The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Microsoft Discussion Thread

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

ElectroYoshi wrote:WHAT THE--!?

Ok, two questions: Number one, why do they want him to resign, and number two, seriously, WHY THE HELL DO THEY WANT HIM TO RESIGN!!!???
Money.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

To be honest, I think Microsoft's only chance is to have Bill Gates step back in as CEO, so if he leaves, so does my faith in Microsoft.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Here's what I see: Microsoft crumbling down and burning to ashes and a new, never before seen company takes its place.

To be honest, I no longer have faith in Microsoft. Just no. Same thing is starting to happen with Apple. I give them both 5 years tops, unless something BIG happens internally.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

bionicnacho wrote:To be honest, I no longer have faith in Microsoft. Just no. Same thing is starting to happen with Apple. I give them both 5 years tops, unless something BIG happens internally.
To be honest, I think Apple went downhill first, and then Microsoft started to recently.

I don't know who's gonna replace Steve Ballmer, but if the guy can't fix Ballmer's mistakes, time is probably running out for Microsoft.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

I could see Apple and Microsoft being replaced by any small company. Apple and Microsoft will fail, investors will put money into the next best project, and presto, the circle begins again.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I can't envision Apple failing anytime soon, because people tend to just kind of "eat up" everything they make and will likely continue to.

Microsoft failing...that I find much more likely.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

ElectroYoshi wrote:I can't envision Apple failing anytime soon, because people tend to just kind of "eat up" everything they make and will likely continue to.

Microsoft failing...that I find much more likely.
I never dictated the order in which both companies will fail. Its inevitable that that both will fail though. Neither are guided by the original owners, and are doomed to fail because the people running both companies think with their pockets.

Apple will gain the PC market share when Microsoft fails. At that point, a new OS company will eventually pop up and create the new cool thing to buy. Macs will become more virus prone, and gain every complaint people had about windows (excluding windows 8) as everybody including malware creators will set a new target. The new OS company, only having a partial PC share will own an OS with no viruses, and gain everything Macs had praise for (being cool, having no viruses, not being owned by everyone, etc). Since Apple is not ran by its founder, it will eventually turn off its user base due to greed of replacement owners, leaving some new company as a leader. It will be a recurring cycle.

But who knows, I could be entirely wrong.
When Apple nearly crumbled to the floor, Microsoft gave Apple money so that there would still be competition (its actually dangerous to be the biggest company). Once Microsoft gave out that money, Apple created the iPod/iPhone and began kicking RIM to the curb, the old phone successor and the only Canadian phone creator. Macintosh computers also became more frequent in schools and workplaces. These days more and more windows machines are being replaced by Macintosh computers, and the cool factor Macs have will dissapear. Nothing is cool when everybody has it. Microsoft is going to nearly go to rubble, and Apple, if its smart, will fund Microsoft money so it won't fail. Because the most dangerous thing you can do is become the only big company. If Apple does not fund Microsoft at its demise, Apple will get sued left and right by small business owners.

When Microsoft came with internet explorer, Apple sued and complained that big old Microsoft was trying to put them out of business. When Microsoft shipped with paint, same thing. As result, Microsoft is legally not allowed to bundle software with their operating system (only PC companies bundle apps with Windows).

Now, again if Microsoft is gone, Apple will be the only big electronics company. Big companies have large pockets, so you can count on gaining some hefty money by suing them for everything. These would be some of the arguments toward Apple: "If Apple keeps copying us how are we supposed to grow?", "Why is only Apple allowed to do that and not us?", "If Apple does that we'll be put out of business and left in unemployment, how will that affect economy if we're not the only company who has to shut down?".

Both Apple and Microsoft will either fail entirely, eventually, or become infinite crutches for each other. There is no in between.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I know Apple and Microsoft will both fail at some point.

What I meant by that is that I see Microsoft failing a lot sooner than Apple, since people still eat up everything Apple makes and Microsoft have a lot more skepticism coming their way atm.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

My thought though, is whether or not Microsoft will be left to snuff out entirely, completely backhand Apple, or end up being given money by Apple so that a competition still exists.

Whats going on in the tech industry feels as suspenseful as a TV show.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:My thought though, is whether or not Microsoft will be left to snuff out entirely, completely backhand Apple, or end up being given money by Apple so that a competition still exists.
I've been wondering about that too. My best guess is that Microsoft will snuff out within the next 5-10 years, and without Microsoft to compete with, Apple will die out about 7 or 8 years after that.

But honestly, even that feels like it may fall pretty short of the truth. I guess the only option we really have is to wait and see if either company gets back on track.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

You have to realize the Microsoft is doing very well financially. They make billions (yes BILLIONS) of dollars each quarter year from EACH of the following businesses: (Microsoft Office, Windows Azure, Android (MS makes billions of dollars from android patents licensing fee), Windows, Windows Server & Tools, and a bunch of enterprise tools.

What is Windows Azure? Windows Azure is a cloud service that makes many websites and online games run. For instance, Apple's iTunes runs on top of Windows Azure. Xbox LIVE and all the online Multiplayer games run on Windows Azure. A great part of the internet is DEPENDED on Microsoft's Windows Azure. Google and Amazon also provides competing services.

Android: a recent report noted that Microsoft has made 2 billion (yes billion) dollars from all the android sails this year. Android is not free. Yes, google gives it away, but many of the android features are patents held by Microsoft. If you want to sell an android device, you have to pay Microsoft a license fee..

Microsoft office is HUGE. It is a BILLION dollar business. Just in the past 6 months, 2 MILLION HOME customers have PURCHASED an Office 365 Home Premium subscription for 100/year. This is just HOME users. It is way more popular in business.

Many servers that host website and games run on Windows Server. This, too, earns billions for Microsoft.

90% PC runs Windows. If you think Windows 8 is hard to use, just imagine how hard it would be to switch to a whole new OS on your PC for most people. That isn't going to happen (God Willing).

Xbox, Microsoft Advertising, and bing is loosing money, but the other billion dollar businesses earns them HUGE profits.