The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Top 5 Worst Reasons To Hate/love Apple.

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Top 5 Worst Reasons To Hate/love Apple.

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Let's face it: Feelings about Apple have been pretty mixed over the last few years. I realize this may seem old-hat, but this week at school, everyone got a MacBook to use for schoolwork, so I've been seeing this pop up a lot more at school this year than I did when I was a freshman. For that reason, I decided to go ahead and talk about it anyway.

Like I said, feelings towards Apple have been very mixed. Some love 'em, others hate 'em. This is not, in any way, meant to change anyone's feelings about Apple, but what I've found is that there are some pretty bad reasons to hate Apple or love them. I'm here to address them all.

Now let's get started, shall we?

--Worst reasons to hate Apple--
5. Buying their products undermines your individualism
THE ARGUMENT: Not buying Apple products because you think it takes away your individualism.
WHY IT'S NOT VALID: Really? You think that you're following the crowd just because you bought an Apple product? Real quick, what does that say about your individualism? Unless you start playing the same video games, listening to the same music, drinking the same soda as everyone else because you bought it, which you won't, nothing.

4. They were never innovative
THE ARGUMENT: This should be fairly self explanatory.
WHY IT'S NOT VALID: Two reasons. Number one, it's a matter of preference. I don't use Windows because it's innovative. I use Windows because I find it very intuitive and very practical for the things I enjoy doing on computers. If it weren't innovative, I'd still use it for those same exact reasons.

Number two, that's not really true. With the iPod, they essentially invented the ultimate media player, but even if you take their actual products out of the mix, you can't deny that they were the company who really sparked interest in the whole "Touch screen phone" thing.
3. Because Android's better
THE ARGUMENT: This too is self explanatory
WHY IT'S NOT VALID: So you claim to hate Apple products, but your reason for hating them is because you like Android... What?

OK, here's the thing. When people say they prefer Android over Apple, they usually say it's because you can do more with Android. I'm familiar enough with Android to be able to vouch for this. If you prefer Android to Apple, that's totally acceptable, but why might others Apple to Android? Is it possible that it's because, gee, I don't know, they don't need the extra features Android has to offer? People prefer products that meet their needs. It boils down to that.
2. The fanboys

THE ARGUMENT: "I hate Apple so much!" "Why?" "Because the fanboys are so freakin' annoying!"
WHY IT'S NOT VALID: I'll be blunt: If this is your reason for hating Apple, you need to find a different reason to hate them.

OK, I get why you hate Apple fanboys. No one likes fanboys. Fanboys are annoying, but they're also everywhere. Everything, and I mean everything in existence has fanboys. Apple, Android, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Samsung, Motorola--if you can name it, it's got fanboys. I hear a lot of girls in my school drool over Adam Levine and go on and on and on about how they would kill just to hold hands with him for a few seconds. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I don't get sick of hearing that after a while, but does that give me a right to hate Maroon 5? Absolutely not. If I hated Maroon 5 because of the more obsessive fans, I'd be hating them for something they don't have an ounce of control over. It's the same thing with Apple. If you hate Apple for their fanboys, you hate them for something that isn't their fault, and that makes no sense.

--Worst reasons to love Apple--
5. OS X
THE ARGUMENT: Self explanatory
WHY IT'S NOT VALID: Ummmm...OS X is why you love Apple? You love Apple for an OS that you basically need a tutorial to get the hang of? Wouldn't you rather use an OS that is natural?
4. Their Prices
THE ARGUMENT: Apple products being reasonably priced (Believe it or not, I hear this a lot).
WHY IT'S NOT VALID: Oh man, don't get me started on this. Too late. Apple have a lot of ludicrous prices. $1000 bucks for a laptop. $600 for an iPad. The only thing these dudes make that's at all reasonable price-wise is the iPad Mini at $330, and frankly, that's how much a regular iPad should cost.

If you say you love Apple because of their prices, you are saying you love them because they overprice things. That's what you're literally saying. If you want reasonable prices, check out Sony or Microsoft. Look me straight in my digital eyes and tell me Apple prices are more reasonable.
3. They are still innovative
THE ARGUMENT: Apple are still the groundbreaking company they used to be.
WHY IT'S NOT VALID: How ironic. I put "They were never innovative as #4 on the worst list, and I'm putting the opposite and #3 on the best list. Huh.

Y'see, there's a fine line between innovating and adding useful features. To innovate is to do something with your product that no one has ever seen before. The iPod really pushed what media players were capable of. The iPhone 5? Not so much. The only real difference between that and an iPhone 4 is the Panoramic view mode that the camera has. That's an incredibly minor change, and thus it's a useful new feature, not an innovation.

So yes, Apple still add useful things to their products, but no they are not still innovative. Nnno.
2. It's what the cool kids are doing
THE ARGUMENT: You love Apple because everyone else does.
WHY IT'S NOT VALID: Do I really need to explain this one? Just buying an apple product doesn't undermine your individuality, but buying them because everyone else does, does. Apple's popularity says nothing about them quality-wise. They can't control their popularity, nor they can really even control whether they're a profitable company or not. I know they can make profitable decisions, but it's always possible that one of their products could ultimately screw them over. They have no way of preventing that once they put it out.
--Worst reason to hate or love Apple--
1. The same general thing
THE ARGUMENT: Apple products always being the same general thing.
WHY IT'S NOT VALID: I found that the worst reason was the same on both ends of the spectrum.

So here's what makes it a bad reason. Things staying the same isn't really a good thing, but it's not really a bad thing either. It's just kind of a...y'know...thing. Companies don't have to bring up new brands and change everything with every product they release. In fact, in some cases it's probably better that they don't. If you think Apple products are the same even outside their core, then fine, but if you hate Apple because their products are the same at their core, that's kind of hypocritical. Lots of other companies take the "same thing improved" model that Apple follows. Sony does this with the PlayStation consoles, Nintendo does with the DS consoles, and Microsoft did this with Windows until Windows 8.

And if you love Apple because their products are the same at their core, then you are really just kind of eating up everything they make. Sure the core of their products is solid, and sure the products run well either way, but Apple have been around a long time now. Aren't you getting a little sick of it? If I were the kind of person who buys new versions every time they come out, I would be, no doubt about it. Maybe the products are different enough that it doesn't really bother you, but the truth is, when a company has been around as long as Apple, evolution is necessary.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

Great list! I agree with pretty much everything here.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Tbh, I hate the UI and the inability to make homebrew apps for them without running them through crapple first.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

There are only two things that will consistently keep me away from a Macintosh computer.
1. A Macintosh's price compared to the price of the actual hardware inside it.
2. The SDK for building native Macintosh applications sucks (mono makes it "somewhat" easier with C# as a solution, but Objective C is ugly, and XCode is the worst GUI editor I have ever put eyes on).
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:There are only two things that will consistently keep me away from a Macintosh computer.
1. A Macintosh's price compared to the price of the actual hardware inside it.
2. The SDK for building native Macintosh applications sucks (mono makes it "somewhat" easier with C# as a solution, but Objective C is ugly, and XCode is the worst GUI editor I have ever put eyes on).
1. Yeah ok, I'll give you that.
2. You don't HAVE to use Objective C to make mac apps. You said that in the post. Mono (for me) is actually pretty simple to work with. And to be honest, XCode isn't really that bad (when not using ObjC on it...)

It's really just a matter of opinion. Then again, I've never tried to make a windows applications so I can't really compare one platform over the other.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

bionicnacho wrote:1. Yeah ok, I'll give you that.
2. You don't HAVE to use Objective C to make mac apps. You said that in the post. Mono (for me) is actually pretty simple to work with. And to be honest, XCode isn't really that bad (when not using ObjC on it...)

It's really just a matter of opinion. Then again, I've never tried to make a windows applications so I can't really compare one platform over the other.

Mono on mac is actually very straight forward yes. I just find it painful writing any sort of GUI on it, and there are also many GUI limitations. On windows I can generate random GUI's, on mac, I can't.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

But wait, where's one?

Quick! They're trying to undermine our individualism!

Run away!
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

SirWrek wrote:Quick! They're trying to undermine our individualism!

Run away!
Exactly.
KHWUDlawson

Post by KHWUDlawson »

Yer I agree but iPods are pretty good
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Ipods are good, but still quite overpriced for what they offer.
KHWUDlawson

Post by KHWUDlawson »

StreetLights wrote:Ipods are good, but still quite overpriced for what they offer.
hmmm I see what you mean
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

You can get a phone with more processing power than an iPod for roughly the same price.
OkaySandwich

Post by OkaySandwich »

I feel that Apple machines are far more sturdy and better made than the majority Windows computers (I once threw my Mac mini down the stairs in a OS X furled rage and it survived without a scratch) by Windows is a far superior OS. I just bought a mac and put bootcamp on it.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

OkaySandwich wrote:I feel that Apple machines are far more sturdy and better made than the majority Windows computers.
Agreed. While I strongly prefer Windows, I do think that Microsoft could learn a thing or two from Apple as far as durability goes.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Agreed. While I strongly prefer Windows, I do think that Microsoft could learn a thing or two from Apple as far as durability goes.
>Microsoft could learn a thing or two from Apple as far as durability goes
>Implies that microsoft actually makes the machines
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I forgot the name of the company who actually makes the computers, OK?
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Agreed. While I strongly prefer Windows, I do think that Microsoft could learn a thing or two from Apple as far as durability goes.
I'm not sure machine durability has anything to do with Microsoft. Computer companies that ship Windows would be the ones to make more durable machines.

OkaySandwich wrote:I feel that Apple machines are far more sturdy and better made than the majority Windows computers (I once threw my Mac mini down the stairs in a OS X furled rage and it survived without a scratch) by Windows is a far superior OS. I just bought a mac and put bootcamp on it.

But also think, Macbooks have less hardware and cost a bloody ton of money. Durability means stronger material, which means overheating. Low end hardware is less likely to overheat as it needs less power.

ElectroYoshi wrote:I forgot the name of the company who actually makes the computers, OK?

Dell, Acer, Gateway, Alienware, Toshiba, LG, Compaq, etc.....
OkaySandwich

Post by OkaySandwich »

Why is it so hard to argue with you? *grumble*
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

I agree for most points except one. Some people might like OSX. Everyone has different needs or wants. If they like OSX, they only have to buy apple because you can't legally get it any other way. I prefer Windows, but each OS has its strength and weaknesses.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Nazmus wrote:I agree for most points except one. Some people might like OSX. Everyone has different needs or wants. If they like OSX, they only have to buy apple because you can't legally get it any other way. I prefer Windows, but each OS has its strength and weaknesses.
Yeah, *legally*.

Actually, it's not really illegal to build a "hackintosh" if you buy the OS. What's illegal is the distribution of these machines for profit.