The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Speed Reading, Spirtz And Utility

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Wowfunhappy wrote:The one thing that might be hard is typing...
I've actually been impressed with the speech recognition of some phones. I have the google, one - thing, and I am able speak at a fairly natural speed, intonation and such and still have it do a really good job. So, I think that would be the way to go with a device like that.
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

You mean Google Now, Phantom? :P

I have the Moto X phone and it has this "Touchless Control" feature where it's always listening for the "Ok Google Now" command. My experience with it has actually been pretty good. It's able to understand me like 98% of the time, perfectly. You can even speak naturally after the phrase as one sentence like: "Ok Google Now, call Home" without stopping and it's able to understand.

The downside I see in this, though, with speech recognition you'll always have to be talking to type anything; something that might not work if you're in a place that requires people to be silent like, say, a movie theater.

I wish something could be developed that interpreted brain waves or something in the same way speech is recognized, that inputs whatever you're thinking of directly as text :P
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Man, I think the major set back to that would be those like me, who sort of think in concepts and definitions and less so specific words. Although, I bet some sort of brainwave to letter could work - like if you think "W-E-L-C-O-M-E" letter by letter, maybe that could interpret better. It would be difficult as I would assume there is a lot of clutter-thought, you know, brainwaves of sensory, auditory interpretation, planning and thus thinking out your sentences will all sort of run into that type of problem.

Haha, before this becomes "Let's talk about input methods" :P I wonder what the learning to read curve is with this. Like a young child, they will often hold on a single word to sound it out, I am not sure if being taught on a system like this would be very easy, since they kind of rely on going letter by letter not just using their immediate-sensory-parsing-brain-drone-system thing.. Like, I think that sort of makes sense, right?
bionicnacho
Administrator

Post by bionicnacho »

I looked up some brainwave recognition stuff and I found this thing. I think it's pretty cool how they're able to interpret the thoughts and even use focus intensity. If they can do this, I'm sure outputting text would be easier to do. Having that band on your head, though, would be kinda weird.
--
I'd say that using conventional methods to learn to read would be better, or just setting Spritz to a really low WPM speed that gives the user time to go letter by letter. My thought is, that once they learn more and more words, when they focus on that one red letter, they'll be able to actually learn to read faster because it kinda breaks the habit of going letter by letter and just makes you look at a word as a whole.

Comprehension levels, though, for young children using this technology I think could be pretty low. I think it'd be best to learn to read conventionally, to later move on to things like Spritz. Another thing is that you can't really use Spritz in books and things of the like, but with everything going digital nowadays I guess that's not much of a problem...
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

you know why spritz works so well? It's cause you have to focus so hard on the word to be able to keep up. There's no rewinding, and you can very easily lose your place. If someone distracts you while you're reading, you have no chance of recovering.

So yes, spritz is great.
but it won't become the hot new way to read.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I don't know. I could see it become a good way for students, especially, to study and get through textbooks, novels and other required reads. So, yeah - I doubt it could replace every instance of reading in society, as that requires the user to prompt the start. However, I don't know - I could see it gaining more ground on mobile platforms, in in small burst.

But no, I don't think every written form of text will be replaced by this. Nor do I think this hurt the physical-book industry. I do think it is a nice bit of new tech that could be applied to many situations in order deliver a mass amount of information.
papaya
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Post by papaya »

I don't know about textbooks, but it could be very useful for english students who have to read and re-read books or whatever. They should have to read it through normally at least once, but if you already read it you don't really want to spend as long reading it.

My issue with textbooks involves things like diagrams or images. How would they work with spritz?
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

Graphs and charts are very true, I think any sort of book that replies on a particular predetermined pacing, then there is an issue. (ex: Look at this chart, study this painting, or answer the follow questions) So, I don't think it is useful everywhere. I think you've made a pretty good point that textbooks may not be the best application for Spirits. What I was essentially trying to say, that lengthy required literature may be benefited by having this technology as a valid option.

From my minor experience, I was able to comprehend all of the text presented, extremely extremely easily. I know that I am not a base model, but it is a fair testament that large bodies of text can be comprehended when being presented in this way. Given there are little distraction, or there is an ability to pause the text.