The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

I5 4670k Pc Parts. Your Opinions?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Orion14ed

I5 4670k Pc Parts. Your Opinions?

Post by Orion14ed »

Hey guys!

Some of you may remember me talking about building a computer, a looong time ago. I finally have the cash to do so, and would like some of the tech savy's opinion on the parts I am going with.

The build is based on a 4th gen Intel i5 4670K quad core processor. (I am sticking with Intel guys >.<)

Since I plan on going with an OEM version of Win 7, I want my CPU Mobo combo to be long lasting, and future proof until I have enough time and money to upgrade enough of my components to prompt a new OS.

With that in mind, the motherboard I have selected is the MSI Z87-G45. With support with LGA 1150, I also have opted for an after-market heatsink with the Cooler Master Hyper TX3. For Ram, I will start with a base set of 8 gigs, from the Ripjaws series.

The Scout 2 will house all of my components, and will contain my 650W Bronze rated PSU, 1Tb HD, and my optical drive.

I will be going with aGTX 660, along with a wireless card to fill up my PCI slots.

Before anything else, please, please, PLEASE, no Intel vs AMD or Nvidea vs AMD arguments. AMD is a reputable company, with their advantages, and well as quality products. I recognize I could save a lot of money if I were to go with AMD, but I personally have great experience with Intel, along with some bad experiences from AMD. It is a personal thing, not a statistic thing.

I will be building this myself, or with assistance from a family friend. With an ATX form-factor, and with the mobo I have gone with, I have room for some nice SLI or Crossfire action. The wireless card makes me upset, for I would rather not use it, and spend the extra cash on something I can avoid. My room, does not have internet, and I am sad not to be able to use the internet features of my Motherboard, but I have some PCIe slots that need some love. The GTX660 is a good base card, with decent enough performance to allow some nice game-play. With two 660s in a 2 way SLI, I can get close, if not better performance than some high end card. (I will have to find the chart..)

The main purpose of the machine is to game, and to be able to handle some minor video editing. If I was big on editing, I would go with an i7, but this should be able to handle it.

What are your suggestions? I have posted on places like Tom's Hardware, but even with all the people, I get little to no answers to my questions. Any tips for PC building in general?

I will probably hold back on ordering for a while, wait for a good deal on some of my more expensive parts. Even at this moment, the wireless card I want is on sale, I probably will order that tonight...
ThatOneFox
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ThatOneFox »

AMD card tbh.
:skull: :bungee: Keith Keiser has a better ass than you :bungee: :skull:
Orion14ed

Post by Orion14ed »

StreetLights wrote:AMD card tbh.
Crossfire sounds nice if a good deal comes around. Not opposed to it.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

I mean the eyefinity technology is so much more advanced. Supports multiple monitors much better than an nVidia.
Orion14ed

Post by Orion14ed »

StreetLights wrote:I mean the eyefinity technology is so much more advanced. Supports multiple monitors much better than an nVidia.
The real part of it is the deal with a GPU and PSU combo right now. If a combo comes along with AMD, I will probably go with it.
ThatOneFox

Post by ThatOneFox »

Ah, that makes sense. Either way, you could always get an AMD card later on.
Newah

Post by Newah »

When you build the computer, it's super easy not to put in the spacers into the case. I fried my first mobo that way, which was a huge disappointment to me, so make sure you put in the spacers. Also the case you choose is very important. One that has cable management is a HUGE help. Cables that get in the way are a pain, and block airflow. Another quick tip, if you don't want a super loud computer, make sure the fans are quiet, or to invest in some quieter fans. Most of this is obvious stuff, but it's things I did wrong my first time.