amuse me.

OK, but seriously, I'd like to first shoo the elephant out of the room. I know very well that there's still a lot of time left before next school year is actually upon me. But that doesn't change anything I'm about to say.

I'm DREADING next school year. No, seriously, I am. I can sum up the reason why in one word, end. And no, I'm not talking about the end of mandatory schooling, I'm talking about the end of... well, pretty much everything associated with mandatory schooling. Sounds weird, I know, but stick with me here. I am absolutely terrified to leave behind the life I'm living right now. I'm terrified to go out into the world and fend for myself, terrified to drift apart from my friends here in Missouri, and just... not looking forward to finishing high school at all.

I'm not really even sure what I'm asking for with this thread, I just kind of felt like I wanted to get this off my chest. If you have anything to say about anything I've said here, feel free to share.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
papaya

Post by papaya »

our high school thing is a little different over here so that basically 'high school' ends at grade 10 (year 11) and we spend our junior and senior years in a different school, a sixth-form college.

tbh I felt this way about leaving high school but absolutely not about leaving this college. I'm really looking forward to going off to uni, exactly because it means I get to fend for myself and leave my home behind

in fact, I've already left. I've got four more exams there (no lessons, only have to show up just before each exam) and then I never need to step foot in the building again (except to pick up my certificates). It's very exciting.

and trust me, any good friends you have will stay in contact with you. We live in the age of the internet, it's super duper easy to stay in touch with anyone.
RetroBandit
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by RetroBandit »

In school. 1/8 of it is doing what you enjoy. If you can get a good job in your desired field. 6/8 of it you will probably enjoy. There is some things I dread when I turn 18 but having a more consistent romantic relationship, and making your own money if you play it smart can leave you with tons of cash to invest for you future kids or to buy a bigger house so you can finally install that vr system you have been craving.

One thing to remember though is that play, even for adults if healthy for you, and parents who play video or board games on a consistent bases either with there kids or there spouse, are way cooler in today's society compared to the all work, facebook checking parents, who sleep all day after a constant work week.(10 hours is all you need, no matter how much you are deprived of sleep.)

Don't give up video games because your growing up, they have evolved into something all ages can enjoy. Just look at minecraft for example. I guess the point of this little rant is that don't be afraid of growing up, as long as you can keep doing the things you enjoy once in a while.

EDIT By StreetLights - Formatting.
I think I am flying?
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Thanks guys. I'm still not thrilled to be graduating next spring, but after reading these two posts I'm feeling a lot better about it.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.