The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

The Negative Response To Windows 8 Was...not Interpreted Correctly.

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

The Negative Response To Windows 8 Was...not Interpreted Correctly.

Post by ElectroYoshi »

So awhile back Microsoft released a new version of Windows 8 appropriately named "Windows 8.1". Microsoft said it would fix the problems people had with Windows 8, but unfortunately it fixed ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Here's a video of it. As you can see, there's really not much difference. So much for bringing back the start menu...

[media=youtube]P8wrHn_kLSE[/media]

Discuss.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Why are you blue now?
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Rabbidfan236 wrote:Why are you blue now?

*Cough*
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

I don't really see the complaint. Get a third party start menu app, and presto.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:I don't really see the complaint. Get a third party start menu app, and presto.
My main complaint isn't really the OS itself, but the fact that it doesn't really provide the "fixes" Microsoft promised.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

The only thing I dislike with Windows 8 is metro. A third party start menu app kills metro :P

I really don't see what else needed fixing, unless I'm missing something.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:The only thing I dislike with Windows 8 is metro. A third party start menu app kills metro :P

I really don't see what else needed fixing, unless I'm missing something.
What people hate about Windows 8 is how it's optimized for tablets and phones but published to PC. This was by far the biggest complaint about Windows 8 that people had, and the metro menu is still there. Also, personally, I don't want to have to use a third party app to get rid of it, and I think the fact that such an app even exists says a lot.

My point is this: Instead of throwing away time money and resources making fixes to a poorly-thought-out fusion between touch screen technology and PC technology, Microsoft really should've just nixed it altogether and brought back the traditional start menu. They said they were gonna do that but NOPE!!!
Newah

Post by Newah »

To be fair, it does become an operable OS once you use a third party software to remove the Metro system-and actually a fast one at that. But it is flawed at its core.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

There's nothing wrong with the Metro system imo. And if it bothers you so much, the video clearly explains how to (almost) never have to ever see it with the right options turned on. I don't understand why you all cannot learn to press Windows-Q to bring up the search bar on the right pane (like how Command-Spacebar opens up Spotlight on a Mac) to quickly search/locate/open files/applications. Why do you need a little menu tile in the bottom left corner to appear when you click the Windows logo? Are you that opposed to a minor graphical change? And by turning on the "go to Apps when switching to Metro" option, you're essentially turning the Start menu into what its main purpose was before, minus the search bar and the shortcuts on the right side. But there are other keyboard shortcuts (and right clicking on the Windows logo) that replace all of that anyways.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Swords761 wrote:There's nothing wrong with the Metro system imo. And if it bothers you so much, the video clearly explains how to (almost) never have to ever see it with the right options turned on. I don't understand why you all cannot learn to press Windows-Q to bring up the search bar on the right pane (like how Command-Spacebar opens up Spotlight on a Mac) to quickly search/locate/open files/applications. Why do you need a little menu tile in the bottom left corner to appear when you click the Windows logo? Are you that opposed to a minor graphical change? And by turning on the "go to Apps when switching to Metro" option, you're essentially turning the Start menu into what its main purpose was before, minus the search bar and the shortcuts on the right side. But there are other keyboard shortcuts (and right clicking on the Windows logo) that replace all of that anyways.

Honestly, the fact that the video explains how to never have to see it just proves my point. This kind of goes with what I was saying to Sebane earlier, but if you feel the need to explain to people how to get rid of a clunky interface that nobody likes, chances are it was not a good move and it needs to be phased out, or at the very least be converted into an optional add-on.

My point is, PC's are not built to use touch screen OS's and touch screen products are not built to use PC OS's. That shouldn't be a difficult thing to understand. Not for tech enthusiasts like us and certainly not for a big-name company like Microsoft.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

StreetLights wrote:Image
Then why post? :P I think your secrets to mass post counts are showing..

Anyways, I am likely to update to Windows 8 once either my laptop or desktop needs to be rebuilt. As usual I will be overly confused and searching for everything - then slowly get use to it and forget I ever had any problems, like always..
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

No, Microsoft did make changes. That video just didn't show it. You can turn off the start screen and just show a classic apps selection instead. You can also show desktop apps first on the classic view.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2zSqCKI1vI
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

I'm thinking of natively installing Windows 8.1 on my machine (my computer has a touch screen), though I'm afraid of any possible drawbacks that may arise. While Windows 8 supports legacy apps, Its still trying to push a full screen app trend which isn't so great for multitasking. I'd be installing an OS in which I'd be ignoring its core goal.

The things that have me wanting it:
  • Faster.
  • Apps built for it are more efficient.
The things that are causing me second thoughts:
  • Its not an ideal OS for developers/programmers.
  • Customizing and automating custom maintenance tasks is a pain.
  • Customizing in depth settings takes longer. (This is beyond simple personalization, and screen resolution settings)
  • Everything on my current OS works, and Windows 8 is foreign compared to prior OS upgrades.
Can somebody give me a hand in making the decision? I've played with it in VMware, and it doesn't seem so bad at first glance, but I've heard enough cons from people who do things such as server management, and development.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

here's the deal. Windows 8 has the exact (I mean exact replica) desktop as Windows 7. You can run visual studio. You can run power shell or command prompt. You can have perfect multi-window interface. It works fantastically with multi-monitor. The fact that it is not ideal OS for programmer is completely invalid. Customizing settings should not take longer because the classic Control panel has remained unchanged from the Windows 7 one. Microsoft was too buy creating the Metro UI to have time to change the Desktop control panel. Everything (minus a few stuff like creating a new user) is exactly where they are since Windows 7.

I will agree with your last point. If everything works, there is no reason in upgrading. If you are happy with what you got, no need to change just for the sake of change. But about the foreign part: you are not a beginning user. You are a developer. You have the smarts to learn a new OS. If computer illiterates can learn to use an iPad (gasp, it doesn't have a start menu either), you can learn to use Windows.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Sebastian Lawe wrote:Can somebody give me a hand in making the decision? I've played with it in VMware, and it doesn't seem so bad at first glance, but I've heard enough cons from people who do things such as server management, and development.
With all the programming and developing you do, getting Windows 8/8.1 would probably not be a wise move on your part.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

I program and develop every day. I write C++ code. I test and deploy apps. I run VMs and run sevelral OSes in Windows 8. I run Linux and Windows Server OSs. I do all that on Windows 8. Suggesting that it is not ideal for developers means you don't know what you are talking about.

I agree that the Metro UI might not be ideal for developers. But you seem to ignore the fact that Windows 8 has a desktop.

I tell you what. I am not suggesting you upgrade. It's a lot of money and my not be wroth it. But I am asking that you don't criticize Windows 8 for being bad for programming because it is incorrect. Windows 8 has its flaws, but that flaw doesn't have anything to do with programming limitations.
Sebastian Lawe

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Nazmus wrote:Customizing settings should not take longer because the classic Control panel has remained unchanged from the Windows 7 one.
I'm not speaking of user settings. I'm speaking of features such as employing custom windows services, scheduling scripts and applications to run, taking advantage of automation. Its all my father complains about when connecting to his Windows 8 server (his other two run Windows 7), and its something I heavily rely on.
Nazmus

Post by Nazmus »

Okay, I see. You bring up a valid point. I don't have enough knowledge to tell you what it's like, but since your father does, trust what he says.

Tell you what. Microsoft gives 90 free trial of Windows 8.1. Download it and install it on a VM. Then see what automation scripting is like. That's how I test Linux. VMs are awesome. Plus, Windows 8.1 trial is free. No credit card or anything required. install it on VMware or Virtual box, as they both work great with Windows 8.1. I personally use VMware Player (free).

Note that this trial copy CANNOT be converted to a full copy. Once trial is up, that's that. If you want full version, you have to buy it and download the full version separately. That's why it is wise to run it in VM.

Here's the link to download Windows 8.1 Trial: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/eval ... 99156.aspx
Newah

Post by Newah »

Nazmus, you should work for the Windows 8 PR team. :P

I don't like Windows 8 simply because it doesn't do anything objectively useful or needful, besides a few small speed increases. Everything that Windows 8 does, could be done in a Windows 7 add on. Windows 7 is perfect for the time being, there's literally no reason for me to upgrade.