The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Microsoft Discussion Thread

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Hollabyte

Microsoft Discussion Thread

Post by Hollabyte »

We have an Apple one, microsoft deserves some love.

Personally, I love Apple products. And I'm a mac. But I can't deny that Microsoft's Windows 8 is looking pretty darn cool. Also, most would disagree with me, although I use an iPhone, I like the windows phone more than I like android.

But this thread isn't exactly for brand comparisons, it's mainly intended for discussion about microsoft and the incredible things they're doing. Do we have any microsoft fans?
👋 I used to be known as Prototype 🙂 🤖
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

I personally don't think that Windows 8 will work well on desktop PCs...people are just too used to work with mouse and keyboard and not relying on a touchscreen which this interface looks like it's optimized for.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
freekboy31

Post by freekboy31 »

...but hey, mouse and keyboard work together in 1996 so does Windows 8 also work with them.
:crate: :atmobot: coming soon..... :sentrybot:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :monkeyblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:
:brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock: :brickblock:

EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Baufritz wrote: I personally don't think that Windows 8 will work well on desktop PCs...people are just too used to work with mouse and keyboard and not relying on a touchscreen which this interface looks like it's optimized for.
I'm with Baufritz on this one. Windows 8 looks cool, but only on a tablet. I think i'm going to stay with Window 7 for a gaming PC (that is, until Windows MLG comes out :P lol)
Echo

Post by Echo »

I like Microsoft(for computers) but really hate the look of W8. I hope you there's an option change it back.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I have kind of been a Windows user for just about my entire computing life, despite the MacBook I shared with someone back in 2006. But besides that I have mainly stuck to Microsoft, Mostly just for reasons of compatibility and out of habit- when I am looking for a new computer I tend to just go towards Windows. But it is kind of just that, I accept that Windows has its flaws, just as Mac does- I personally find Windows more intuitive, but again that is probably just habit speaking...
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Phantomboy wrote:I have kind of been a Windows user for just about my entire computing life, despite the MacBook I shared with someone back in 2006. But besides that I have mainly stuck to Microsoft, Mostly just for reasons of compatibility and out of habit- when I am looking for a new computer I tend to just go towards Windows. But it is kind of just that, I accept that Windows has its flaws, just as Mac does- I personally find Windows more intuitive, but again that is probably just habit speaking...
Great way to put it. I was also one of the people who used Microsoft up till 2007 and started using OSX. Now I the habits of using OSX. :P
SirWrek
Editorial Staff
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by SirWrek »

Windows 8 is more a tablet thing honestly- and should work fine on such devices. On PCs, meh.

Also, MS should be getting truckloads of moolah from their share of 343 Industry's profits on Halo 4 for the next year or so as well... ;-)
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

SirWrek wrote:Windows 8 is more a tablet thing honestly- and should work fine on such devices. On PCs, meh.

Also, MS should be getting truckloads of moolah from their share of 343 Industry's profits on Halo 4 for the next year or so as well... ;-)
Tis true
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

freekboy31 wrote:...but hey, mouse and keyboard work together in 1996 so does Windows 8 also work with them.
Yes, but it doesn't look like it's supposed to be navigated by mouse and keyboard, it looks like it's made for touchscreens.

Also, I'm a bit worried about the future of PC gaming.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

Baufritz wrote:Yes, but it doesn't look like it's supposed to be navigated by mouse and keyboard, it looks like it's made for touchscreens.

Also, I'm a bit worried about the future of PC gaming.
Indeed.

At least, until they create gaming tech like TRON... :3
I've been around since 2008. And I'm old. Yay. Pretty sure I notched a fair amount of LOTD/XPs but somehow always like my underrated levels more. Go figure. My best design days are behind me, but I'll try to not be too shabby.
Newah

Post by Newah »

I love Windows, but probably mostly because I've grown to know it so well, that I can use it efficiently and smoothly.

I also love Macs though, the GUI is very smooth and perfect. I really can't choose sides, but the one thing I can say is that Apple computers are overpriced HUGELY.
EyceKubes

Post by EyceKubes »

Newah wrote:I love Windows, but probably mostly because I've grown to know it so well, that I can use it efficiently and smoothly.

I also love Macs though, the GUI is very smooth and perfect. I really can't choose sides, but the one thing I can say is that Apple computers are overpriced HUGELY.
One reason why I don't like apple is because almost all of their products are way too expensive. I mean... $1000+ for a laptop!? I'm sure its good if not great quality... but I can get an Alienware laptop for that much.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Hedlokd wrote:One reason why I don't like apple is because almost all of their products are way too expensive. I mean... $1000+ for a laptop!? I'm sure its good if not great quality... but I can get an Alienware laptop for that much.
True I agree (Except for the part of disliking Apple) However they have some good prices like the iPad Mini.

If I was to get an Alienware I would install OSX on it, I'm not much of a PC gamer I am an artist so I want something fast and that I can work with ease. Reason why is I just find OSX to be a better more stable and I don't see red walls all day from looking at a blue screen all day. :P
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I'm beginning to lose faith in Microsoft. Windows Vista sucks, and Windows 8 is even less efficient. It's advertised as running better, and it does run better, but the "tablet + computer" idea its built around makes it **** near impossible to use. The only reason I can put up with it is because it gives you the option of using the traditional desktop, and that's how computers are supposed to be used.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

In terms of Microsoft, my favorite thing they've provided is easy development tools for developers or people interested in programming. Managed code and the .net framework is great to work with with in my opinion. With other people like Novell and Xamarin supporting .net on multiple platforms Microsoft has won me over. If Microsoft ever dies, I'll still be using their programming language.

In terms of their operating systems, XP is the most intuitive to use for mouse and keyboard. I've used the horrid maze of Vista and nearly killed myself. Windows 7 however, although better than Vista still makes it a chore to find computer options. Menus are hidden and only appear when alt is pressed, and people are further confused on maintaining their own PC. Windows XP is the best windows OS. Windows 7 is the next runner up if you want updated features.

I've moved from Windows 7 to Ubuntu to suite my needs. It can run quite fast via USB 2.0, its free, the mono runtime works on it allowing me to natively run .net applications. And for any C/C++ application I can use wine. C# development can be done on almost anything these days.

I wanted a portable workstation I could use, and the portable USB option windows 8 has is USB picky. Ubuntu on liveUSB is great for travelling .net developers. Windows projects can be worked on and tested on Ubuntu.
SirWrek
Editorial Staff

Post by SirWrek »

[Trolling]

Let's all talk about the Xbox One Television Box guys! :3
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Is it really trolling?

Regardless - I am usually pretty slow at updating.. I tend to just hang around the devices I have until one of them happens to break - if it does then I might go and pick up the latest version of it, but if I can find a replacement I often will just go with that. As far as specifics of the console - I am decently impressed by it, it seems to find the time it is walking into well enough I suppose. There really isn't anything majorly new about it but rather a dressed up update.

I haven't really heard if this has been discounted or not but the whole no-used-games-thing seems to be a risky move.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

The windows 8 metro homescreen (or whatever it's called) is clunky and awkward, which is perfect for tablets.

The windows 8 desktop is fine and precise, which is perfect for desktop computers.

And then they smash them both together and put them on computers and tablets. >_>

I was at my Uncle's house trying out his Windows 8 computer and it was actually pretty cool until I realized there was no start menu. When I press the start key it takes me to the homescreen.

No. I will never buy Windows 8.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:No. I will never buy Windows 8.
Lucky. My new laptop came with it, so it's too late for me... >.<
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.