The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

The Voxelus Problem

Chat about anything
matthewbny
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Re: The Voxelus Problem

Post by matthewbny »

Hello everyone shitposting on this thread, I would just like to inform you that the impossible has happened: Voxelus has been updated. I checked up on it yesterday, and I snooped around the forums to check out my obituary thread (not even sure why I posted it it wasn't even funny).

http://forum.voxelus.com/index.php?thre ... uilds.122/

The update is pretty dynamic. Sure, bugs still persist but here are the three major improvements:

More fluid controls in the Viewer
Ability to playtest the level
Multiplayer (not sure if it's fully functional but there's a lot of dev maps for MP)

No one is on Voxelus, and it's not hard to see why. It's full of a bunch of bugs and all, and I'm still seeing some of them, but this proves that the Voxelus development team is serious about what they're trying to get done. Aside from all the minor bugs in the way, the game seems to be pulling together greatly. Even if you're on the Voxelus hatetrain (I was before this) I encourage you to try the new version.

Also, multiplayer ;)
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

1- Multiplayer doesnt work
2- controls are still arse
3- In the designer, clicks dont register properly

Still unplayable
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

this is a steam greenlight trailer for voxelus

and it looks like the way of the future
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Voxelus feels like an early access title.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

ThatOneFox wrote:Voxelus feels like an early access title.
and the award for most observant person goes to
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

Rattle wrote:>yfw atmosphir will be a decade old in 2 years

So is Stratosphir becoming a decade old in 4 years.
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

We need a final solution to the voxelus question amirite guys
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

its over

that's the solution
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

At the stage it's at right now, there's not much discussion to be made. I believe they rushed to put it out so because of that, we should just give it some time to catch up to where it should have been on release...
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

The game is basically stillborn. No one is on the forum or using the software. I think we should just live out it's demise in peace.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

It's like the latest build release may be ahead of time but its not there...
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Responding to martin's update thread on here because if i do it on there i'll get banned.
The good thing about being an entrepreneur is that you get the opportunity to fail often and learn from those failures and mistakes.
Well they obviously havent.
When I think back to Atmosphir, I can’t help to think that we had something fantastic going on. Aside from the many external things that happened, we did make a few mistakes. These are an invaluable source of learning for the future. Specifically, Voxelus
The main error was letting halsey take creative control
For a development team, it’s really easy to focus on new features. In fact, thinking about new features with the team is always energetic and positive. However, the problem comes when you start to feature creep and end up developing features, and putting them into production without first making sure you have a simple, fun and robust product/game.
If only they had stuck to this when first developing voxelus and the community might still be alive now, instead they have a broken product and an inactive community because no-one wants to use their software.
With Voxelus we are taking a more mature and professional approach. Right now, we are working on fixing bugs, and polishing the overall experience for our users. We’re making sure that what we have at the moment works as expected on VR devices.
They should have fixed the most glaring ones before putting it out. The game still doesnt register clicks properly, and the viewer just isnt fun to use. There are no objectives apart from reach the end. You can design non-realistic environments to wonder through and thats about it.
Our main focus is VR. And while we do support playing on computers, VR is what Voxelus is all about. We need to always remind ourselves of this, because it’s so simple to start thinking about new platforms and making the mistake of focusing on too many platforms at once. Which makes things difficult for our small team.
If they are worried about multiple platforms, then why even bother developing for VR, there are going to be tons of options, and limiting them off will make customers disappointed.
Right now, VR has one major problem. Input. It’s either hard to do things in VR with just a touch pad and looking around with your head movement, or you have to use a gamepad which is NOT designed for VR, AND not a lot of people have it. If you require a gamepad you are also making the entry barrier higher and higher. Owning a powerful phone + a VR HMD or a Rift + a powerful gaming PC is high enough/
Quote from entity: "you can literally buy gamepads for $20 on amazon I don't see how that's a bigger barrier than a $1000 setup"
Knowing this current constraint is actually a good thing if we think outside of the box.
This is coming from a company who's latest project is literally just their last one, only with VR shoehorned in.
It gave us more time to work on polishing the core building mechanics and experience mechanics
hahahaha good joke.
User feedback is of the utmost importance for us.
User feedback is so important that when people give it, they are asked to leave the forum for their negative attitude. Also note that the forum has been hidden.

This whole thing just screams "Steam Early Access title"
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

so wait is hasley still satan or did we overreact
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Halsey was still a mistake.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

okay good

my 12-year-old self's rage at that terrible businessman who killed my beloved atmosphir was semi-justifiable
OkaySandwich

Post by OkaySandwich »

God damn, I don't log in for like a month, and Halsey Minor has managed to fuck something up.
Doctor Pie

Post by Doctor Pie »

When will people learn?
(Can someone be arrested for saying a product will work great, but then after taking hundreds of dollars from investors, it's released and it's the worst idea on the planet? I hope so.)
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

*Facepalm* How is Halsey even still employed? I literally cannot think of an answer to that that makes any logical sense...
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I remember that I, honestly, kind of made a few people mad at me back in the old Atmosphir days for not jumping on this whole, "Halsey is the worst, he ruined my childhood game..etc" Because, well firstly, I get where this resentment comes from, basically for the common person, he is the only person we can really pin mistakes onto.

Although, that is just it, we don't know who else was responsible, or how circumstance played into this or anything... I am, leery to condemn or even meme-ify condemning the actions of a person whom we've never met, have only experienced his presence second hand and have literally no way to determine what is the fault of him and what isn't. While I can imagine someone's response is, "Well. Both Atmosphir and Voxelus failed under him." Okay, but remember that the structural and corporate downfall of each was pretty much in shadow to us, so any conclusions on our part is just speculation.

To each their own, I just can't really be behind sort of half-heartedly casting insults towards a person I have literally no personal experience with.
Doctor Pie

Post by Doctor Pie »

Well the whole problem started when Halsey became the head of the project, so of course we assume it was him.