The forum has been archived
While the forum may not be active, the community still lives on Discord! Click here to join us.

Troll - Shane Koyczan

Phones, computers, tablets, and all other forms of electronic wizardry
ElectroYoshi
Design Competitions Voted: 1

Troll - Shane Koyczan

Post by ElectroYoshi »

I'll let the mods decide if this belongs here or in OT.

[media=youtube]670if6Etx0o[/media]

This is a poem about trolling. I decided to share it here because it provides the perfect counterargument to something I hear way too often from people trying to justify trolling: That there's a difference between trolling and cyberbullying. This mindset needs to die. At first there was a difference, but now that cyberbullies hide behind the guise of trolling, there is little use in trying to separate the two. I could go on and on about that, but I think it's only fair to let this poem speak for itself.

Discuss.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.
papaya

Post by papaya »

before i make my reply, lets take the time to appreciate this dude's neckbeard
i mean jesus christ that's horrible. look at it. Never let your beard grow even close to this. Looks like you've got a dead animal stapled to your chin.

also the poem is really not that good I mean I generally dislike this guy's stuff but it honestly sounds like something that would be churned out from a high school english class. Moreso than his other ludicrously cheesy stuff.

This is a dangerous poem too. What is his goal here, his message? Is he speaking to the trolls? Let me tell you, calling them all the nasty things that he did in this poem will only spur them to carry on 'trolling'.
There's a lot of parallels between this and his other worthless poem 'to this day', about how he's such a big baby he can't get over things that happened in school years ago. He seems to be really, really sensitive so much so that he has to come up with like 30 different metaphors for calling someone rude names over the internet.

it's complete drivel, plain and simple. This guy is an insult to poets.

as for the message itself? I'm of the opinion that anyone who seriously lets themselves be affected by 'cyberbullying' almost deserves it. Cyberbullying is not like regular bullying at all. There are so many ways to disconnect yourself from a cyber bully, it's crazy. I'll let the good tyler the creator explainhow to avoid those mean bullies.
Is trolling the same as cyberbullying? no. Not at all. People troll for a reaction, not an action. They don't do it to incite someone to hang themselves, because most of the time they don't know the person on the other end. for cyberbullying to work it has to be coupled with actual bullying (otherwise, ykno).
When I 'epic troll'd' on the voxelus forums, it was just so people could react in funny ways to me and I'd have something to laugh at for my efforts. Hell, you could say when I respond to pig flags with just 'hello' or 'ha ha xD' it's 'trolling'. It wasn't at first, but then I learnt that it really pissed certain members off so I did it a little bit more. Is that cyberbullying? Am I a cyberbully? bloody hell I sure hope not.

the poem comes across as pathetic, the message (if there is one?) is wasted and troll =/= cyberbully.

god damn
ElectroYoshi

Post by ElectroYoshi »

OK, first of all,
papaya wrote:There's a lot of parallels between this and his other worthless poem 'to this day', about how he's such a big baby he can't get over things that happened in school years ago. He seems to be really, really sensitive so much so that he has to come up with like 30 different metaphors for calling someone rude names over the internet.
It's not a matter of someone being all WAAAAHHH I WAS BULLIED WHEN I WAS YOUNGER WAHHHH AND I'M STILL NOT OVER IT WAHHHHHH or whatever. It's someone writing about bullying, which like it or not, is a very real problem in our society, even now that this guy is an adult.

Secondly,
Is trolling the same as cyberbullying? no. Not at all. People troll for a reaction, not an action. They don't do it to incite someone to hang themselves, because most of the time they don't know the person on the other end. for cyberbullying to work it has to be coupled with actual bullying (otherwise, ykno).
It doesn't make a freaking difference that trolls aren't trying to get people to commit suicide. The fact remains that there are VERY malicious trolls out there, and even if they aren't hell-bent on getting someone to off themselves, it happens. And don't try to tell me it doesn't. Even if you assume that every last one of those stories is false, the fact that trolling can be malicious enough to make such a thing feasible is indicative of a problem.

Third,
as for the message itself? I'm of the opinion that anyone who seriously lets themselves be affected by 'cyberbullying' almost deserves it. Cyberbullying is not like regular bullying at all. There are so many ways to disconnect yourself from a cyber bully, it's crazy. I'll let the good tyler the creator explainhow to avoid those mean bullies.
If you actually think someone deserves to be bullied, that's just... I can't even describe it, it's so stupid and disgusting. If some jerk stalks and harasses someone else online for no reason whatsoever, the victim is a big baby because they "can't handle it"? Really? That's what you think? That seriously is what you think?

Fourth,
It doesn't matter that the goal is not necessarily to make someone off themselves. The fact is, it does happen, whether that was the goal or not. And don't try to tell me it doesn't. It also doesn't matter that they don't know the other person. Bullying does not constitute harassing someone you know. It's harassing someone at all.

Fifth,
When I 'epic troll'd' on the voxelus forums, it was just so people could react in funny ways to me and I'd have something to laugh at for my efforts. Hell, you could say when I respond to pig flags with just 'hello' or 'ha ha xD' it's 'trolling'. It wasn't at first, but then I learnt that it really pissed certain members off so I did it a little bit more. Is that cyberbullying? Am I a cyberbully? bloody hell I sure hope not.
Troll--A person who posts annoying and/or malicious things online to get an inflammatory response because they think it's funny.

Bully--A person who does annoying and/or malicious things to others to get an inflammatory response because they think it's funny.

In other words, that's EXACTLY what cyber-bullying is. You are literally saying this kind of crap is OK because it's "funny". It's not funny. It's not even sad. It's just pure malice. Nobody deserves the crap trolls pull. Stories about trolls have caused me to sympathize with people I don't know. People I don't even like. People you couldn't PAY me to put up with in real life. Nobody deserves this kind of crap. Nobody.
I need a shot again, that sweet adrenaline.