The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Laptop Help?

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry

Is this possible?

Mabye?
No votes
Mabye?
No votes

Total votes: 0

Htenneb

Laptop Help?

Post by Htenneb »

I need help making a homemade laptop.
I had a laptop for 2 yrs then it broke so I got a new one sort of....
7.1 months later it broke. It turns on and then shuts off then turns on again and the base gets piping hot. I don't here the fan coming on?!?!?! Is it that?
The day before it shut off, I let it cool and then it worked fine till (above) happened.
So I'm wondering if I can use a 2011,2007 and a 2005 pc to make a new one?
Anything will help.
Phantomboy

Post by Phantomboy »

It depends on the types of computers each of those other three are, as well as, what is wrong with the main computer.

You may be able to salvage parts from other laptops, but if they are different brands it may be difficult to fit the laptop back together, depending what needs to be replaced. It may be worth taking the broken laptop into a PC shop and explain the situation. If they are able to test and say what component is specifically damaged, that would greatly help you looking into what is needed to be replaced :)
Htenneb

Post by Htenneb »

They said it was the hard disk but idk cuz' I'm able to go into System Recovery
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Must have a Dell. :P My Dell's motherboard died 3 weeks after warranty ended and had serious heat problems. it made the plastic so brittle it would literally just fall apart. It was the original body style of these, 2012 I think.

It sounds like your RAM slots are going out on your motherboard with it shutting off randomly. The fan not coming on is pretty common, try to get a third party program to make the fan spin because the heat could cause some damage.

You could salvage parts if they fit but I would have a pro check to see what is wrong then get a RMA on it if you can.
Htenneb

Post by Htenneb »

Note: Can't get into Windows so I don't know about third party programs.
So my RAM is dead? BTW my hard-drive had some stuff on it's plastic that looked burnt up. (IDEK)
And also when I use my laptop I use it on my bed/sheet, So it may block air holes at the bottom and it got very hot sometimes also.
Sebastian Lawe
Design Competitions Voted: 0

Post by Sebastian Lawe »

Check your BIOS settings, it might have an option that forces the fan to always stay on.
Semesto

Post by Semesto »

Htenneb wrote:Note: Can't get into Windows so I don't know about third party programs.
So my RAM is dead? BTW my hard-drive had some stuff on it's plastic that looked burnt up. (IDEK)
And also when I use my laptop I use it on my bed/sheet, So it may block air holes at the bottom and it got very hot sometimes also.
Not RAM but the RAM slots. It sure sounds like that is a screwed up laptop though.
Put your RAM stick into the other slot and try that.
Baufritz
Location: Trapped on a huge round rock hurtling with immense speeds around a fiery star.
Design Competitions Voted: 2

Post by Baufritz »

Htenneb wrote:I need help making a homemade laptop.
Good luck with that.
It turns on and then shuts off then turns on again and the base gets piping hot. I don't here the fan coming on?!?!?! Is it that?
Check if your fan is working properly, test it with a battery and jumper wires.
So I'm wondering if I can use a 2011,2007 and a 2005 pc to make a new one?
A a lot of PCs were made in 2011,2007 and 2005. Can you be a bit more specific with model name, brand etc.?
That's always bad... plus, if your fan keeps cutting out, that could set the whole thing on fire eventually... if you are going to use it on your bed (or anything with a soft surface), try to put a tray (just a piece of wood'll do fine) in between your laptop and your bed to keep the air vents free.

To be honest, I'm not very fond of laptop repair, it tends to get a bit messy and costly... if the motherboard has issues (which I'm assuming from Semesto's post), it's often cheaper to just buy a new laptop than to repair the old one.
If it's broken, fix it.
If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Htenneb

Post by Htenneb »

Okay but I had the pc for a long time. The fan came on too....
But everytime I try to get in to Logon/Welcome Screen it sends me in a loop.
Anyway I getting a new computer 6gbram intel processor....etc $496.
Waiting for UPS...

BTW you know any good shipping company that can get stuff for Walmart here?