The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

What Does Everyone Think About Wearable Tech?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

There's already a thread about this on the Tech Talk board. Merged the threads :P
Epowerj

Post by Epowerj »

I don't even have a smartphone, but I think that wearable tech would be very handy. I think it will actually lower the amount of "phone zombies" because they wouldn't have to take their phone out every time.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Epowerj wrote:I don't even have a smartphone, but I think that wearable tech would be very handy. I think it will actually lower the amount of "phone zombies" because they wouldn't have to take their phone out every time.
I guess it would decrease "phone zombies", but would it create "watch zombies"? XD
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

As for 'wearable tech' I think it could certainly be useful if the devices were streamlined, and they could sync well with each other. For example, I don't take my phone with me when I go for runs because it's too big. I love the size that it is, but it's too heavy and large for me to run at the pace I want. So, if I had a watch or wristband that could record various data for me whilst I run, that could certainly help a lot!
However, my iPod Nano pretty much performs all of these functions anyway - but, the data is somewhat inaccessible for me. I have Nike+, but I don't sync my iPod more than once every few weeks when I download a few new albums of music. Plus, I have to remember to turn it on/off. I'm not sure how accurate it is, either.

So, I'd be open to a sports-analysis type anklet or wristband. I think wearable tech with a purpose could be really interesting, though I don't think it's necessary - but then again, what actually is, other than going to work, exercising, having shelter, eating food and drinking water?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

[quote="totaldile"][/quote]

I definitely agree with that, Totaldile! For athletic activities, phones at times can be a bit too bulky. However, I rely on my communications especially if I am trying to coordinate where I am going/who I might be meeting - so having some form of communication would still be nice.. I suppose it is kind a hard notch to to hit.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

totaldile wrote:So, if I had a watch or wristband that could record various data for me whilst I run, that could certainly help a lot!

See, now HERE'S something I'd find useful! I'd LOVE to have that sort of thing at my disposal when I'm in my Lifetime Rec class. I could easily get an app for that on my phone or my iPod, and my 3DS will actually calculate how many steps I take, but all of those devices are a bit bulky for me to lug around the gym for half an hour.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Dongus

Post by Dongus »

Wearable tech?

pfft, it's a gimmick that'll fade until it's time for it.
boberto

Post by boberto »

Let's see...

I was pretty excited about Glass when it was first announced but the concept of head-mounted cameras without any indicator as to if they are recording or not gets creepier the more I think about it.

On a semi-related note I would venture as far to say that the Oculus Rift (and Sony's Project Morpheus) is the future of gaming. I had the opportunity to try out a couple demos of the Rift a few weeks ago and I was blown away; it was absolutely riveting. I've never had that sort of an experience before, truly feeling like you are inside of another world.

I think Apple missed a major opportunity with the sixth generation iPod Nano, smartwatches have a true and non-creepy application that I am a fan of. I'm contemplating getting a Moto 360 if the price isn't too steep, that thing is a hallmark achievement of industrial design and (right now) the standard to which all smartwatches should be held. Yeah, I know that's a bit of stretch seeing as it hasn't been released yet, but I am completely certain it'll be better than Samsung's monstrosity:

totaldile

Post by totaldile »

@boberto

Oh my god, the Moto 360 looks incredible.
Not sure exactly why I'd need it, but it definitely looks promising, and much more along the lines of a functional watch. It'd be neat if they added, for example, Nike+ functionality to it that could sync wirelessly with your PC.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Yeah, I agree with all the above comments about the Moto 360. Compared to the monstrosity and bulkiness that is the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch, it looks beautifully designed. Though I, too, would have to agree I don't know why the heck something like these watches would be a need or a must-have for somebody that already has a smartphone, and it seems like it's these kinds of people, ones that already own a smartphone, that are going to be buying these devices. I just personally don't see a reason to get it.

Google's Android is releasing a smartwatch development kit similar to what they're doing for phones so it looks like they aren't going anywhere and more companies will probably release these watches.
boberto

Post by boberto »

Well what's the point of a watch to begin with? They are expensive hunks of metal that look nice and tell time. That's it. The Moto 360 is (hopefully) comparable in price but exponentially more feature-packed. Neither is a must-buy, but that doesn't detract from their usefulness.

I hate when people say "you don't need that, why would you get it?" because you don't anything with the exception of food, water, and shelter. I don't mean to be an ass, this is more of a general statement towards anyone who has told me I'm impulsive or stupid for buying something I don't need.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

boberto wrote:Well what's the point of a watch to begin with? They are expensive hunks of metal that look nice and tell time. That's it. The Moto 360 is (hopefully) comparable in price but exponentially more feature-packed. Neither is a must-buy, but that doesn't detract from their usefulness.

I hate when people say "you don't need that, why would you get it?" because you don't anything with the exception of food, water, and shelter. I don't mean to be an ***, this is more of a general statement towards anyone who has told me I'm impulsive or stupid for buying something I don't need.
The skepticism on this thread stems more from how companies are kind of jumping the gun with this whole wearable tech thing, and how they seem uncertain how people would actually benefit. At least that's how I perceive it.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Hollabyte

Post by Hollabyte »

I agree with Boberto. :D I'm a big fan of Apple products, but the Moto 360 looks gorgeous. If I'm not swayed by whatever Apple releases this year, I'm thinking about switching to an android phone and getting the Moto 360. I want it. ;_;
👋 I used to be known as Prototype 🙂 🤖
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

boberto wrote:Well what's the point of a watch to begin with? They are expensive hunks of metal that look nice and tell time. That's it.
Have you ever worn a watch for a couple of months? After wearing one for a bit, going without one sucks. I keep looking at my wrist expecting to know the time… and nothing's there. I feel handicapped without it. The few seconds it takes to get my phone out of my pocket is actually a big deal when I just want to know the time quickly, and it's not an option if I'm currently walking or have my hands full.

I can easily imagine how, if my watch also showed text messages, weather, etc, it would become just as second nature as a normal watch right now. I have been waiting for years for someone to introduce a good smartwatch. With the Moto 360, I think it may have finally happened.
TheLastLink
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by TheLastLink »

On the other hand, it's more comfortable to hold a phone for an extended period of time than it is to hold your arm up so you can see your watch for an extended period of time.
Wowfunhappy
Administrator

Post by Wowfunhappy »

True, but with such a small screen it's unlikely to be something you would use for an extended period. What watches are great for—smart or not—is quick, glanceable information.

Although, I do really want to be able to make a video call on a watch. Not because it would actually be practice but because it would feel SO FREAKING COOL.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

That Moto 360 is very good looking. I've been waiting for a round smart watch that I can easily replace the strap to a leather one before I pick one up. I hope it fits both those!
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Semesto wrote:That Moto 360 is very good looking. I've been waiting for a round smart watch that I can easily replace the strap to a leather one before I pick one up. I hope it fits both those!
Hey, Semesto, you can do graphic design and whatnot, right? Moto's holding a contest to design the watchface and you can win a Moto 360. Maybe you should apply :P
Colinnn

Post by Colinnn »

I've been wearing a Pebble for almost a year now, and I've never regretted the purchase. I do wish it would play nicely with my iPhone, though. If wearable tech is going to be a big thing, the companies are going to need to come to some kind of agreement on compatibility.
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Woah, Moto 360 looks amazing holy crap.
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: