The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Music Thread 2: Sharing is Caring edition

Chat about anything
Rattle

Music Thread 2: Sharing is Caring edition

Post by Rattle »

I made a new one because the old one was old and plagued by bad taste and dead image links

Post your favorite albums, get criticized, get recommended stuff, recommend stuff, etc.

My personal top 7 of all time:
  1. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
  2. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
  3. Hum - You'd Prefer an Astronaut
  4. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
  5. Team Sleep - [Self-Titled]
  6. Hum - Electra 2000
  7. Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica

Genres that I want to get more into:
  • Piano Ambient (more like Brian Eno's "Ambient 1", Brian Eno/Harold Budd's "Ambient 2")
  • Electronic Ambient (more like Aphex Twin's "Selected Ambient Works 85-92", Brian Eno's "Ambient 4")
  • Chillwave
  • Fusion Jazz (more like Christian Scott, Jimmy Chamberlin Complex)
  • Shoegaze (more like My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless")
  • Post-Rock (more like Bark Psychosis)
  • Psychedelic Rock
  • Art Rock
  • 2000's Indie Rock
(help me pls)
Last edited by Rattle on January 5th, 2016, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Re: Music Thread 2: Sharing is Caring edition

Post by ThatOneFox »

If you want some ambient eletronic, have a listen to some stuff by The Orb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexS5hBB1C0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nL1-jnCkfw
(same track, 2 different versions)
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

StreetLights wrote:If you want some ambient eletronic, have a listen to some stuff by The Orb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexS5hBB1C0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nL1-jnCkfw
(same track, 2 different versions)
ty. First version didn't do much for me but the second version sounds much more cozy imo. will rec later
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

I've only recently gotten into the whole "music" thing, so the last time there was one of these threads I mostly trumpeted my "ha ha I only listen to soundtracks and musicals look at me" thing. I ended up getting a few underwhelming albums by underwhelming artists (hi Imagine Dragons) on a whim and really enjoying them, but the big breakthrough was of course The Beatles Red Album, which I got for my last birthday and opened me up to all sorts of things. I even started writing private reviews in an effort to motivate myself to listen to more stuff. I recently posted these on tumblr, so if you want to read me ramble about music here you go.

I'm not very knowledgeable about pretty much any of these genres, but I assume if you want to get into psychedelic rock you've already tried Pink Floyd. If not, try Pink Floyd. They got decidedly less psychedelic in the later years, but Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle and a little underground indie album called Dark Side of the Moon are all essential psychedelic listening. In contrast to Floyd's "dark psychedelia", there was also Cream's "light psychedelia", with Disraeli Gears being a full on classic at this point. Other important groups, like The Doors and 13th Floor Elevators I haven't tried out yet.

As for myself, I'm currently familiarizing myself with the catalogs of Pink Floyd and The Beatles, with a bit of Rush and Arcade Fire when I feel like some fun and some feels respectively. I'm still a stupid noob though.

Also, come on honey, what happened to your Red Hot Chili Pepper fanboying?
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Rattle wrote:
ty. First version didn't do much for me but the second version sounds much more cozy imo. will rec later
Yeah, i think the second version is better as well. The choir effects that happen every now and then are the best bit.
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

Miniike wrote:I'm not very knowledgeable about pretty much any of these genres, but I assume if you want to get into psychedelic rock you've already tried Pink Floyd. If not, try Pink Floyd. They got decidedly less psychedelic in the later years, but Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle and a little underground indie album called Dark Side of the Moon are all essential psychedelic listening. In contrast to Floyd's "dark psychedelia", there was also Cream's "light psychedelia", with Disraeli Gears being a full on classic at this point. Other important groups, like The Doors and 13th Floor Elevators I haven't tried out yet.

As for myself, I'm currently familiarizing myself with the catalogs of Pink Floyd and The Beatles, with a bit of Rush and Arcade Fire when I feel like some fun and some feels respectively. I'm still a stupid noob though.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with the go-to's of classic rock (Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc.), but I really do need to get around to it. Pretty much all I know of is 90's alternative rock and I could write a whole fucking book about that, hence why I'm trying to expand my tastes. As long as we're talking about Rock Essentials, the first album in my top 7 is a M U S T - L I S T E N.

Also, if you're into Arcade Fire (i'm not -that- familiar with them either, i've just heard a few of their songs and know they're an indie rock band), then try Modest Mouse. Considering you seem like kind of a turbopleb (in a good way) I would recommend you go to We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank to get you started, but let it be known that it's EASILY not their best work, so if you like it/like it but feel like there's something missing, try The Moon and Antarctica.

my RHCP fanboying has pretty much ceased however I still hold some of their music dearly (a lot of it actually), but nowadays a lot of their discog falls under "guilty pleasure" for me, rather than "this is genuinely great music that I am comfortable with saying that I like". regardless, Blood Sugar Sex Magik will always remain a superb album.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Rattle wrote:
Miniike wrote:I'm not very knowledgeable about pretty much any of these genres, but I assume if you want to get into psychedelic rock you've already tried Pink Floyd. If not, try Pink Floyd. They got decidedly less psychedelic in the later years, but Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle and a little underground indie album called Dark Side of the Moon are all essential psychedelic listening. In contrast to Floyd's "dark psychedelia", there was also Cream's "light psychedelia", with Disraeli Gears being a full on classic at this point. Other important groups, like The Doors and 13th Floor Elevators I haven't tried out yet.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with the go-to's of classic rock (Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc.), but I really do need to get around to it. Pretty much all I know of is 90's alternative rock and I could write a whole fucking book about that, hence why I'm trying to expand my tastes. As long as we're talking about Rock Essentials, the first album in my top 7 is a M U S T - L I S T E N.

Also, if you're into Arcade Fire (i'm not -that- familiar with them either, i've just heard a few of their songs and know they're an indie rock band), then try Modest Mouse. Considering you seem like kind of a turbopleb (in a good way) I would recommend you go to We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank to get you started, but let it be known that it's EASILY not their best work, so if you like it/like it but feel like there's something missing, try The Moon and Antarctica.

my RHCP fanboying has pretty much ceased however I still hold some of their music dearly (a lot of it actually), but nowadays a lot of their discog falls under "guilty pleasure" for me, rather than "this is genuinely great music that I am comfortable with saying that I like". regardless, Blood Sugar Sex Magik will always remain a superb album.
Haha, I am a superpleb, and will be until I'm knowledgeable enough about pleb music to move on to hipster music. I also have not gotten around to The Rolling Stones, The Who or even Bob Dylan...woe is me.

I've heard good things about Modest Mouse, but never tried it. I guess I'll get on that.

Siamese Dream and Smashing Pumpkins in general is also something that's piqued my interest. I think I listened to some of Gish at one point, and of course Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is basically a classic at this point. Never looked further in.

I can't vouch for the Rolling Stones (yet) but The Beatles have The Red Album (1962-1996) and The Blue Album (1967-1970), which are pretty much the best gateway drugs a band could ask for: it's a compilation of both singles and album tracks meant to show their progression, and they're more nuanced and complete then any greatest hits album I've ever heard. And of course they're well worth exploring album-wise. If you're impatient and want to get straight to the masterpiece era, then Rubber Soul was pretty much the transitioning point and Revolver was where they first planted their boots in the experimental-critics-favorite era (just don't take "experimental" as a golden rule; Sergeant Pepper is amazing, but it's pretty much just a bunch of pretty pop songs). But if you're willing to accept that lovey-dovey 60s boy band lyrics can be accompanied by great music, then you can just start at the beginning with Please Please Me, though their "silly pop masterpiece" is definitely A Hard Day's Night.

Pink Floyd is...a bit trickier, mostly because they've got a fascinating-but-convoluted history. Their debut, Piper At The Gates of Dawn, is usually considered a psychedelic masterpiece. At that point the frontman was Syd Barrett, a crazy weird and awesome guy who had an affinity for science fiction, fairy tales, and LSD. Basically all this is exemplified in Piper. Then Syd's health wasted away due to LSD and he quit the band to set out on a short-lived solo career. Roger Waters took over, and then Floyd became more of a progressive rock band (Atom Heart Mother,Meddle) until Dark Side of the Moon came along, at which point they basically became their own genre. After a few more albums, Roger quit and David Gilmour took over to produce a variety of underwhelming throwbacks until they finally signed of with the mediocre Endless River.

So basically there's five Floyds: psychedelic Syd Barrett Floyd (which only lasted for Piper and somewhat in Saucerful of Secrets), progressive Roger Waters Floyd (Ummagumma through Meddle), wacko-philosophy-memorial-rock-opera Roger Waters Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon through The Final Cut) and hey-guys-remember-when-we-made-good-music David Gilmour Floyd (A Momentary Lapse of Reason through The Endless River). So when someone is like "Hey, you should listen to Pink Floyd", it's just kind of stupid.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your book on 90s alternative.
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I doubt any of you need to be reminded of my Matchbox Twenty/U2 fanboyism, so I'm not even gonna bother getting into that here. :P

On that note I've been really into Shinedown and Saint Asonia lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtxhlDzBOXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTteaYXiUU

So yeah, my musical tastes haven't changed a whole heck of a lot since that last thread.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

And now for something completely different
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKebt2QxSBQ
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I doubt any of you need to be reminded of my Matchbox Twenty/U2 fanboyism, so I'm not even gonna bother getting into that here. :P

On that note I've been really into Shinedown and Saint Asonia lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtxhlDzBOXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTteaYXiUU

So yeah, my musical tastes haven't changed a whole heck of a lot since that last thread.
I recommend:

Blind Melon - Self-Titled
[media=youtube]pdqWG1Or04Q[/media]

Abandoned Pools - Humanistic
[media=youtube]N9VeK1ecmoM[/media]

Archers of Loaf - Icky Mettle

[media=youtube]4ZkEob55qso[/media]

try each when you get around to it and tell me what you think
papaya

Post by papaya »

[media=youtube]5jhk9Rhd53o[/media]
[media=youtube]lDKJ29357FU[/media]

this album comes out in a week
im super hyped
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

Those are actually pretty neat. The first one does an exceptional job of capturing that 80s britpop feel.

I found this artist by accident, and they're all I've been listening to recently:
[media=youtube]_MsaSgsnmt8[/media]
[media=youtube]QIWVV6-9E9o[/media]
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

incidentally
Allthebums
5. Live at Isle of Wight Festival – The Who
4. Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
3. Abbey Road – The Beatles
2. Selling England By The Pound – Genesis
1. Funeral – Arcade Fire
Wrsongs
10. Music of the Night – Andrew Lloyd Webber
9. Somebody to Love – Queen
8. Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
7. Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands – Bob Dylan
6. Experimental Film – They Might Be Giants
5. Defying Gravity – Stephen Schwartz
4. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) – Arcade Fire
3. Baba O’Riley – The Who
2. Strawberry Fields Forever – The Beatles
1. Science Fiction Double Feature – Richard O’ Brien

i'm a sap, classic rock trash, and musical trash
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

i work hard on things
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

also i love Trout Mask Replica, A Love Supreme, and Loveless now

hows THAT for turboplebe tta

genres I currently want to assimilate more:

jazz
metal
post rock
shoegaze
singer-songwriter (love dylan and cohen, will try nick drake eventually)

Also tta, if you still want to get into jazz-fusion, try some of frank zappa's forays into the genre, especially Hot Rats
[media=youtube]p4pfWxjoc6w[/media]

One Size Fits all is another good example

I don't know how similar they are to Christian Scott or Jimmy Chamberlin Complex, but they are some of the most respected works in that category

and while you're at it, check out other zappa stuff. he's got a huge catalogue that has everything from modern classical ("Burnt Weeny Sandwich"), insane noisemaking ("Weasels Ripped My Flesh"), satirical slams against hippies ("We're Only In It For The Money") and a three-part rock opera about scientology, imaginary guitar solos, sex with appliances, and deadly golden showers ("Joe's Garage")

he's woefully inconsistent but almost always interesting
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I wanted to share some songs that I've enjoyed in the hopes that you might as well~!

[media=youtube]rEeiRXOlWUE[/media]
[media=youtube]kAplLy3tzmI[/media]
These are both kinda from two ends of a spectrum, or at least not tangentially linked to each other in any direct way :ashley: