The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Rememeber When I Made That Thread About The Peanuts Movie

Chat about anything
Miniike

Rememeber When I Made That Thread About The Peanuts Movie

Post by Miniike »

Well, back then I was coasting only on the name of the horrible studio that's making it, as we only had a quaint little trailer that was actually mildly promising.

I started to warm up to this movie for a while. The Schulz family is still alive and active, so there's a bit of incentive for the tepid uninspired sweatshop that is Blue Sky Studios to not give Charles Schulz the same treatment they gave Doctor Suess.

Then this thing happened.
[media=youtube]El7chqzwKlo[/media]
-Fast cut, music-temporarily-stops-to-emphasize-the-gag slapstick
-Generic inspirational soundtrack
-Humorous use of hip-hop song
-Listing character names so everyone knows how much you paid for the rights
-Name drop the original creator too
-Recall running gags from the strip so everyone knows it's a Peanuts movie
-Dramatic narrator refers to it as an "incredible story"
-LITTLE RED HAIRED GIRL ORGIN STORY ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?
Thanks, Blue Sky. You applied all the worst aspects of modern marketing to your trailer, like how you apply all the worst aspects of a focus-group cash grab into your trite. You have potentially managed to ruin that OTHER thing that thought me how to read. Take down Calvin and Hobbes and the cycle will be complete.

Oh yeah, the animation looks great. Robots and Epic also looked great. And by the looks of the "plot" they've conjured up for this tank of marketing hippo jizz, they've shoved the source material into the most closely related stock plot. I can't wait for the celebrity cameos and LOLRANDUM humor when the actual thing comes out.

Maybe this is all a waste of time, but I'm just depressed right now. I need something to whine to.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Entity
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by Entity »

So you're saying it bothers you that it's too mainstream

good grief
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Honestly, besides listing the character names (If the final product has that, it'll probably get annoying very quickly), I don't find any of this to be THAT big of a deal. I'm still torn about whether I'm interested in seeing it or not, but I'm not a big fan of the whole "Make it exactly like the source material" mentality.

Because let's face it: If there's no differences at all between the source material and the movie, there's really no point in seeing it.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Entity wrote:So you're saying it bothers you that it's too mainstream
Okay, this made me laugh, good on you.
ElectroYoshi wrote:Because let's face it: If there's no differences at all between the source material and the movie, there's really no point in seeing it.
Agreed. In fact, I'm almost more terrified of the possibility that it will not only be another paint-by-numbers Blue Sky movie, but an unoffensively bad, unremarkable, unmemorable one.

I mean, what they did to Doctor Suess was inexcusably bad, but at least it was interesting failure, something you could discuss. The more I look at this trailer, the more it seems like a feature-length-worse-written-better-animated version of the TV specials. I don't know which would make me more mad.

Unless, of course, Blue Sky took the third option, which would be to make a good movie.
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Yeah, I'm more of an emotional movie watcher so even something with a terrible plot can still be a great movie to me if the characters are lovable. And I'm not really a huge peanuts fan either, so I guess I'm not really worried about them ruining it.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Entity wrote:Yeah, I'm more of an emotional movie watcher so even something with a terrible plot can still be a great movie to me if the characters are lovable. And I'm not really a huge peanuts fan either, so I guess I'm not really worried about them ruining it.
How exactly does a movie have emotional impact if it doesn't have an effective plot?

I do KINDA get what you mean though, I'm more a characters-and-world man then a plot man.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Well, at the very least, it's borderline impossible to disrespect source material as much as these dudes did with The Lorax. Seriously, as much as I agree that Blue Sky is BS (Har de har), topping that would take more effort than making a good movie would.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Bad At Gravity
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Bad At Gravity »

░█▀▀█ ─█▀▀█ ░█──░█ ░█▀▀█───
░█▄▄▀ ░█▄▄█ ░█░█░█ ░█▄▄▀───
░█─░█ ░█─░█ ░█▄▀▄█ ░█─░█───
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Miniike wrote:How exactly does a movie have emotional impact if it doesn't have an effective plot?

I do KINDA get what you mean though, I'm more a characters-and-world man then a plot man.
Well if it's awful it's just awful. I guess maybe "plot" isn't the right word, writing likable characters isn't an easy thing to do. I guess I'm just a sucker and I enjoy paint-by-numbers Blue Sky/Dreamworks/etc.. movies...
Miniike

Re: Rememeber When I Made That Thread About The Peanuts Movie

Post by Miniike »

people ended up liking this movie

i didn't see it
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

also the "generic inspirational soundtrack" was BABA O RILEY

oh honey
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I saw it and enjoyed it immensely. I can now name THREE* Blue Sky movies that I actually like!! :D

*In case you're wondering, the other two are the first two Ice Age movies. Just the first two though. Screw the ones after that.