The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Vocaloid Discussion

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
Phantomboy

Vocaloid Discussion

Post by Phantomboy »

To introduce Vocaloid to the unfamiliar, Vocaloid is a program that enables users to synthesize singing by typing in lyrics and melody. It uses synthesizing technology with specially recorded vocals of voice actors or singers. To paraphrase wikipedia.

Each avatar, or more simply put each voice bank, is given a sometimes arbitrarily defined but sometimes specifically designed character to accompany the voice. Vocaloids are typically recorded exclusively for one language, with extensions for multilingual uses. To be blunt, even specifically English designed voice banks, they are at times difficult to fully understand. This has to do with how many different stresses, melded sounds and exceptions to pronunciation. However, Vocaloids designed for vowel-consonant syllabic languages are much simpler and therefore much more precise.

With all unnecessary rhetoric out of the way, let's chat!

Are you interested in Vocaloid? If not, that is alright. If so, do you have a particularly favourite avatar? Do you have a favourite song?

For the interested, here are some of my favourite songs and covers :)
Spoiler
[media=youtube]FMDxKRx10mU[/media]

[media=youtube]-D23aBPOc6g[/media]

[media=youtube]vo1OiJ4Pa64[/media]
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff

Post by ZeroSwordsMaster »

I'm not a vocaloid fan but there's this one thing called "Kagerou Project" or "Heat Haze Project" (Along with a Manga called Kagerou Days and an anime Mekakucity Actors)and the original songs for it used Vocaloids (I think IA and maybe Miku) and my favourite two are "Outer Science" and "Kagerou Daze"
Minor blood warning
Spoiler
[media=youtube]Ui4TXA9oFmg[/media]
[media=youtube]A7KNYk4f3XQ[/media]
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

I have heard of that project, I wanted to get into but I am still unsure where to start. If you are interested, perhaps this is a bit of a secant from the original topic, but if you are interested there is a utaite, or singer who does English translations and covers of Japanese vocaloid songs - including some songs from the Kagerou Project. Her name is JubyPhonic and here are two of the songs she has covered;

[media=youtube]kaEoYlz5s_w[/media]

[media=youtube]nZHXSN6lEEw[/media]
ZeroSwordsMaster
Editorial Staff

Post by ZeroSwordsMaster »

Yeah I've actually seen some of her covers and they're really good.
I wouldn't recommend the anime personally. it's pretty good up until the last few episodes because it just does a "happily ever after" ending and it's kinda eh.
If you want to full story read Kagerou Days
totaldile

Post by totaldile »

Ah yes, Vocaloid.
I'll shamefully admit I probably listen to this way more than I should :P

I'm a bit of a 96neko fan - listen to her covers of Yoshiwara Lament and Orange, they're awesome. In terms of English singers, my favourites are the aforementioned Jubyphonic and another girl, Rachie. They're both amazing, but I think I like the songs Rachie covers better.

My favourite song at the moment is Luvoratorrrrrrrry :33
Rachie and Jubyphonic have also done a wonderful English cover of it soo :33
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

totaldile wrote: I'm a bit of a 96neko fan - listen to her covers of Yoshiwara Lament and Orange, they're awesome. In terms of English singers, my favourites are the aforementioned Jubyphonic and another girl, Rachie. They're both amazing, but I think I like the songs Rachie covers better.
I have listened to a bit of 96neko, I really like her Happy Synthesizer cover. As well as Matryoshka, and rolling girl. Not to pull too much towards utaites, but as for English covers have you heard of "kran. ✧" or "♡ L i z z ♡"? They are quite good as well.

Two relatively new vocaloids are anon & kanon, which from what I have heard they are pretty good. They are both Japanese vocaloids and much like Len and Rin, are a twin set, they both are purchased together. All, pretty exciting!