The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

What Does Everyone Think About Wearable Tech?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

The sexy beast that is the Moto 360 has finally been released to the public this past week, selling out everywhere just hours after they were put on sale.

General consensus so far is that it's a really sexy watch, and its round display gives it an edge above other smartwatches on the market, making it feel like an actual watch and not a shrunken down phone on your wrist.

I know my opinions on the whole smartwatch wearables thing were pretty negative on my previous post, but this thing has really changed my mind and I want one so bad, even though I don't wear a normal watch. Though I still don't know why I would need a smartwatch, I just really really want one. xD That of course proves the point others have said in earlier posts on this thread.

Some say battery life is too low, others say it's great. This factor alone could make or break the success of this device, though. You don't want to be in a scenario where you need to look at the time and you can't because "your watch needs charging".

I think people need to hold off on getting any of these new smartwatches until after Apple's rumored iWatch comes out, and after the competition "responds" to the iWatch.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Did anyone else catch the Apple Watch thing the other day?

I don't know how I feel about its features, seeing as some of them would be a headache on such a small device, but I actually really like what they're doing with the interface. Doesn't seem to just copy and paste iOS over to a wearable, and so it actually looks well suited to a watch.

In my opinion though, the best part is that scroll wheel. The iPod Nano is roughly the same size as this thing and your finger is constantly getting in the way of what you're doing, which is annoying to put it mildly. I think they've managed to work around that quite effectively here.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

I'm disappointed in the style of the new Apple Watch, it just looks like any other smart watch. It's just not unique like the Moto 360.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

That seems to be the general consensus on the thing judging by what I've heard from peers. I think they could've done more too. The more efficient zooming and scrolling seems to be the main selling point, which isn't necessarily a problem, but still isn't enough when it gets down to it.

But then again, it's not out yet. Who's to say the thing won't have more setting it apart from the competition when it hits?
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Semesto wrote:I'm disappointed in the style of the new Apple Watch, it just looks like any other smart watch. It's just not unique like the Moto 360.
I really don't have anything else to add.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
boberto

Post by boberto »

All I can think about when looking at the Apple Watch is "Why isn't it round?".

Sure, it's not good to be too skeuomorphic, but in this case round simply looks better. A watch is a piece of jewelry first and foremost, it's meant to look nice. The materials Apple used are terrific, but it looks similar to the bloated and round original iPhone.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

boberto wrote:All I can think about when looking at the Apple Watch is "Why isn't it round?".

Sure, it's not good to be too skeuomorphic, but in this case round simply looks better. A watch is a piece of jewelry first and foremost, it's meant to look nice. The materials Apple used are terrific, but it looks similar to the bloated and round original iPhone.
I completely agree. Apple was in the best position of anyone to revolutionize the smart-watch industry. While all the Android watches are relying on Google (and whoever else is working on the Android Watch OS), Apple was making theirs completely from the ground up. And, actually the OS they developed seems like it would work really well on a circular screen? Probably some tweaks would be necessary, and some traditions broken, but that's what innovation is about, right?
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Check out the pictures in this article:

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-the-apple- ... ound-face/

ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

What on earth does a round screen have to do with anything...?
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

ElectroYoshi wrote:What on earth does a round screen have to do with anything...?
One word: Moto360
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:One word: Moto360

>Disappointed that the Apple Watch isn't as groundbreaking as expected
>Disappointed that the Apple Watch isn't designed identically to the Moto360
>Wut

Anyway, I do think it's a weird design choice for them to make the interface round and not the screen, but honestly, that's the least of people's concerns when designing for a smartwatch. Functionality and practicality are just way more significant.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Well the thing is, a smart watch is just a smart phone with 92% of the functionality removed, with 10% of the screen size, and stuck to your wrist so you can only use it with one hand. Their main selling point is that "it takes an entire 2 seconds to take your phone out," but that certainly doesn't justify (at least for me) spending just as much money as I would on a smartphone, on a dumb-smartphone.

Unless it looks like a sexy beast.

ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Well, yes, but watches are made for quick glancable information. Phones are not good for that. They're much better for doing things for a long time, like streaming a TV show or reading a news article. Getting a phone out of your pocket takes a lot longer than two seconds when you have a lot of stuff in your pockets, and it's not an option at all if your hands are full.

Quite honestly, if you want something that looks nice without any sort of function other than time, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for you to be buying a smartwatch at all. The things are expensive enough as it is, if they looked as nice as a regular watch, the price would skyrocket.

Also, if a square face looks so bad, why do jewelry stores sell so many of THESE?:

Fact is, if you want looks over functionality, you're better off skipping out on smartwatches.
Jasonmerc

Post by Jasonmerc »

Here's my wearable tech:

It's the next unreleased LG G-watch. Only available to exclusive people. Guess who's one of them...

I even rooted my watch and flashed PAC-ROM. But the coolest feature above all, is that it can actually disconnect from your wrist and act like a real phone.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Jasonmerc wrote:Here's my wearable tech:

It's the next unreleased LG G-watch. Only available to exclusive people. Guess who's one of them...

I even rooted my watch and flashed PAC-ROM. But the coolest feature above all, is that it can actually disconnect from your wrist and act like a real phone.
*reblogs*
Jasonmerc

Post by Jasonmerc »

Entity wrote:*reblogs*
'bout time

You'd best keep this a secret from LG. Other wise you wont be seeing any more leaked photos from me, anyway.
Nicciwilli

Post by Nicciwilli »

I will probably wear something like the 2nd - 3rd generation of the Moto 360 or something similar, it's the most beautiful wearable imo but the current generation has too many problems.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Nicciwilli wrote:I will probably wear something like the 2nd - 3rd generation of the Moto 360 or something similar, it's the most beautiful wearable imo but the current generation has too many problems.
Totally agree. I wanted to buy the watch so bad, but I just can't get over the fact that a new device already lags. The use of an older processor is inefficient and just isn't that great. Watching YT videos and seeing it lag on camera was just a complete turnoff.

Make it better 2nd time around, and keep the sexiness and Moto has me as a customer.