The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Microsoft Discussion Thread

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

Entity wrote:The windows 8 metro homescreen (or whatever it's called) is clunky and awkward, which is perfect for tablets.

The windows 8 desktop is fine and precise, which is perfect for desktop computers.

And then they smash them both together and put them on computers and tablets. >_>

I was at my Uncle's house trying out his Windows 8 computer and it was actually pretty cool until I realized there was no start menu. When I press the start key it takes me to the homescreen.

No. I will never buy Windows 8.
Breaking News- They're actually bringing the Start button back to Windows in an update lol.
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

SirWrek wrote:Breaking News- They're actually bringing the Start button back to Windows in an update lol.
OMG THAT'S AMAZING! That will fix EVERYTHING! Now i have an easier way of accessing the metro thingamajig.

Actually that's pretty cool... It looked kinda weird without a button.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

SirWrek wrote:Breaking News- They're actually bringing the Start button back to Windows in an update lol.

If that's where the updating begins and ends, I will probably "downgrade" to w7. What can I say? w8 is very clunky and impossible to use.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

Microsoft is a company that sells computers and consoles.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Whats funny is that the start menu button existed in the developer preview.

Here's an awesome idea for an update as well (It took me a very long time to come up with this idea, and it might be too hard for Microsoft to do) eliminate metro on desktop computers via an update and give back the original start menu. Metro should still exist for those who still want to use it, but it should only be a defaulted feature for tablets. As well, make containers that windows 8 apps can run inside so that a person can maximize their desktop space with these newly structure apps (You can fit as many legacy apps as you want on a screen, why kill the moment for windows 8 apps). Lets call these windows 8 application containers "windows". I'm sure it will be a revolutionary idea.
Lysander789

Post by Lysander789 »

ElectroYoshi wrote:If that's where the updating begins and ends, I will probably "downgrade" to w7. What can I say? w8 is very clunky and impossible to use.
This guy says the truth.
Sebastian Lawe wrote:Whats funny is that the start menu button existed in the developer preview.

Here's an awesome idea for an update as well: Eliminate metro on desktop computers via an update and give back the original start menu. Metro should still exist for those who still want to use it, but it should only be a defaulted feature for tablets. As well, make containers that windows 8 apps can run inside so that a person can maximize their desktop space with these newly structure apps (You can fit as many legacy apps as you want on a screen, why kill the moment for windows 8 apps). Lets call these windows 8 application containers "windows". I'm sure it will be a revolutionary idea.
That is a brilliant idea. But how are we going to notify Microsoft about this notion of yours? MS's Win. 8 servers are gonna incinerate our email about it. xD
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

ElectroYoshi wrote:If that's where the updating begins and ends, I will probably "downgrade" to w7. What can I say? w8 is very clunky and impossible to use.
Yeah, I could see that. I still use W7 mostly myself. It's right there along with 95 ME as my favorite. ;-)
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
RaDsTeR

Post by RaDsTeR »

I have a mac and a PC. My laptop is windows 8, but it isn't a touchscreen. To be honest, the home screen is ok'ish but I prefer the start menu, (which is being brought back in an update).

My iMac is good though, so I'm a bit of both really.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Yeah, I am not really too too sure about the Windows 8 tile screen - other than that it looks like a bit of an improvement over 7..
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:it looks like a bit of an improvement over 7..
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

ElectroYoshi wrote:Image
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Somebody let the pigflag loose again..
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Another secret feature Microsoft has in their Xbox One has been revealed.
[media=youtube]bUE-cTsaK6g[/media]
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

ERMAHGERD VERCE CERNTRERL!
DvChayz

Post by DvChayz »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:Another secret feature Microsoft has in their Xbox One has been revealed.
[media=youtube]bUE-cTsaK6g[/media]
im just going believe that you don't think is real, please inform me if thats the case.
Miniike

Post by Miniike »

ElectroYoshi wrote:(a thing)
Best. Thing. Ever.
:pigflag: for fricking fricks sake why do i still care :pigflag:
:lock: 1. Wild Life 2. China Pig 3. The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica) 4. Sugar N' Spikes 5. Ant Man Bee :lock:
:bomb: you'll love it, it's a way of life :bomb:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Lately I have been far too amused by the Onion.
Spoiler
I am still perplexed..
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

OK, I guess this is just a pigflag now...

Welp, might as well join in...

SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

What is MS other than one big Pigflag? :p