The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Windows 8- Is It As Bad As People Say It Is?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Swords761 wrote:Like 99.9% sure if everything you're using works in Windows 8 it will continue working without any flaws/difference in Windows 8.1.

I don't know if you know about the potential mouse lag in gaming in Windows 8.1. Microsoft changed the way mouse is handled in the 8.1 OS, but it only affects certain AAA games, like Call of Duty Black Ops, (and Ghosts, too). Some say that source engine games like Portal are also affected. I tried portal in 8.1, but found no issues.
LordFinnagin

Post by LordFinnagin »

I use Windows 8 and in truth...

I detest most of it. I have to download separate things, and I can't even use Linux anymore. I even resorted to using to burning the iso onto a disc. It appears to be, as you say, "7 with a fancy start menu", but when you have to use it on a normal basis it becomes more apparent its many flaws. It was hard to adjust, but now I am chugging along and gritting my teeth.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I recently downloaded ClassicStart8, so I'll never have to look at that cringe-inducing Metro screen ever again. I was planning on just updowngrading to Windows 7, so I saved myself about $90. :P

It's still a crap OS at its core though.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

I've tried Windows 8 and it did seem to be faster and smoother, and it did look pretty cool... BUT THE START MENU WAS A VERY GOOD THING. I don't see why it needed to be removed. In a desktop environment, the classic start menu is so much more efficient than the metro screen. I think they should have left it the way it was for Desktop, and only had the metro screen for their fancy tablets.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Entity wrote:I've tried Windows 8 and it did seem to be faster and smoother, and it did look pretty cool... BUT THE START MENU WAS A VERY GOOD THING. I don't see why it needed to be removed. In a desktop environment, the classic start menu is so much more efficient than the metro screen. I think they should have left it the way it was for Desktop, and only had the metro screen for their fancy tablets.
This exactly.

The whole metro thing just seems so touch-oriented.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:I've tried Windows 8 and it did seem to be faster and smoother, and it did look pretty cool... BUT THE START MENU WAS A VERY GOOD THING. I don't see why it needed to be removed. In a desktop environment, the classic start menu is so much more efficient than the metro screen. I think they should have left it the way it was for Desktop, and only had the metro screen for their fancy tablets.

THIS, THIS, AND MORE THIS.

Microsoft actually thought something optimized for a touch screen would work on a PC. There is NO excuse.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

I'll be honest here, if you're a windows user who has always used the search bar to find your apps, metro isn't that big of an issue.