The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

The Voxelus Problem

Chat about anything
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

The Voxelus Problem

Post by ThatOneFox »

So, Voxelus' "beta" build has been available for a while now, and not much progress has been made whatsoever regarding the actual creator or content.

Meanwhile, the team is setting up their own cryptocurrency for microtransactions, which cost 10,000% more for public investors over private investors, for a game that isn't anywhere near finished yet. Personally, I feel that really they should have kept on with internal development and testing for at least another 6 months, as at the moment the creator is glitchy, and has a very un-intuitive UI in comparison to its predecessor.

Also, there have been numerous spambots on the forum whose threads have been around for weeks and have only just been removed today.

So yeah, tl;dr I think they made a bad decision uploading a public build when they did, and they should be focusing less on the microtransactions and instead focus on developing the software.

Discuss.

EDIT:
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
DID THEY HIRE EA'S CEO FOR THIS OR WHAT
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

can't wait for the jimqusition episode
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
papaya

Post by papaya »

[media=youtube]Ns7otcjQ_jk[/media]
papaya

Post by papaya »

its kinda impressive how shady the whole thing is
a cryptocurrency build on top of a game? or is it a game built on top of a cryptocurrency?

whats even more impressive is that voxelus v2 has done almost literally the exact same thing voxelus v1 did but in a much smaller timeframe:

game announced
adz becomes head mod
community ignites
super early dev build released
its shit
community loses all hope
at some point nepotism has caused all the old atmosphir mods to be given back their roles (please stop giving reap positions of power just because she got boob)
i get banned
community dies because i was the only thing keeping it alive
spambots
minor studios silently disappears
(probably) later find out it was all a ruse
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

don't forget rinse and repeat
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

It's sort of been irking me that this community doesn't really have a clear focus anymore other than "a few people who make puns and reply with random one-liners from time to time."

Voxelus seems like a tempting choice for that focus, especially because of its nostalgic relation to Atmosphir, but to be honest, it never really seemed that promising to me. At this point I don't really know what to do.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:"a few people who make puns and reply with random one-liners from time to time."
New slogan confirmed
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Rabbidfan236 wrote: At this point I don't really know what to do.
Well i've suggested re-purposing this site numerous times but nothing ever gets done
papaya

Post by papaya »

we're a drop of piss in a piss ocean at this point
repurpose it however you want, its not gonna get any more active

as i've said before, the only selling point we have is a working version of atmosphir, and y'all think that ain't good enough (and I guess it really isnt)

just join in with the jokes until we all stop coming here eventauuly
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

guys you ruined my r/funny site

stahp being serious, this community is never going to grow, nor is voxelus going to take off

the only reason for this community to continue existing is as a giant middle finger to reason, humor and practicality, which is good enough to keep me posting but not to convince anyone to actually join us

there is no room for optimism here, just a slow and intermittently amusing death
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I definitely have to agree with Street. Not just that, but the entire site seems like it was put together one night, sloppily. It doesn't really seem professional at all, like they haven't learned from their past experiences. I mean, old vox was probably handled a bit better than this at its start.

I personally don't really know why 200 people have already purchased voxels (~$437,211.63USD worth, according to the site) for something that a) isn't proven will work at all, and b) you don't know the level of adoption it'll get / don't know if valuable content is actually going to be uploaded to the marketplace.

Also agree on uploading public builds this early on, and offering it so easily through a link on the site, which by the way doesn't even say that it's not the final version.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I was excited at first, but now the whole thing has me really miffed quite frankly. They're taking the exact same approach they took in 2012, and we ALL know how that went. It's stupid to do the exact same thing and expecting a different outcome. That's like having a bridge collapse, rebuilding it without any additional reinforcement, and expecting it to not collapse again.

What I'm observing is that there's some serious idealism on MiSt's end. They're trying to get this done as fast as they can to avoid the roadblocks that come with software development. In other words, they want the good without the bad. AND YOU CANT HAVE THAT. It doesn't matter how much you plan these things, or how far in advance. There are going to be complications that you weren't prepared for. Am I saying it's impossible to get around those? No, that'd be stupid. What I'm saying is that if you try to make something work without any complication at all, you're almost invariably going to fail. Why MiSt thinks they're the exception and not the rule, I have no idea.

I haven't really been on Voxelus lately, mostly because of the stuff I just mentioned, so it's possible that I'm getting the wrong impression. I know that plenty of successful games have gotten off to similarly rocky starts, so if Voxelus does manage to take off, someone be so kind as to let me know.

But I don't think it will.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Well i've spoken to adz and apparently the devs also felt it wasnt finished enough, but halsey pushed it out.

tl;dr halsey done fukt it again
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

StreetLights wrote:Well i've spoken to adz and apparently the devs also felt it wasnt finished enough, but halsey pushed it out.

remember when halsey was satan

that was great
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

StreetLights wrote:Well i've spoken to adz and apparently the devs also felt it wasnt finished enough, but halsey pushed it out.

Of course. Halsey needs to be fired...
papaya

Post by papaya »

how can u fire the guy funding it all

also i mean its not deep enough to write 3 paragraphs over
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

bionicnacho wrote:I personally don't really know why 200 people have already purchased voxels (~$437,211.63USD worth, according to the site) for something that a) isn't proven will work at all, and b) you don't know the level of adoption it'll get / don't know if valuable content is actually going to be uploaded to the marketplace.
It sounds like they were also going for private investors. On average each person must have paid $2000, and to corporations that's pocket change.

Also I don't know if blaming MiSt is fair. I think they're good developers and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they probably know how to make a good game. When you only have one investor... that's basically a monarchy.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Counted 4 spambots today.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

StreetLights wrote:Counted 4 spambots today.
this is SL's life everyone
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

StreetLights wrote:Counted 4 spambots today.
I got on earlier and there were 12 spambots. Not sure whether any of them posted anything though.