The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Facebook Bought The Oculus Rift

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Wazi

Facebook Bought The Oculus Rift

Post by Wazi »

Discuss.
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by ElectroYoshi »

That's kind of weird... What the heck would they gain from owning that?
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Nothing, they just must own EVERYTHING.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I personally think that the first paragraph of Mark Zuckerberg's statement kind of tells use at least a bit of their notion, "(b)ut at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences." I would assume this is in part with them looking ahead towards what sorts of platforms they want to be well established in within the next generations. We've sort of seen home consoles adopt the social networking motto, perhaps social media and games will play more hand in hand in the future - this kind of points to that.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Phantomboy wrote:We've sort of seen home consoles adopt the social networking motto, perhaps social media and games will play more hand in hand in the future - this kind of points to that.
I think you could easily argue that it's reaching a point where social media is playing hand in hand with not just game consoles, but gaming as a whole. Nowadays we have stuff like Steam and MiiVerse that are essentially gaming-based social networks.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing what they use it for. I hope they can actually find a use for it, because if they can't, that'd be pointless. Very pointless indeed.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Yeah, I can't disagree with the aspects of social media being brought into gaming in recent years. Although, for now at least it feels more akin to a cash-in on recent marketing trends over any sort of steps in the furtherance of the medium. Regardless, I know that Facebook has more than enough resources to direct dedication towards this piece of technology. I am sure that we will see more in regards to their plains in the next few years.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Well, imagine eventually using the oculus rift to visit family from afar.
Swords761

Post by Swords761 »

I'd rather have depth than breadth, so Facebook now owning Oculus concerns me because they're trying to do too many things in one company. If anyone else related to gaming had bought them (NVIDIA, Valve, etc.), I'd be confident they would put Oculus to good use with their products, but Facebook doesn't have any of their shit together and has way different priorities than VR gaming has. However, I suppose as long as they let Oculus operate as an independent entity and just deliver resources to the team, it'll be fine, but what company would give up all their money/connections without expecting something back for them in return?
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Swords761 wrote: However, I suppose as long as they let Oculus operate as an independent Entity and just deliver resources to the team, it'll be fine,
hi c:

Just imagine farmville... in 3D.

Seriously if that happens though I'll give up on humanity.

EDIT: Just read the entire article, and these statements in particular from Zuckerberg make me feel better:
Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.
So basically it sounds like Zuckerberg sees the potential and is buying it just to make more $$$, and since the Oculus community might be a group of people not part of the facebook community, he can use this as an opportunity to force them to use his website :)
:crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate: :crate:
Rabbidfan236

Post by Rabbidfan236 »

Entity wrote: Just imagine farmville... in 3D.
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote: Just imagine farmville... in 3D.

*Titanium shield*

Yeah, based on what I've read I feel like this was more of a marketing tactic than anything. Although I feel like they could've done something more effective and saved some serious cash. xD
boberto

Post by boberto »

I'll admit I was quite angry when I first heard the news, but I haven't given up hope yet. Zuckerberg and the Oculus guys are adamant that major changes will not result from the acquisition. Granted I have a deep-rooted distrust of Facebook but they did buy Instagram and they did buy Whatsapp and both function almost identical to how they did before they were acquired. If anything this could be very good for Oculus so long as Facebook doesn't meddle with them too much. More money and more exposure whilst still building the same platform (hopefully without mandatory Facebook integration).
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

boberto wrote:If anything this could be very good for Oculus so long as Facebook doesn't meddle with them too much.
Let's hope they don't take any pointers from Minor Ventures.
Wazi

Post by Wazi »

Entity wrote:Let's hope they don't take any pointers from Minor Ventures.
dw they never heard of that
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

Entity wrote:Let's hope they don't take any pointers from Minor Ventures.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

But yeah, Oculus could definitely do a lot for the video game industry, so I think Facebook buying it out and giving them that extra publicity could easily be a great thing. Assuming Facebook doesn't... well... you know. xD
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

Facebook is doing some really odd moves imo coming from a social network-based company. They recently bought WhatsApp, a popular instant messaging service which I guess I could understand if they were using that to improve their own messaging app, but instead they're just going to leave it like it was and not do anything.

Now they've acquired Oculus, and I just don't know what the heck they could do with that kind of technology. If they do what boberto brought up and just own it but not tamper too much with it, are they just buying all these things for the sole sake of owning it? It's just a bit odd for me to see them acquiring these companies...
Entity
Editorial Staff

Post by Entity »

Maybe they simply recognized the profitability of Oculus. They'll definitely be making money off it, so why not?